Why the theater is like Christmas all year round.

It doesn’t matter which holiday you celebrate . . . Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa or even Festivus . . . they all have one thing in common.

Family.

For me, family is what holidays are all about.  It’s a time to gather with the people you are closest to in this world (whether that means you’re related or not), slowing down, and celebrating something extraordinary.

And it’s one of the reasons I’m in the theater.

The theater, unlike any other industry out there, has this crazy way of creating an incredible family every time you do a show.  If you’ve ever been in a show, from a high school production of Anything Goes to a Broadway production of, oh, I don’t know, Spring Awakening, you know what I’m talking about.  If you’ve ever produced a show, designed a show, invested in a show, ushered a show . . . you know what I’m talking about too.

I’m not sure why this familial bond happens, but it does.

Maybe it’s because the theater requires people to tell emotional stories, and being that vulnerable brings everyone closer together.  Maybe it’s because putting on a show is super hard work in a short amount of time, so everyone bustin’ their butts is united through sweat and effort.

Maybe it’s because . . .

Ahh, who cares why it happens?  I don’t really care why doughnuts taste so good.  They just do.  And I’m really good with that.

I wish you and your family the happiest of holiday seasons.

And thank you, to every single one of you reading these words, for being part of my family.

– Who will be the Broadway Producer of the Year 2015?  Click here to vote!

– Win a $100 Goldstar Gift Certificate!  Click here.

– Only 38 performances left of Spring Awakening.  Get your tickets today!  Click here.

Comments
  • Barbara Smith says:

Thanks for a wonderful blog and for all you do for on and off Broadway. (Seeing Daddy soon. Loved the streaming!)
    Happy Holidays to you and yours!

• John Linscott says:

If you love football you might well love theater. Both require complete cooperation by each person who is part of the production–that includes lights-sound-props along with actors, musicians and ushers..-guards-quarterback-placekickers.
    If one person drops the ball, misses a line,fails to have a prop on the right desk at the right moment the whole play (both on the stage or on the field) may not be a winner.

• I think sometimes we are clinging on to each other for dear life! More of ‘Safety in numbers’ than anything else.
    What is strange is that at the end of a run it can be like losing a very close family, at the end of some runs it is like gaining your life back!

• Elise Gainer says:

Thank you, Ken for your wonderful contribution to the theater family! And I am grateful to be a part of this family!

• Drew Cohen says:

End of the year is a suitable time to thank you for offering your unique perspective on the theatre business all year ’round. I can only imagine the effort it requires and your insights are much appreciated. Happy holidays and best to you in 2016!

• Janis says:

And thank you for making it possible for us to be your extended theatre family at Christmas and all year.
    Thank you for all you do.

• Christine Garfinkel says:

I agree wholeheartedly! Thank you again for the spectacular early Christmas gift that was the livestream of Daddy Long Legs! Wishing you and yours and our entire “theatre family” a very Merry Christmas and a healthy, happy and peaceful New Year 2016.

• Martha says:

Thank you for your open Heart and may you be blessed in 2016.

• Dennis Kulchinsky says:

I couldn’t agree with you more Ken.I come to the same conclusion from a different angle.I’ve never been on stage,or produced a show,but I have been in the audience for more than 40 years.My daughter was the performer in the family so I was there for her and her friends at every performance she appeared in for years.I’ve always felt live theater was a shared experience and the Broadway performers were the most talented and giving of any of the artists in the entertainment industry.Over the years we have followed several actresses and have grown quite fond of them and feel they are part of our lives.I feel the performance isn’t complete until I get to thank them after the show at the stage door.I will get to and to my theater memories tomorrow at Daddy Long Legs,can’t wait.

• Kevin Davis says:

Amen!

• Kiri-Lyn Muir says:

Agreed. It is most surely a strong bond that is formed between people participating in a theater endeavor . It is one of my favorite parts of being in this industry.