Pretty-in.jpgnkOne of the top three questions I get in my inbox (along with “How do I raise money for my show?” and “Do you know a good shrink because if I’m producing a show I must be crazy?”) is . . .

“How can I market my show with no money?”

I began my career working on the management staffs of big Broadway musicals that had big Broadway ad budgets . . . so imagine my shock and awe when I started producing Off Broadway shows on my own, and had little or no ad budget to speak of.

Well, I tell you what, never did I learn more about marketing and advertising than when I had no money to spend.  This is true about anything, of course . . . limit your resources, and put your keister on the line, and your survival instincts will take over.  You’ll get very, very creative . . . or die (aka your show will close).  (Need an example – think about Molly Ringwald’s dress in Pretty in Pink.)

I’m proud to say that the first show I learned a lot of my tactics on (which I now apply to Broadway shows) is still running today, over 7.5 years later.

Since so many of you ask this question, I thought it was time I shared these tactics with you, along with all the new ones we’ve picked up along with the way with my other shows, including Altar Boyz, 13, and Godspell . . . in the hopes that you can get your show off the ground and break that 7.5 year record.

We’ve designed a seminar to take you through all of our secret tips and tricks on how to market your show with no money (or for very little).  If you’ve got a show coming up, whether it’s a showcase, a festival production, or even a big Broadway show and you just wanna shake it up, or even if you are just looking for a way to understand how to get the word out, this is the seminar for you.  In fact, take it and we guarantee we’ll either save you the cost of your seminar on your next show, or we’ll make that money for you in sales with one of our tips or tricks.

Some topics we’ll discuss include:

• Free online opportunities that you may not know exist.
  • How to find no risk, commission only opportunities
  • Where to find the best bargains on promotional materials
  • If you want to spend money, where do you spend it?
  • Empowering your audience to be your sales team
  • And more

The seminar will take place on:

Tuesday, March 20th
6:30 – 8:30 PM
My office
250 West 49th St.  #301

Because this is the first time we’re presenting this requested seminar, we’re offering it for a special price, that, once again, is guaranteed.  Save it or earn it, or you get your money back.

There are a very limited number of seats available, so click here for more info and to get your seat today.

(Got a comment? I love ‘em, so comment below! Email subscribers, click here, then scroll down, to say what’s on your mind!)

——

- Win 2 tickets to my reading of Garage Band!  Click here.

- Take the Musical Boot Camp!  Click here for info and an application.

- Broadway Road Trip from DC on 4/28.  Click here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

10 Responses to How to market your show with no money.

1. Amyleigh1982 says:

So when is DTE-West being founded for all us poor shmoes on the wrong coast? :(

2. I would love an opportunity to participate (or just view) via web conference.

3. Starr says:

I think setting up a web cam or conference would be a great way to get some info out to the boondocks. I live in Tulsa and find it hard to get over to New York. Love the blog!

4. I second (or third or fourth???) the above comments. Not only will a webinar expand your audience, but, it should bring in a few bucks for the ‘King of Old B’way’.
    —sjc

5. PM says:

Yes, a WEBINAR would be FANTASTIC!!

6. Michael Orzechowski says:

I wish that these seminars were recorded or on a live stream. I know myself and other folks I work with (in the local theatre business here in Baltimore) would live to see some of these – and would gladly pay for an online video. I think it’s a great way to promote and make some cash – not to mention reach us who are not in NY. I put up my first written play (Noise Pollution: The Judofist Story – which is coming out in publication this month – hooray!) on a zero dollar budget and would have KILLED to have some tips on this topic! Keep up the good work and keep the seminars rolling! You’ve got good things to share!

7. Ksenia Roshchakovsky says:

Ditto to all of the comments above. Live streaming or a webinar would be great. There is a theater world outside of New York.

8. Ken…you are my hero! I’ll be there!

9. DEMETRIA DANIELS says:

PLEASE COUNT ME IN FOR MARCH 20
    DEMETRIA DANIELS

10. Michele Crowley says:

Ken, I have been working on a play called Band of Sisters (by Arlene Hutton) for about 3 years now and finally have a script that is ready to move forward with another private reading in April and then a public reading in May or June. I think that much of the marketing will be done online and my goal is to reach out to women’s organizations including women veterans of america and other orgs that may be interested in the show and willing to help publicize it. The plan is for a run in NYC in 2012-13 and then a tour of the U.S., esp. to communities where there are military bases. As a single parent, my resources are limited, but I think that this seminar would be truly beneficial to me as the producer of Band of Sisters and I hope you will consider me a qualified applicant for the lottery to attend the seminar next Tuesday. All the best, Michele Crowley, maccrowley@aol.com