Comments
  • I do not think they nailed it. By far. The original is better. The new image is completely Las Vegas, not Broadway. And I still think this show is going to lose its shirt, its shoes and its panties.

• Cas Marino says:

Ken, thanks once again for a thought-provoking bit of “homework”.
    I loved the article and the process. As a graphic artist and marketing professional by background before entering theater full time, I completely felt the enormity of the creative team’s task (and applaud them for taking it in such stride: the public rarely gets to see the sleepless nights spent debating shades of red for a banner headline).
    I like (not love, but like) the new logo. To me it says ultimately “you loved “CHICAGO” — you’ll like THIS too”, which is a bit saddening, but given Broadway’s reliance on the tourist trade, a completely understandable business consideration.
    One thing I learned in the advertising trenches was to know where your product is in its life cycle. If this were the world premier production of “La Cage” many things could go wrong; play on the bird cage theme in the promotional art and you could fool folks into thinking it’s a musical about the Audobon Society; show nothing but hot men in heels and you’re selling a gay strip show and losing the beautiful family story and Herman score in the mix. The fact of the matter is “La Cage” is an iconic property — so task one, I feel, is to SAY NOTHING NEW if there is NOTHING EARTH-SHATTERINGLY NEW to say.
    To clarify: the “disco” theme may have pulled you into a belief that this is a revamped period piece that skews from the warm, Mediterranean setting of the original — you can’t DRASTICALLY update the statement the art makes if the statement of the show itself is not changed. You scare people into thinking you’ve toyed with their precious icon and you risk alienating those who will support your production simply because of their built-in love for the product.
    I think the new logo is at worst safe. And at best?
    Safe.

• Chuck says:

Terrible. Just awful. Made me not want to even think about adding this show to my list. I think SpotCo is not doing a good job lately. Are they designing for themselves or audiences?

• Caroline says:

Agree with Cas, totally safe and boring. Design-wise, I love the fake eyelashes/mustache.
    But I loved hearing his description of the neon one (bottom row, second from right) and how it can transition into a TV ad, with the mustache lighting up last.

• David says:

Quite like the logo. It was definitely the best of the bunch. Clean, clear, uncluttered, and it puts the name in big type. Also, its very modern, though not anachronistically so. I think its going to be important for them, in marketing the show, to have a consistent image they can use everywhere- to create a brand. None of the other logos gave them that opportunity. I wish they would’ve put a little more wit into the poster, but its attractive, and its going to catch peoples’ eyes in Times Square. It has a very “Chicago” quality about it (until you notice the dancers are men), and I think that is going to attract people.

• Vance says:

Huh, I disagree with most of the posters above and LOVE LOVE LOVE the logo they went with. It’s bold yet subtle in showing the muscly drag queens, which is exactly what this shows approach is (showing the slightly grittier side to La Cage). Yet it’s still light and fluff and clean (as David mentions)
    I did like a lot of the other posters they had designed tho, but I had no interest in seeing this show (since I saw it in London already) but the new poster is making me want to go again.

• Beth says:

Good point indeed… if I see one more self congratulatory item about them in the Times I’ll puke.
    Isn’t it their job to create memorable art for their client, to perpetuate the run of a show? Not continuously pat themselves on the back for their artistic brilliance? A very similar Ragtime article that ran in the times leaps to mind… good job on that one. Yikes!

• Marshall says:

Close but not quite a hand rolled Cuban. Don’t know that it will entice tourists.

• Randy Lake says:

Interestingly enough, I suspect the final logo depicts perfectly what this production will be like. After having been charmed by the original production (Which are the men? Which are the women?), the revival from a few years ago completely missed the boat by taking the “mystery” out of the Cagelles. This poster makes them look even less appealing… ragged old drag queens. While it might be a more realistic approach than the original, there’s something to be said for charm and feeling good (rather than feeling squalid and dirty) after a show.

• Keni Fine says:

I think it’s okay, don’t love it or hate it; I agree with some of the other comments that it reminds me of Chicago, and on my screen I didn’t read that the dancers were men, so I thought that it’s selling it as a sexy nightclub show. With the caveat of my not knowing what the new take on the show is, I liked the mustache and eyelashes much better… it has more charm and whimsy, which appeals to me; it’s also a large font logo so the name is out front, viewable from afar, etc. I don’t see why that one couldn’t be “scalable” and “multi-platformed”… if you’re into that kind of thing. I suppose what we’re looking for here is a cross-branded cross-dresser… and that hadn’t crossed my mind. ;~}

• producer to be says:

the logo they chose missed the mark because (from what i’ve read) this is supposed to be a smaller scale production than the last revival. they chose artwork that makes it look like it takes place at marquee or avenue or 1 oak. a hot, downtown club with hot music and hot people dancing and drinking. it also doesn’t evoke the heart of the show which is family and what that means and how other people’s views can’t define who we are or criticize us for being ourselves. i would’ve called fraver

• Jeff says:

Show poster for LA CAGE should be a moldly piece of cheese and a beaten up old hat – cause that’s what the piece is now- OLD HAT. The last revival (which sounds just like this one) flopped bigtime and so will this. It’s been played to death. WHAT are the producers thinking… or do they think?

• Tim says:

I love it. I’ve got to admit that, though it captures a sense of that first production pretty well, I’ve never been much of a fan of the original poster art. I think this current poster image captures the grittiness of the new production, while still feeling sexy and fun. It is perhaps a little safe (and, yes, a little reminiscent of Chicago, but that, if anything is a plus–the Chicago logo is great and there are worse things than being associated with their very successful brand).
    Unlike the Ragtime revival poster in the last Times “Evolution of a poster” series, it seems really clear that this time they chose the best option presented. It’s graphic, readable, very slightly naughty, conveys a sense of what the show will be like, and seems like it will be easy to sell. And it’s cool.
    Now, about that terrible photo of Kelsey Grammer on the outside of the theatre…

• Ralf says:

It is really a great and helpful piece of info. I am glad that you shared this useful
    information with us. Please keep us informed like this.

Thanks for sharing.

• For all those who’ve a Greek background, on the other hand, you discover that your youngsters are not able to comprehend the word what any longer, you will really need to use the web for various diverse learning packages which might be equipped for this purpose. It really is frequently far better to begin youthful using the kids to make sure that they could effortlessly get the word what and master it. Individuals who are curious about assisting their children understand greek will discover the packages offer anything that they are searching for from finding out supplies to audio and video tracks and considerably more. You’ll find diverse grade levels accessible, and little ones will go through every single level as though these were whilst attending college. The coaching packages might be discovered on the internet and readily available. Youngsters may have the ability to stick to the supplies around the pc, and also you will come across even exciting activities and videos which will captivate their focus creating understanding an enjoyable course of action!Advantages Of Brought Develop Lights And Brought Street Or Garage Lighting