Here are two words that you never thought you’d hear together.

Sports

and

Theater.

Sports shows haven’t been that successful on the ol’ Bway (except for Good News and those Damn Yankees), especially when compared to other entertainment mediums.  The movies do sports oh so well, so we’ve stayed away.  (There was a rumor about a Rocky musical, but admit it, just the thought makes you smirk in a Lestat kind of way.)

But there’s a show on Broadway right now that’s getting some athletic attention:  Lombardi, which is sponsored by the mammoth machine known as the NFL.

One of my marketing mantras that was taught to me by a smart press rep I’ve worked with is . . . get off the theater pages.

Well, Lombardi managed to do just that recently, with an article in AdAge about the unique partnership between football (which probably has more people watching on a Sunday than going to church) and Broadway.

Since we talked about the challenges of Broadway and sponsorship, I thought you’d be interested in checking it out.

Read it here.

And just imagine what could happen to the Great White Way if this partnership works:

NASCAR presents Earnhardt: His final lap.

Major League Baseball presents:  For the love of Pete . . . Rose.

PGA presents Tiger:  He’s in the woods again.

Comments
  • Uke Jackson says:

You left out “That Championship Season” by my late great friend Jason Miller. 844 performances at the Booth and a Pulitzer.

• Rachel says:

Look at their grosses.

• Nick Cavarra says:

How about “Take Me Out” – a great show – but I don’t think that one could get a sponsor – wink, wink…

• Sage says:

1) Oh man that picture. I just started at it with my jaw open for about 50 seconds.
    2) Crossing Jordan: The Michael Jordan Saga (in 23 parts)
    Privet Text’s by Brett Farve
    AAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!! Baseballs steroid musical

• Addison DeWitt says:

As long as women continue to buy 2/3 of all theater tickets, sports shows will be a tough sell.

• Stephen Buckle says:

Theatre+Sport success in London: It worked, with top reviews. I suspect it easily recouped over the 6 months since London costs are a fraction of Broadway. Wiki: “Chariots of Fire opened in previews 9 May at London’s Hampstead Theatre, and officially opened there on 22 May.[9] It transferred to the Gielgud Theatre in the West End on 23 June, where it ran through 5 January 2013. The producers have announced plans to tour the production in 2013/14.”