Development Intern – TheatreworksUSA
WHO: TheatreworksUSA, the nation’s largest-serving non-profit theatre for young audiences. With over 48 years of experience and an annual audience of 3 million
kids, Theatreworks is a prolific producer of theatre that commissions
up to three productions per year and produces 27 tours annually that
travel to 46 states. For more information on TheatreworksUSA, visit our
website at www.twusa.org.
SEEKING: A dynamic Development Intern.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Theatreworks is supported by the work of the Development Department which is undertaking several exciting new initiatives. The Development Intern will be treated like a member of the Theatreworks staff. Duties include, but are not limited to:
– Assisting in the planning and execution of Free Summer Theatre Opening Night. Must be available the night of Thursday, July 15.
– Begin assisting with the development of our Annual Gala, Theatreworks’ largest fundraising event.
– Participating in Community Teamworks Day, TheatreworksUSA’s summer youth project in conjunction with Goldman Sachs and the Hudson Guild.
– Facilitating and compiling evaluation statistics of Newark’s Summer Learning Initiative, sponsored by Prudential.
– Monitoring evaluations submitted on Survey Monkey and sent in by mail and providing analysis.
– Overseeing TheatreworksUSA’s technology initiatives including our Facebook presence, blog presence, and Development components on the TWUSA website.
– Implementing TheatreworksUSA’s Annual Report.
– Providing basic assistance with proposals and grant research.
JOB INFORMATION: The Development Intern will work primarily with the Development department but will also interact with the Marketing and Education departments. This is an ideal position for Philanthropy or Arts Management students or for those interested in fundraising and the arts. The ideal candidate is extremely tech-savvy (web, blog, Facebook, social-networking applications), a solid editor and writer, trust-worthy, and someone that likes to think outside-the-box. Theatreworks is home to a warm and casual office environment with an opportunity to get hands-on experience in “real” work; you won’t be photocopying all the time. We are looking for candidates that can dedicate at least 10 hours per week to the Development Intern role. Full-time interns (over 20 hours per week) are eligible for a weekly stipend. In addition, this position provides a great mentorship opportunity for college students and we are happy to formulate a mutually-agreed-upon curriculum for college credit.
We are dedicated to providing a valuable and hands-on learning experience. Here’s what one of our interns had to say about their recent experience:
"The term “intern” is held very loosely at TheatreworksUSA. I was treated like an employee in every sense of the word, presented with challenging and dynamic projects that introduced me to areas of theatre I had not even considered exploring. I truly felt like part of the team. I am returning to school this fall with an entirely new viewpoint on how to collaborate with theatre professionals, and perhaps even a new career path I’d like to follow".
TO APPLY: Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to Liz Alsina, Director of Development, at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
TheatreworksUSA is an equal opportunity employer.