The Tony Award®-winning director of Urinetown returns to Broadway with Gettin’ the Band Back Together, a hilarious new musical comedy that The New York Times calls, “A feel-good class act! A playful, irreverent, and genuinely funny musical.”
Mitch Papadopoulos always dreamed about being the next Bruce Springsteen, but he chose security over stardom and left those daydreams behind for a day job. For a while, he thought he had everything – the high paying job, the high-rise apartment – until his 40th birthday when he got handed a pink slip and had to move back in with his Mom in Sayreville, New Jersey.
And when his high school arch nemesis (with a 20-year-old grudge and a tangerine spray tan) threatens to foreclose on their house, this big-shot banker must save his small-town home the only way he can… by winning The Battle of the Bands.
So he dusts off his guitar, gathers his old gang (the math teacher who isn’t good at math, the Irish cop who dreams about being on Broadway, the dermatologist who can’t get a date, and a 16-year-old Jewish rapper who makes Vanilla Ice look cool), and sets out to win the battle… and maybe even win back the high school sweetheart he left behind… proving it’s never too late to give your dreams one last shot.
“Ravishing! What a delight it is to enter the world of Once On This Island.” (New York Times). This New York Times critic’s pick, tells the universal tale of Ti Moune, a fearless peasant girl in search of her place in the world, and ready to risk it all for love. Guided by the mighty island gods, Ti Moune sets out on a remarkable journey to reunite with the man who has captured her heart.
- 8:00 am: Leave Sturbridge, MA for NYC
- Approx. 11:00 am: Arrive in NYC – Free time to explore New York!
- 1:30 pm: Arrive at the Belasco Theatre for Gettin’ the Band Back Together
- 2pm: Matinee performance of Gettin’ the Band Back Together at the Belasco Theatre (run time, 2 hours and 10 minutes with an intermission).
- 4:10 pm: Free time for dinner and other activities.
- 7:30 pm: Arrive at Circle in the Square for Once On This Island*
- 8pm: Evening performance of Once On This Island at Circle in the Square (run time, 90 minutes no intermission).*
- 10:15 pm: Board bus at Circle in the Square – Leave NYC for Sturbridge, MA.
*If you purchased Option 2. (see below)
Option 1: Gettin’ the Band Back Together
*Included: Roundtrip bus from Sturbridge, MA to New York City and 1 ticket to the 2PM evening performance of Gettin’ the Band Back Together.
Click here to purchase your spot.
Option 2: Gettin’ the Band Back Together & Once On This Island
*Included: Roundtrip bus from Sturbridge, MA to New York City, 1 ticket to the 2PM matinee performance of Gettin’ the Band Back Together, and 1 ticket to the 8PM evening performance of Once On This Island.
Click here to purchase your spot.
*For any option you will not need to choose seat locations when purchasing. We will be purchasing the tickets and distributing.
You will have free time should you choose to attend both shows or not, and New York City will be your oyster! There are lots of things to do in the Midtown area should you not want to travel far, and options should you choose to venture downtown or uptown. Near the theatres there is:
- 5th Avenue or Herald Square Shopping
- Columbus Circle Shops (above and below ground)
- Central Park
- Rockefeller Center’s Top of the Rock or Tour of 30 Rock
- Radio City, and St. Patrick’s Cathedral
- Empire State Building
- Bryant Park
- Discovery Zone Times Square
- Spy Museum
- New York Public Library
- The Morgan Library and Museum
- Gulliver’s Miniature World
- The Intrepid Air & Space Museum
- The Museum of Modern Art
- Russian Vodka Room (has a live piano player or singer)
- Russian Tea Room
- Escape the Room
- The View (rotating restaurant)
- Tour Carnegie Hall or Madison Square Garden
- Bowlmor Bowling Alley
Questions? Feel free to contact Adam Dooley email@example.com. I’m also happy to help you find restaurants or things to do in the city that fit your passions during your free time.