A Few of my Favorite Things from NBC’s Live Sound of Music.

I was walking down Broadway yesterday, amidst the throngs of tourists, and I overhead one 40-something year old dude from somewhere south of the Mason-Dixon line ask his buddy, “Hey, did you see that Sound of Music thing on TV the other night?”

NBC’s Live Sound of Music is what everyone, everywhere seems to be talkin’ (and tweetin’) about lately, so I thought it was only time I dove into the conversation.  I saw it on Friday night, actually, thanks to NBC’s free stream on their website.

So what did I think?  Well, look, I’m a perfectionist producer, so I’ve always got something to nit pick about, but as I watched, I had to pinch punch myself several times.  Was I actually seeing a live Broadway show performed on a major network in prime time?  Or did I somehow travel back in time like Richard Collier to the days of old, when people actually gave musicals the major media attention that the American art form deserves.

It was real, alright.  It was real.  And here are just a few of my favorite things from the show:

1.  I know that person, and that person, and that person.

Working on Broadway and watching the show was like playing “Where’s Waldo” but the Waldo was all those hard working Broadway folks that we all know and love.  How awesome to see Audra and Christian and Laura Benanti doing what they do best but on the small screen . . . but how about Jessica Molaskey and Christiane Noll and Bridges of Madison Countys Elena Shaddow?

Broadway has the hardest working actors in the entertainment industry, and I’m glad we had so many of them get the attention that they deserve.  Millions should see them much more often.

2.  If Carrie can do it, I can too!

Carrie Underwood is one of the biggest living country stars in the . . . yep . . . world.  She would never have done a show on Broadway.  Her “people” (e.g. agents, managers, lawyers, and so on) wouldn’t let her spend the six months or more that a producer like me would need  in order to make a major musical work.  But she could do this.  And, let’s face it, she didn’t have to.  It was a monster risk, yet she did it anyway.  And, ok, so she isn’t Stanislavski or Julie Andrews or even that Julie girl I went to Tisch with who I always thought would break through, but we still owe Ms. Underwood a huge debt of gratitude.  She helped introduce a whole new (and huge – see below) audience to the world of musicals.  And now other big, mammoth stars (and their “people” will want to do the same . . . and that’s good for all of us.  (And if we’re really lucky, Carrie will appear on the Tonys this year.)

3.  It’s the show, stupid.

Here’s something I was reminded of pretty early into the telecast . . . The Sound of Music is a fantastic musical.  Great characters, great story and great freakin’ songs . . . with beautifully simple melodies and lyrics.  For those of you out there writing musicals (including the guy writing this blog), it was a great reminder of how to do it.  Those Rodgers and Hammerstein guys . . . they are going places.

4.  Did I mention it was live?

Was it just me or were you a little more nervous for everyone because it was live?  Did it have an American Idol feel?  Or a football game feel?  Maybe even Nascar?  That’s the magic of “live” and the producers, Craig Zadan and Neil Meron, as well as this courageous guy, knew that and took a huge gamble in airing it in real time.  Live is what makes Broadway Broadway.  And it’s what made the telecast even better.

5.  Um, how many millions watched it?  Are you sure?

Yeah, so . . . 18.5 million people watched it.  18.5 million!!!  It would take 1,285 weeks in an 1800 seat theater for that many people to see it on Broadway!  Here are some adjectives that have been used to describe the ratings in other articles online:  “Massive,” “Monster,” “Exceeded expectations!” (My favorite).  These are the kind of quotes that matter, not review quotes (this goes for Broadway shows too, by the way).  So what does this mean?  It means that I’d bet you 18.5 million dollars that NBC will do another one of these.  And soon. And more and more 40-something dudes from north and south of the Mason Dixon line will be talking about Broadway in the future.  These telecasts could be one of the biggest weapons we have to solve our attendance problem . . . and we don’t even have to pay to fire it!

If you haven’t seen the telecast, click here.

And then make sure you get the recording, because Carrie sings like a dream and Audra’s “Climb Ev’ry Mountain” is a new classic.

And then tell me what you think in the comments below!

_ _

– Win tickets to see Cuff Me!  The Unauthorized 50 Shades of Grey Musical.  Click here.

– Win $500 in our Songwriting Contest!  Click here to enter.

– The 6th Annual Producer’s Perspective Social on Thursday 12/12 is SOLD OUT!  Click here to sign up for the waiting list.

– The next Broadway Investing seminar is coming up on January 18th.  Sign up today.

• Be careful what you wish for.

With “live theater” available on the tube(for free), how much harder will it be to charge premium prices for eight shows a week (not to mention dinner and parking)?

• Jim Lawson says:

AMEN Brother! I have feel I have been defending this production all week. As an actor, why wouldn’t we want to see this on television???

• Jurgen Schmelzer says:

I enjoyed the show tremendously! Great performance by Carrie Underwood. She sure took a gamble since she usualLy sings before live audiences but guess what, she is also on her way to becoming a good actress.

Kudos all arrond.

• Chris says:

I’m thrilled for the success of the production. And I don’t think airing live musicals on TV will hurt theatre attendance any more than airing live sporting events hurts their attendance – it just creates a bigger pool of potential audience who want to be in the same room when it’s happening.

• Randi says:

I think everyone knew Carrie was miscast, but who cares? She did an okay job. More importantly, the show as a whole was entertaining and it gave us insanely amazing moments from Laura, Christian, and mostly Audra. I know I smiled the whole time. Especially at Rolf’s shorts.

• Erin says:

So happy they will be doing another live musical on NBC in 2014! I was on the edge of my seat when the show started. The live aspect made it very exciting! I don’t think live TV can replace the feeling of seeing a live show in person. I think these performances will only make Broadway musicals more popular with the general public, and that’s a good thing for ticket sales.

• Lois Jacobs says:

I am with you 100%. Ms Underwood put herself out there. I have watched the performance twice and when she sang she was at ease.
    The surrounding cast were Broadway pros. When I read the lineup past Ms Benanti, Mr. Borle and Ms McDonald, on the rewind, I was looking for the other Broadway vets like Linda Muggleston, Ashley Brown, etc.
    Kudo’s NBC’s for mounting a new production of one of the best American Musicals.

• Michael L. says:

I’m sorry to rain on your parade, Ken, but Audra excepted (and my opinion is only based on the few minutes of this production I could tolerate), the dreadful acting and unimaginative staging probably turned off many more millions to live theatre than it attracted. What a disservice was done to this incredible musical. If we’re going to have opportunities to reach audiences this large, we better have top-notch products.

• Pamela Harris says:

Michael, I hear your opinion. You are entitled to it . However I disagree with it. I grew up in NYC where my english teachers took us to Broadway shows. I fly back to NYC every year to take in a musical or two. So I may not have your sophisticated views on things but I do know shows and it’s ok that you didn’t like it. But on various websites the majority of the comments were positive. As one feedbacker retorted to one of the people who liked it, well you obviously lack class and sophistication. Wow…maybe they did but far more people than you might think enjoyed it, They also didn’t have to pay 300 per person to see a broadway show. Its the SOM not Shakespeare. It’s also not sports where there has to be a declared winner. It’s ok not to like it, never watch it again. I do hope you understand though yours is just one opinion

• Wayne Paul says:

Despite the fact that I also thought the staging was dreadful, I thought Carrie & Company…carried the evening with wonderful singing. This…story has always bored me, and despite the iconic treatment of Julie Andrews in the role, I like Carrie Underwood as Maria.
    And as for the Von Trapp family’s remark’s about casting: Really, when did they become Casting Directors? Voicing that opinion after the fact was, & is, classless.

• George says:

Aah! I was waiting for this one… as it really could be as big of a “game changer” as the Met’s HD Broadcasts have been for the “theatre” up the street… with all the Bel Canto….

Many – within – the Met org worried that broadcasting their works – LIVE – would cut into their attendence… but – extensive – studies have shown that they have INCREASED their attendence from areas of the country where they hadn’t usually been an NYC draw…

Why? Because Opera Lovers (and, yes, I admit that is any even more select (smaller) group than people who like musicals) see one Opera HD and – when they get to NYC – they wanna see one… LIVE and in person… even if it’s the only one they ever will see…

Now I have to see this (as I was out that evening) but I’ll bet they used a LOT of techniques that the Met HDs use… from the description, this was very different from the last Live Broadcast of a Musical on Network TV (“Cinderella” in the 1950s!!!!!!!) with backstage glimpses and rolling camera angles and cuts that would have be left on the cutting room floor (had it not been Live!) but the very fact that it IS Live is what makes all the difference (and one of the failings of the “Les Miserables” movie…)

Live is what we go to the Theatre for and – just knowing that IF a singer flubs a note and trips over the scenery – it’s out there – gives the audience a vested interest in pulling for the performer… they want that performer to succeed as must as they want to be entertained (maybe more so???) And that is why the emotional pay-off is so much more immediate and real…

Finally, I can’t wait to see Carrie singing this role… this musical/story will always be nearer and dearer to me because a decade later, my own mother went thru a similar escape – not from Nazis but from Soviets – fleeing Hungary in ’56 and she could never watch this and not break down in tears…

But they were tears of joy as this story and the music spoke of goodness and kindness and courage against a backdrop of the blackest tyranny the world has known…but German and Russian….

So I bring a lot of baggage to this work…

But I am always open to interpretation by those who couldn’t possibly imagine what this story means to those who lived thru that period of History… I understand.

Let’s rev’ up the ol’ digital player and see what we’ve got!?!

• Cash says:

I think Miss Underwood’s acting would have flowered with the warmth and attention of a live audience. I hope the format for future live TV musicals incorporates that essential partner in the performance.

• kathleen says:

I couldnt enjoy it with my daughter because it was on a school night here in Seattle. A 3 hour show should have been aired on a Sunday early. Yes competition with football but most young impressionable children could careless for football and watch Carrie sing. Yes, she is not a true Julie Andrews no one is. I am professional actress in Seattle. My sister is a professional actress too and we want to have our kids be able to watch TV shows like this like when we were kids watching Julie or Carol Burnett do “Once Upon a Mattress”. WATCHING Carol live or Julie on a live network I caught the bug and never stop loving musicals. If you were to take on another live musical again please consider a better night to watch especially us West Coast customers. (Its not the same taping it). I basically liked watching it because most TV shows are horrible, shooting or murderous shows,and no real Sunday night Disney or Hallmark or Carol B. Or Johnny Carson Shows alive anymore. Please produce more audiences are waiting. Thanks

• George Rady says:

Reading the blogs, I thoughht this was coming from some Broadway bias toward “Country” singers… but it sounded to me like Caarrie tried to sing like a “Broadway” singer… and that is NOT a positive in my book… as most Broadway singers affect a styling that sounds like they are trying to do it like Ethel Merman… and it is annoying… “nasal” and “forced” – and a lot of attempts to sing thru constants like “f” and “st” and sliding up to a note rather than taking a breath and hitting it clean…

Yeah, I come from an Operatic background, so my aesthetic is based on that (and it is usually mocked.. as in “Perfect Pitch”) but a well trained singer can let their voice out – and, for better or worse, you hear what they sound like… how much they have trained (or not) and it is a pure, crisp, clean sound with overtones depending on the singer’s ability to relax while every muscle and nerve invites them to stress it… effortless should be the result.

And Carrie has a great voice – best assessed when she was yodelling (better than Julie Andrews) but everytime she tried to go high… ugh! Works in Country, Rock and Broadway that sougs that are written to sound affected…. but this musical contains some of the BEST O&H there is… and they did not write songs that depend in microphones, editing, colouring… to be digitally downloaded to iphones….

Even the Mother Abyss – one of the best voices in the cast – sound like she was told to go “nasal” to sound more like Carrie in their duet… so it would not point out the difference in styling.

Aside from all that – did we need the extra dialogue? The fellow who played the Capt seemed to be in a differnt work… more like a CSI episode?

As special bow to Eleanor Parker – whi just passed away – not a singer (and hence they cut the songs from the movie) but She was an Aristocrat! It sets up the contrast between Maria and the Baroness… and makes the Capt all that more endearing that he falls in love with a (simple) girl… that was completely missing… as far as I could watch it.

And – as for acting – I just wasn’t buying into Carrie as a naive young girl raised to want to become a nun… she looked (and sounded) like a typical American girl who trying to sound naive and young and unsophiscated… but then Julie Andrews sets a very High Watermark!

Unpon reflection – I don’t think this will encourage 18 million TV viewers to check out Boradway… unless Carrie Underwood is in the production… much like Latinos went to see Ricky Martin as “Che” and probably will never go to see anything else….

Don’t think this moves the ball forward…

but I HOPE I am wrong!

• Bobby says:

George to answer your question: Nope – couldn’t make it thru “Lonely Goatherd” with the kids… which substituted for “My Favorite Things” (Why?)

The original Broadway production, starring Mary Martin and Theodore Bikel, opened on Broadway November 16, 1959. It was adapted as a 1965 film musical starring Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer.

The order of the songs with “The Lonely Goatherd” with the kids during the thunderstorm is the correct order of the original Broadway Musical. “The Lonely Goatherd” was replaced by “My Favorite Things” in the movie. So you saw the original version of the Broadway Production and not the film version.

• George Rady says:

(Hey – at least it wasn’t as horrible as the HD broadcast of “Merrily We Roll Along” in which there was a mass exodus at Intermission… that was a long time in coming as the audience had to sit thru half an hour of audience “interviews” about how great this was… ugh!)

One does wonder what the tune OUT rate might have been??? As I only tuned in because I was curious…

• Sam says:

At the end– it doesn’t matter what any of you haters think. I for one thought Carrie did a wonderful job. In fact–I’ve watched the movie once and found it incredibly boring. This production brought the Sound Of Music back to life! Instead of thanking Ms. Underwood & the cast you guys continue to compare her to Ms. Andrews. She never said she was Ms. Andrews and Ms. Andrews is no Carrie Underwood. They’re both different. And Besides– The show was based on the Broadway show not the movie. Maybe some of you should search up on stuff before you judge.

• Kathy says:

My family and I only watched because we are huge Carrie Underwood fans. For me it was a GREAT casting decision!! Now we are fans of a lot of other actors/singers that we’d never heard of before. We loved the whole thing. Those kids were adorable!

• janis says:

Carrie’s singing was, as always, impeccable and she imitated no one. Instead, she took the role of Maria and made it her own.
    Even on the small screen, we saw Carrie open her heart to the wonder, and fear that makes opening night on Broadway special.
    If we can see more of that on the small screen, I may start watching TV again and like televised sports it will only whet my appetite for the real thing.

(Btw, Carrie grew up just a few miles from where I and Kristin Chenoweth spent our childhood and Carrie has a degree in Mass Communication from Northeastern Oklahoma State University in Tahlequah, OK where I also attended. During college, she performed on screen and in musicals while also working part time at Sam and Ella’s Pizza – still the best pizza place in town)

• Cheryl Palmour says:

Didn’t get to see the live broadcast because I was in rehearsals for “Little Women”. I saw some of the comments. Someone said to me that they didn’t sing “My Favorite Things” in the right place. I had to correct them and say that the movie version was different. I applaud Carrie Underwood for taking on the role since she is not an actress. I have seen just the first part and thought she did a good job. I have played both Maria and The Mother Abbess as well as directed a production of the show. It is one of my favorites. You are correct, Ken, we should be grateful that a major network actually present a classic musical live as it might have been done in a live theatre. How many people watched the show and loved it, we’ll never know, but I bet there are people out there who are humming some of the songs and maybe the next time a musical comes to their town, they might actually go out and see it.

• Jean H says:

I loved it. Didn’t expect to love it but I did. I had seen the Broadway version with Rebecca Luker and I loved that one, too. It’s just a magnificent musical. The voices in this one were beautiful and I was moved to tears a few times.

• Lynne says:

So glad that the producers and Ms. Underwood stepped out of her comfort zone to make musicals a refreshing form of entertainment. So tired of the garbage on TV. And as far the critics, who give a rip? I hope Ms. Underood tries acting again and doesn’t let a bunch of nobody’s steal her thunder.

• Michelle says:

I LOVED it! Sound Of Music is my favorite movie EVER! I first saw it when I was about 5 or 6, and I fell in love with it, and nothing has ever taken it’s place. And nothing ever will. So needless to say I was REALLY looking forward to the live broadcast, even though I knew it would be different from the movie. And it was. And the movie will always be my favorite. That being said, the live broadcast was AMAZING. I thought the casting was brilliant! When I first heard that Stephen Moyer was playing the Capt I admit I was like, “Huh?” But OMG! SO glad I didn’t get to make those decisions! He was WONDERFUL. And the kids were awesome. I’ve already re-watched it about 5 times! 🙂

• RobertHP says:

Very well said, Ken. I can’t believe the amount of negativity around this production, which mostly hinged on, “Carrie Underwood isn’t as good as Julie Andrews!” She’s not, but this production wasn’t aiming to compete with the movie, it was launching a new appreciation for live television, celebrating a long-time seasonal tradition, and exposing entire generations of people (including my 10 year old son) to a musical they might never watch in its 1960s film incarnation.

More live musical theater on TV will draw people into real live musical theater! The same way the live telecasts in movie theaters of Metropolitan Opera productions have drawn new crowds back to opera.

I could even see a situation where a classic musical (West Side Story or Oklahoma or whatever) is paired with teaser scenes/performances (also live) by current productions.

• Fran says:

Ok. A character’s opening number sets the expectation for the show. Carrie’s opening number, the title song, The Hills are Alive … is a happy, uptempo number. Carrie just looked worried. Where’s the joy of having a day to play in her favorite woods?!! And her stroll through the woods looked like she was afraid someone was following her.

Favorite staging: Lisel and Ralph’s kiss that led to a tumble down the hill. Really set their relationship.

I thought the Captain looked too young; didn’t buy him as the father of 7 children.

Audra and Laura were amazing.

• Sam says:

I was not particularly thrilled with the production, however I watched it through. And it has been a long time since I found myself singing Sound Of Music songs in my head all week long. The hills are alive…with the sound of music. I am also confused by some of the comments….Lonely Goatherd was in the movie too.

• George says:

Yeah, not a comment about the placement of cutting of songs… just that I checked out at the “Lonely Goatherd” song…

Not a “hater” (that’s a pretty strong work in my vocabulary) just that I don’t like the singing style that ends up sounding… nasal.

Hey, for some people that IS singing.

It’s just for me – I like a pure, clear, unaffected note… that’s the way Julie sang it and it’s not the way that Carrie (chose) to sing it… but she knows her fans. No problem. I am the first person to admit I would always play to my base audience.

• George says:

Now the question – what’s next???

Here’s my take:

Like Reidel said – been done – failed.

Hate to say it – for Middle America – too Jewish. I’ll bet that IF one tallied up the musicals performed by regional theatre companies, “Fiddler” would be near the bottom (and “The Rotheschilds” is in my personal Top Five)

As this is the show I am pitching now… I would say this is the one (out of those three) but there is one problem here “Ron Moody” set the highwater mark for “Fagin” and anyone who would try to do that role would be compared to Ron’s “Fagin” – even more than Carrie was being compared to Julie Andrews – if only because the charactization is SO STRONG SO DEFINITIVE SO LOCKED INTO PEOPLE’s cinematic memories…

Hey it’s quite possible that Carrie Underwood brought in a whole NEW fan base that has never seen Julia Andrews – so they had no preconceive notions of what the role could be played like… and some, as above, may prefer it… Hey it’s THEATRE! Not Baseball/Football or Basketball.

I am just saying that had better be prepared for criticism when they take on a role that another actor has stamped is a very significant way.

Of course, the other problem with “Fagin” is that Ron Moody’s work has also been described as “anti-semetic” (though no where near Dicken’s portrayal in the novel.)

There has gotta be a better musical for National Broadcast!

• Michael E. says:

Interesting reading the comments, and of course the initial blog. I’m going to ping pong with comments that could be labeled as positive and negative.

For us theatre lovers it was wonderful to have a live broadcast of a musical on national television. An unusual occurrence, and the fact that it was so well attended means that there may well be more in the future. Another possibility to introduce folks who have not been to the theatre to appreciate what it has to offer. And such events can inspire people to seek out live theatre in their surrounding communities as well as hopefully Broadway and Off Broadway. This is all good news.

Our thrill over this happening and the success of it should not deter the producers from considering various factors [besides numbers and money] for future endeavors.

The actual production did not wow me. I actually watched the special of the casting and rehearsal process which I found quite interesting and was looking forward to seeing the live broadcast. It was a smart move to have Ms. Underwood cast in the role of Maria, in the sense of her iconic stature and popularity, and in terms of ‘type’ she’s an appropriate fit for the role. There is something about her presence which is definitely sweet and endearing, and while her voice may be different in style from Julie Andrews, the young lady can certainly sing. That’s when her talent and charm really came thru for me. Someone on the comments section said ” What some interpreted as amateurish acting, I saw as Carrie intentionally using the fear and wonder of live performance to return to the innocence and faith that must surely have been intended for the role of Maria.” Who knows this may or may not have been part of Ms. Underwood’s intention, it certainly is a nice thought and a provocative interpretation of her performance. But I think it’s safe to say based on comments from most ‘theatre’ people I know, that the acting portion of her contribution was, while often sincere and charming, lacked the impact that a seasoned actress could have brought to the role. But I do applaud her in taking on the challenge. She not only went out of her comfort zone, she had the courage to take on a role that is associated with a major iconic star. No way she is NOT going to be compared to Julie Andrews. And of course she knew that when going into the project. So I think she does deserve recognition for that as part of the package. We performers know what a challenge it can be to step on a stage and perform live, and the fact that it was being televised live to millions of people only added to the heat of the pot so to speak. You will notice [as far as I could tell] she did not seem to falter once with her lines or the staging. That’s not an easy task for someone new to the medium.

Without going into much detail I thought the rest of the casting sometimes worked and sometimes didn’t. I did like the ‘Sixteen going on seventeen’ number [finding both performers delightful] and found the staging worthy of a television broadcast. Much of the staging was however less than inspired. And of course Ms. McDonald was a glorious light in the production. I initially thought Mr. Moyer was an interesting choice for the Capt. but was disappointed in what he brought to the role. Others undoubtedly loved him. Everyone’s got an opinion of course.

I do hope however that more care is taken with future endeavors to have both worlds served [marketing, numbers, ratings, and top shelf performers that are musical and stage savvy. The numbers and ratings are the quantity aspect, the being so overwhelmed with the breathtaking brileance of the production that you can hardly breathe is the quality aspect. Let’s not sacrifice quality for a primary focus on quantity and think that is sufficient – even if it does mean down the road more ticket sales at the box office.

• Kevin Davis says:

Sorry Ken. I cannot agree with you this time. Yes,it was wonderful to have live theatre back and so many view it. However, artistically speaking, it was BAD theatre. Casting is 80% of a production and this cast was, for the most part, awful. There was no chemistry between the two leads and every thing else depends on that. Audra was great,as well as, the actor who played the Baroness but that only served to highlight how flat most of the other actors were. I do hope this opens the door to more productions of this type but next time cast it properly!

• Patty Lettieri says:

The SOM has always been my favorite musical and I have seen quite a few both on Broadway and movies. I am so happy to see that some of you other folks finally got it that this production was based on the original production and not the movie. As stated above their is no other Julie Andrews and there will never be another Carrie Underwood. Maybe if some of these critics would have taken the time to watch the making of the SOM before actually seeing the airing of the live performance then they would have been able to appreciate the live production more. I for one feel that Carrie Underwood and the entire cast gave a fantastic performance.

• Heather A. says:

First off, I don’t agree about Carrie never being on Broadway. Earlier this year, Ricky Martin ended over a 1 year run as Che in Evita. And if you listen to that soundtrack, you’ll see that he was specially trained for Broadway just like I’m sure Carrie was.

I too thought this production was amazing and have watched it several times on demand. Was Carrie a great actress? No. Was she a good actress? For someone who has never done this before, absolutely yes. For those of you saying there was no chemistry between her and Stephen Moyer, I attribute that to her nerves more than anything. It could not have been easy for her to do a 3 hour live show let alone kiss and pretend to be in love with a man who is not her husband. I thought Stephen Moyer was fantastic and I was pleasantly surprised by how well he was able to carry some of the songs with Carrie. I don’t watch vampire shows so this was really my first experience with Moyer’s work but it was enough to make me download The Starter Wife off Netflix.

I live in NY and have seen many Broadway shows. I thought this was very well done. And I give credit to all involved. Aside from Carrie Underwood, the only other person I could picture in the role of Maria might be Amy Adams because she has the pipes and the acting skill. But then I can’t picture her next to Moyer.

• Everyone loves what you guys are usually up too.
    This sort of clever work and coverage! Keep up the amazing works guys I’ve incorporated you guys to my own blogroll.

michael kors outlet online