Producing shows can be one of the most rewarding professions on the planet.  Watching audience members smile and laugh and cry as they take in a show that you helped put together is just awesome.

But as rewarding as it is, it can also be difficult, especially when so much of what we do is out of our control (and come on, all you Type A Control Freaks out there, you know what I’m talking about).

One of the hardest things any Producer has to do is look into the eyes of your cast and crew and partners and tell them that the show we’ve all worked so hard to put together will be ending its run earlier than any of us had hoped.

And that’s what I had to do last night at Circle in the Square.

After nine joy-filled months of singing about love, Godspell will end its run on June 24th.

As you know from last week’s blog, we had hoped for a sizable bump in sales from our Tony appearance on Sunday night.  And while we were thrilled with the reaction from our number (click here to see it), and sales did take a tick up, it wasn’t enough (especially facing the two extremely difficult July 4th weeks coming up – other shows, look out, there’s a storm a comin’).

Of course, we’re all disappointed.  And maybe even a little angry at times.  We wouldn’t be human if we weren’t.  But, we put joy in the hearts of over One Hundred and Fifty Three Thousand people (and counting) since we started performances on October 13th.  And, as I said in the press release that went out last night, while this production of Godspell may not be at Circle in the Square past the 24th of June, it will be in our hearts and the hearts of everyone who saw it forever.  And that’s something we’re all proud of.

If you haven’t seen it, you must.  Especially if you’re one of those folks that thought the show wasn’t for you, or that you’ve seen other productions of Godspell before.  Trust me, you’ve never seen it like this, or with a cast like this (they are stars-to-be and you’ll want to have seen them in their first big break).  And most likely, you’ll never get this chance again.

There are 15 shows left.  Click here to get your tickets.  And because you’re a blog reader, I’m making some seats available at only $50.  Click here and come.

(Got a comment? I love ‘em, so comment below!  Email subscribers, click here then scroll down, to say what’s on your mind!)

——

- Win tickets to Murder in the First at 59E59!  Click here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

16 Responses to The Godspell Update: We built a beautiful city.

1. Lisa B says:

I loved Godspell both times that we saw it – once with Hunter and once with Corbin. I am proud to have had a chance to have been part of something so wonderful and full of heart and joy. Ken, even though we met only once, you have been an inspiration with your boundless enthusiasm, passion and love for this show and all those involved. Now that I have been following your blog a while too, I also realize how smart and innovative you are. I wish you continued success and if you ever again need a “people of” kind of support for a project, my husband and I are willing. Thank you for this ride!

2. Frayne says:

Bravo

• Michael Stevens says:

Well said! This is one of the best things I have ever been apart of! Count me in on your next adventure.

3. Daniel says:

I’m absolutely gutted that I’m not going to get the chance to see this. I knew it was a long shot that it would still be running when I’m in New York July next year, but even so.

Godspell was the first show I ever saw at the age of five in a community theatre production and I’ve loved it ever since.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to listen to my copy of the cast album and weep.

4. Robert says:

I was really hoping you would last through the summer as I had plans to run up and see it in July or August. Why aren’t more shows recorded? My wish, a 2 DVD set with the following: 1. This production 2. The movie and 3. The original cast if it is in the archives. I have been in the audience when shows have been recorded for the archives. Why wouldn’t they be released. Has “Memphis” on DVD hurt sales? People want to see more than ALW and SS productions. Any chance of a tour?

5. Deb Morgan says:

To the producers, directors and actors of Godspell: I brought my husband to New York in March as a birthday gift. While I am a Broadway musical junkee, he’s fairly new to the experience. He had never been to New York much less a show on Broadway. We have been to many shows here in San Antonio on the Broadway circuit. I pre-purchased tickets to The Book of Mormon, How To Succeed and Godspell. As a high school student, I performed in something called Matt & Co (in 1974) loosely based on Godspell. I thought it would be fun to relive the music. We saw the other two shows first. On the day we went to see Godspell, I worried that maybe we should have gone to it first since we simply loved the other two shows so much. I was slightly worried that we might be disappointed. It turns out, we saved the best for last. From our seats in row two, we felt we were a part of the show. My favorite numbers included By My Side, On the Willows, Turn Back and Beautiful City. I have been playing the CD nonstop since then. Godspell was by far our favorite of the three shows. I heard today that the show is closing. How I would love to get my daughter to this show (she’s 16) but we are too far away in San Antonio to make this trip. I just wanted you all to know the show is FANTASTIC. I saw you on the Tony’s the other night—Bravo! I so hope this show finds its way on tour. I have told so many of my theater friends about the show and many have come to see you all in it. Please consider a tour…we’d be lined up around the block to see you in San Antonio. Wishing you all much success. And congratulations on this marvelous revival. Deb

6. Nancy Paris says:

I wanted to add my voice to the chorus of kudos for the show. You’re right, this production of “Godspell” was unlike any that I had ever seen. The cast reached out and held you enthralled, the set and staging were absolutely ingenious…we loved it! And Ken, I don’t think there is a producer out there like you…truly an inspiration for us all, on either side of the footlights.

7. Ken,
    Just want to say:
    Been reading your blog for years, and your courage, and vision are ever inspiring. You are the light of the world and the salt of the Earth.

So how does a person become an investor in your next project?

:-)

8. Tanya Roundy says:

This is horrible! I have been looking forward to seeing this show since we knew we were coming to NY this summer. So sad! As a theatre teacher/director it is sad to remember the money side of things and wish it could be for the art we love! Good luck on the next venture though, it is a beautiful show!

9. A.J. Muhammad says:

Thank you for producing a diverse and multicultural revival of Godspell!

10. Lorraine Goewey says:

I for one (obviously not alone, after reading the comments) was looking forward to seeing Godspell. The first show I saw in NYC was Godspell back in the 70′s. It certainly locked in a love for musicals. This year I was privledged to co-direct Godspell at our local community theater. We were at our final dress rehearsal and everyone was tired and a little cranky until I read the letter that you sent to our cast and crew. I am sure we were not the only show that received the letter, but I have to say it changed the mood that night and I believe also added just what was needed to wow our audiences. Each night they had me read the letter again, as if it were the first time they heard it. We were planning to come down as a cast and crew and seeing the show. Please know you inspired our show and that we are saddened that yor run is coming to an early end!

11. Josh says:

Having trouble finding those $50 tickets through the website. Any help?

12. Ted Waltmire says:

We saw Godspell Christmas day 4 hours after we hit town. I had played keyboards for several productions and was captivated by the fresh perspective and new arrangements. We were lucky enough to sit directly behind Charlie in the first row and had a lovely conversation with him. When Hunter sang Beautiful City and Chalie so passionately provided the accompaniment I was in tears. That is what theater can do. I am in the process of preparing my own show to debut at Second City in Chicago about my recovery from a stroke. I hope we can Mach the energy and passion that Godspell brought to audiences. Everyone connected with Godspell should be proud.
    Ted

13. Jonathan says:

I brought my family to see Godspell in February. We carefully chose this show because we wanted a wonderful experience for our childrens’ first Broadway production. They had high expectations of interacting with actors they had seen on TV. I carefully warned them that interaction was highly unlikely. How surprised I was! They came home having spoken to their idols, with pictures and souvenirs. Morgan even sang to my 15 year-old son on the isle and I think he’s still blushing.

I started reading your blog and was impressed with your desire to be transparent. I hoped that all your innovation would lead to a longer run, but I am excited to see what you do next. Our prayers are for your future success!

14. Rachel says:

I saw this show in February – my first Broadway show ever. Although I haven’t been to another show since, I have a hard time believing that I’ll ever enjoy another one as much as I enjoyed Godspell. It was absolutely incredible, and if I lived closer to the beautiful city, I’d see it every night. THANK YOU for making my first experience so memorable, and best of luck in the future!!

15. Dan says:

I was planning on buying my tickets for july 3rd, since that is my next chance to get to the city. I was dying to see this show again. When my mom first “surprised” me with tickets, I was kinda disappointed. I have seen the show in four different venues, including the movie, and have never been even remotely impressed, but I can say with ease that this is the second best production I have ever seen, and am completely heart broken that I can’t get to the theater in the next week to see it again. If only this bump can carry you through the next 4 weeks instead of two, I would be there!