Rebecca has been on quite a ride for the past few years.  She kind of reminds me of Whitney Kropp.  She’s the girl who gets told she’s going to the big dance . . . and gets all dolled up . . . and her fancy schmancy date never shows.

And then someone does it to her again.  And again.

Rebecca‘s London production was canceled.  And then her Broadway production was canceled.

And then, the rescheduled Broadway Production was delayed.

And now, as first reported by Michael Riedel yesterday, it was canceled again.

The poor girl.  If I had an extra 4.5 million lying around.  She’d have it.

But ok, let’s face it. You can’t feel bad for a musical.  She’s a thing.  But you can feel bad for the countless numbers of actors, musicians, designers, stagehands, merch sellers, marketing directors, investors, and more that won’t have a gig because Rebecca is all dressed up with no place to go.

And that’s what this blog is about.

It’s easy to feel a little schadenfreude about a show like this.  A lot of folks I know were placing bets on it “not” coming in a year ago – and sure, even I was tempted to throw some money into that pool.  In fact, someone in my office suggested we start an @IAmPaulAbrams twitter account last week so we could hear from the mysterious man from beyond the grave.

Funny.  But wrong.

Why?

Shows not happening hurt a lot of people where it counts – in their wallets, yes, but also in their dreams (I’d bet the money in that pool that a lot of tears were shed yesterday).  And sure, other folks with musicals on the boards this year will have one less show to worry about competing with for audiences and awards.  So I can understand why some may be pleased with this outcome from a business perspective.

Still . . . today, as the Rebecca jokes start shooting around Shubert Alley, let’s try to remember that a lot of folks, including the Producers, are heartbroken today.  And I bet you ten times the money in that pool that every single one of us will be in their heartbroken shoes at one point in our career or another, if not many times.  Maybe not for the same reasons, but we’ll have our share of disappointments, and we won’t want people whispering about us either.

And hey. You never know.   Whitney Kropp had the last laugh . . . maybe Rebecca will too.  Remember, there’s always another dance next year.

For the sake of everyone involved, I hope to see her there.

(Got a comment? I love ‘em, so comment below!  Email subscribers, click here then scroll down, to say what’s on your mind!)

——

– Broadway Investing 101 seminar coming up on 10/13!  Register here.

– Win tickets to Seminar starring Jeff Goldblum!  Click here to enter.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

14 Responses to Poor Rebecca. What happened to that girl?

1. Colin law says:

What a kind and gentle article. You are just one Decent producer, ken. A role model. Feel for the Rebecca team and the producers. Hard knock life for them….

2. Cat says:

A thoughtful and compassionate post. Thanks for being real.
    Peace
    Cat

3. Very well said, Ken. I’m on my 2nd refunded ticket for this show, and if I’m disappointed, I can’t imagine how those involved must feel. I met a few of the actors at the Broadway Flea Market,
    and they were almost heartbreakingly optimistic…wishing them all some great new adventures to tide them over…

4. Margaret Rojahn says:

I was so excited for this show, and it’s heartbreaking as a young person to see this kind of public struggle. As a young actor, you know this happens. You get warned about it and all. But you don’t get to watch it unfold, as we have with Rebecca. I’m with you, fingers crossed for next season. (Who knows? Maybe by the time the show opens, I’ll have an equity card, and can be in it!)

5. Kristen Coury says:

You’re a great man, Ken Davenport. Thank you for quelling the backstage whispers and reminding us all that dreams are important. Where would we be without our dreams? And yes, sometimes dreams are dashed and hearts are broken. Inevitable in a field about which we’re all so passionate. Thanks for the reminder that there are actual human beings behind these multi-million dollar plans. May they all find an even better gig!

6. Susan Huizinga says:

I’m heartbroken for this cast. Have no idea what is going on with the producers of Rebecca, but feel for all involved. Plus, I WANT TO SEE THIS SHOW!

7. Rose Caiola says:

I think Godspell rubbed off on you in a good way! To sum it up, don’t talk trash about your Broadway brother when your trash might be next to hit the fan. After all, we are all in this crap shoot together and deals fall apart even in the most honorable of circumstances. Let’s all be good samaritans and wish dear Rebecca and Co. all the best!

8. janiska says:

Great show of character by a great man. Just watched my DVD of Gypsy for the umteenth time. Not the same, but there should be a show about Ken.

9. Michael L. says:

Based on The New York Times write-up, the show sounded great — I’m disappointed!

I don’t yet understand the behind-the-scenes strife that would cause other producers to root against this producer. Seems like more than just wanting one less competitor — as if they held a personal grudge against him. Why? The new kid on the block? Unorthodox techniques?

10. Keith M says:

This was maybe the shows I was most looking forward to seeing this fall on Broadway. Each time I saw another post about Rebecca my stomach knotted up because I, like many others, also didn’t see this coming to fruition as much as I wanted it to. I agree I really hope to see it work next year. Until then I guess I’ll be stuck watching clips I don’t understand in German…

11. Ginny says:

That was classy. Thank you for reminding us that we’re in this community together.

12. Frayne says:

Thanks for reminding us to be compassionate.
    It takes courage to chase after a dream in the first place.

13. Cheryl Palmour says:

I had really been looking forward to seeing the musical. Rebecca is one of my favorite books and movies. The trailer looked beautiful. I had read that one of the investors had died unexpectedly and that the show was postponed. My daughter informed yesterday that it was now cancelled. I truly feel for all those who were expecting to work on the show. I hope that Rebecca does get her chance to dance and sing on Broadway at some time in the future. When she does, I want to be there to see it.

14. John says:

Ken,
    Another beautiful blog. Thank you. It makes me wonder why Broadway sticks with traditional funding methods instead of using updated financial tools that could provide a reliable stream of investment?