Veteran's Day was this past weekend, and it had me singing Madonna in the shower this morning.

If we took a holiday
Took some time to celebrate
Just one day out of life
It would be, it would be so nice

Why was I so giddy so early in the AM?  Because holidays bring higher grosses to Broadway, Off-Broadway and just about every tourist attraction this city has to offer.  NYC is a tourist magnet on long weekends, so all our ships rise, every time the people get a little shore leave.

So . . . um . . . he says Oliver-like . . . please sir, I want some more?

I mean, come on Federal Government, there's a Federal Holiday almost every month of the year, save for March, April, June and August.  Surely we can find some reason to celebrate during those months to give our grosses a little goose?  (I thought a quick google check might find some holidays under consideration, but I was shocked to come up empty on this one.)

Should we start lobbying?  :-)

Ok, that's a pipe dream and decades away.  So if another long weekend isn't going to happen, maybe if the US started implementing some of the vacation policies of other countries around the world and we'd see some more action.  According to this report in HuffPo, the US get the least amount of vacation days in the world!

More time off = more time to be a tourist = healthier Broadway

I know, I know, this is a pretty macro idea, and I'm not asking you to write letters to your congressman demanding a National Fruitcake Day or saying you should go into your boss's office and demand as much vacation as your Italian brethren.

But it is important to remember that when some businesses are closed, others flourish.

Got a comment?  I love 'em, so comment below!  Email subscribers, click here, then scroll down, to say what's on your mind!)

—————-

FUN STUFF

- Win 2 tickets to see Lysistrata Jones on Broadway.  Click here!

- Only 3 spots left in Davenport Theatrical Director of Online Marketing Steven Tartick's "The Show Must Go Online" seminar on 11/17.  Register today!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

9 Responses to Madonna had it right when she wrote “Holiday”.

1. Peg Golden says:

Hi Ken! Have you thought of having a ‘roving photographer’ on stage at intermission to snap pics of the audience on stage? You could sell them in the lobby after the show and make a little money! Also, is the encore song “Day by Day” or something else upbeat?? The more upbeat the better and people sing and dance down the street after the show. Just a few thoughts!

2. Margie Goldsmith says:

Great article in today’s AM NY!

3. Doug Hicton says:

That there’s some fancy rhymin’, Madonna. Now I have to unroll my eyes from the back of my head.

4. Larry Starr says:

Ken – yeah, except more days off, for some, mean more days with NO pay (and less money to use for those necessities like Broadway theater tickets!). Or more days with no work produced and thus reduced productivity so less profitable businesses; less profitable businesses could lead to CLOSED businesses and fewer jobs for even more people (sort of like what happens when a show closes due to lousy reviews!) How would the theater do if you had to pay more of the performers for more days when they weren’t working?
    If the US started implementing some of the vacation policies of, say, Greece or France, we’d probably have the same problems they are having! Not really something that is worth emulating, and certainly NOT good for Broadway!!
    Just looking at the other side of the equation… one man’s treasure and all that.
    Take care.

5. Danny says:

Isn’t it a missed opportunity then that so many shows are dark on Thanksgiving? (Kudos to Godspell for being open! I might just see it that night…)

6. Paul Mendenhall says:

One thing that would help is for the USA to finally pull itself out of the 19th century and get rid of the semester system in schools and switch to four quarters with 3 weeks vacation between each one. That would spread vacation time throughout the year, and effectively quadruple the odds of a family coming to NYC for a theatre trip.

7. linda giordano says:

Hi Ken, I think Peg Golden’s idea is great!. I would love hearing and seeing people dance down the streets of NY singing “Day by Day”.

8. marc says:

Ken
    California has Cesar Chavez day as a state holiday March 31st, that can be made federal
    I think Flag Day should be a federal holiday for June
    April should have Easter Monday as a Federal Holiday, alternatively(to avoid religion) World Health Day is in April, as is Earth Day and Volunteer Week and Tax Day –all these can be combined into one Federal Holiday for the month
    and on August 1st 1498 Columbus reached the mainland of North America so that should be a federal holiday
    just some thoughts….since I agree with you 100%

9. Bryan David says:

Dear Mr. Davenport, et al:
    I too love this time of year. My wife pointed out that although I have my share of, ‘R’ rated shows:
    Whitechapel” ©
    The Life & Times
    of:
    ‘Jack The Ripper’
    A Musical Love Story! ™
    (18 Demos recorded)
    © Copyright 1996/2007
    Bryan David/Brandon Kress
    All Rights Reserved
    I can an have shown my sense of humor; rated ‘GP’ for a musical when I wrote the Book & Lyrics for:
    “Wilde About Me!” ©
    The Life, Loves & Lawsuits
    of:
    Oscar Wilde! ™
    (My/our 1st demo is: “Dance With The Devil” ©)
    © Copyright 2010 Bryan David/Brandon Kress
    All Rights Reserved
    Then there’s an; out-an-out-right family friendly – (Walt Disney would have liked it)that’s so squeaky clean; it as ‘G’ Rated as ‘G’ can be:
    “Christmas Dreams & Holiday Wishes” ©
    (And the Christmas Fairy Too!) ™
    © Copyright 2010 Bryan David All Rights Reserved
    I took 24 traditional Christmas songs (+ one original song) and wrote the Two-Act Book around them.
    When you & your team accepts/doesn’t accept my 1st musical; I have a 1/2 dozen more now & will most likely have a couple or five (5) more ready for the 2012-2013 season. (Yes, I am still looking for a producer with vision.)
    Don’t get me wrong; I like a good revival too, but it’s about time we took back the ‘Hit Musical’ from the ‘imported cargo’ list & put it back on the ‘exported cargo’ list at customs. Just one man’s opinion. Opinions are like Book & Lyrics, I’ve got more of them than the average person.
    I’ve been writing about as long as you’ve been producing. You are a very SUCCESSFUL PRODUCER. When I can obtain 1/2 the success you’ve EARNED at what you do; I will be happy. Now I am ready, willing & able to sit in on our pitch meeting after you’ve read the the 300 words (more or less) that ‘overview ‘ your assistant(s) hands/handed to you; for the 1st Musical one on this list; then the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th…
    Mr. Davenport if you please…
    Bryan David