Broadway BooksI’ve been blogging for five years, and every year since I started I’ve been publishing actual hard copies of each yearly collection.

And I’m proud to say that Year #5 entitled, “Broadway Isn’t Just On Broadway Anymore” is now available for your purchasing pleasure.

You can grab it here.

This will actually be the last year we will publish a hard copy version of the blog, so pick it up and its counterparts (available here) before they (and all books in general) vanish.

If you’re looking for an alternative way to read the blog, don’t forget our newly released iPhone app!  Click here to download it.

This blog made me sad.  Because I feel like (ready for it?), books have a shelf life.  And we’re getting to the end of it, don’t you think?   I’ll miss ‘em.  Won’t you?

Quick poll question:  How many more years do you give books?  Or will they always be somewhat in style?  Like the pencil?  Comment below!

(Got a comment? I love ‘em, so comment below!  Click here then scroll down to say what’s on your mind!)

_ _

-See the Broadway books I recommend by clicking here the graphic to the right of this entry.

-Take the Producer’s Perspective Survey.  Click here.

- TEDx Broadway is almost sold out!  Get your tickets for this awesome event here!  See you on Jan.28th!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

10 Responses to The PP Year 5 Book has hit the Shelves.

1. I’m not entirely convinced books have a true “dead”line. Nicholas Carr had a great essay in the Wall Street Journal this month about the slowing rate of ebook-related sales. I know for myself, no matter how much I love the ease of paperless everything, when it comes to a book, nothing beats having it in my hands.

In fact, I was bemoaning the massive temptation the Drama Bookshop has for me to my husband the other night, and when he suggested I could find most of the titles electronically for a much cheaper price, I was astonished at how repugnant the idea of not owning the hard copy of a play was! There’s something about the paper, the ink, and the weight of it in your hands that makes it and the ideas in it more real than pixels ever could be.

Then again, I spent so many hours growing up with pages in my ink-stained fingers that I doubt books will ever lose their appeal to me. The real test for traditional printing’s longevity will be what kids grow up reading. If it’s paper, the market will never truly die. But if they grow up holding a screen, books might become a tiny niche market, like records are today.

(Here’s a link to the WSJ article: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323874204578219563353697002.html)

2. I was going to cite that same article. Books aren’t done. Kids will always grow up with them. Story time with a picture book just isn’t the same on an iPad as it is with a real physical book you can hold with Mom or Dad, and pretend to read it–let alone pop up books and textured books.

There will always be room for both. When I want something fast, like this little e-book short about one actresses experience in Merrily We Roll Along, which I loved:

And I’ve read a lot of Jonathan Tropper novels on Kindle while I was riding BART to see shows.

But you wouldn’t want Stephen Sondheim’s “Look I Made a Hat” in an e-book.

I think most people want a break from looking at backlit screens for a while.

On the other hand, a book made of blog posts is ideal as an ebook as it started off in an electronic form. Also, they’re short entries and more comfortable in an ebook format.

My two cents.

3. Lynn says:

I think books will always be around for schools but the novel hard copy and bookstores I feel will go away in the next ten years. Perhaps I’m wrong, and hope so – but the ‘e-reader’ like his ‘e-book’, just look around.

I think we are too far down the rabbit hole.

4. Carey says:

I’m a student who works part-time in the largest, busiest library in my part of the state. And out of the thousands I help per week, I see many people– even young people– who prefer hard copy, flippable, stackable books! We buy multiple copies per title year round. And at the end of the year, we sell some of them at reduced prices, and make some $7000 in two weeks. Sure, they might be made in less of a quantity in the future than they used to be, but they certainly do still sell.

5. Paul Argentini says:

Books won’t have pages like Lope de Vega’s theatre won’t have two boards and a passion.

6. Debbie Saville says:

I will always say record albumns and books bring the creative arts to life in a way “electronics” will not be able to replace.

And I still believe the best in theater is a black box stage with a single spotlight shining down on an actor/actress, who in that moment captures the heart and imagination of an entire audience.

Sometimes simplicity such as just picking up a book and starting to read without having to enable the apparatus, connect to wireless, then the app, then find the book you want to read etc…. keeps you closer to the moment of appreciating the creative arts.

7. Solange De Santis says:

Paper books and paper programs aren’t going anywhere anytime soon. Try to get a star to autograph your e-program. Print is a different experience from a screen. They both have their place.

8. Robert HP says:

My 9-year-old son is doing a report on the Great Wall of China. One of the elements of his report is to cite his references. I mention going to the library and getting some books. He says, “yeah…most people don’t do research from books anymore.” I note that his last report, on Big Cats, we used books that had *far* more information, better focused and better organized, than anything we were able to find online (NatGeo posts one fact about big cats, then leads you to “Ice Truckers”). He concedes.

I think until online references and resources get their sh** together and takes their responsibility seriously as information providers (it’s going to happen, the same way newspapers got “spanked” after Hearst started the Spanish-American War), books have a significant place in fact building, entertainment and research. Romance novels online are not the same.