WHO: Signature Theatre Company
POSITION: Director of Finance
DESCRIPTION: Signature Theatre, one of New York’s leading off-Broadway theatres, is seeking a Director of Finance to oversee Signature’s financial management and human resources. Founded in 1991, the Company exists to honor and celebrate the playwright, producing seven to nine productions annually. In 2005 Signature began its groundbreaking Signature Ticket Initiative, providing subsidized, affordable tickets to all of its productions. Signature is a $12M+ institution and operates in the recently opened the Pershing Square Signature Center, the Frank Gehry-designed 75,000 square foot Center featuring three theatres, two rehearsal studios, a central, public lobby with a café and bookstore, as well as administrative offices.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Finance guides Signature’s financial policy and direction while also being an active partner with the senior leadership team in planning the organization’s future strategy and implementing ongoing operations. She or he will lead all financial administration, business planning, budgeting, and human resource administration. The Director of Finance collaborates closely with peers on the senior leadership team, including the General Manager, Associate Artistic Director, and Directors of Development, Marketing, and Production, as well as the Board Treasurer, and Finance, Investment, and Audit Committees. The Director of Finance directly supervises the Business Manager, Business Associate, and Receptionist.
• Guide financial decisions by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing internal controls, and operational policies and procedures; make recommendations for increased efficiency and effectiveness
• Coordinate and direct daily and periodic accounting operations and processes, assuring that financial records and systems are maintained in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
• Participate in the strategic planning process as an integral member of the senior leadership team through development and use of predictive models and activity-based financial analyses
• Perform cash flow analysis and planning to ensure availability of funds as needed for the operating entity and special-purpose LLC
• Maximize return and limit risk on cash by managing bank balances, and overseeing investments managed by external investment manager, in conjunction with Board Investment Committee
• Monitor and confirm financial condition by conducting internal audits
• Lead communication with external auditors to prepare annual audited financial statements and 990 returns
• Prepare accurate interim financial statements and special reports for both internal and external use, through collection, analysis, and consolidation of financial data
• Prepare annual operating and capital budgets and periodic re-forecasts.
• Achieve budget objectives by scheduling expenditures, analyzing variances, and initiating corrective actions
• Liaise with the Finance Committee and participate in Committee and Board meetings
• Direct human resources functions, including recruitment, hiring, termination, and development and management of employment policies
• Work closely with hiring managers to ensure consistent application of human resource policies and best practices
• Ensure compliance with federal, state, and local requirements, through research and awareness of existing, new, or anticipated legislation, and liaise with legal counsel to advise management on needed actions or potential impacts
Candidates should hold a Bachelor’s degree or above in accounting and/or business administration, or possess equivalent business experience, and have five-plus (5+) years’ experience with a major non-profit, operating on an annual budget of at least eight million ($8M).
The ideal Director of Finance candidate will have skill in managing processes and analyzing information, developing standards and policies, non-profit accounting, and auditing experience. Preference will be given to candidates with a Certified Public Accountant designation and/or an MBA, and those with familiarity with LLC structures and transactions. Experience with QuickBooks, Financial Edge, or other financial software, is required. Familiarity with Tessitura is a plus.
To Apply: This is a full-time position starting immediately. Salary commensurate with experience. Benefits include Health, Dental, Vision, FSA and 401k plan. Email cover letter and resume with references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put ‘Director of Finance’ in the subject line. E.O.E. No phone calls please. For more information on Signature, please visit www.signaturetheatre.org.