Costume Shop Manager/Draper – Cedar Lake Contemporary Ballet
WHO: Cedar Lake Contemporary Ballet
SEEKING: Cedar Lake, a contemporary ballet company based in New York City, is seeking a full-time Costume Shop Manager/Draper. Located in Chelsea, Cedar Lake produces new works by both emerging choreographers as well as established international artists.
Costume Shop Manager will oversee the costume shop, construction, and stock inventory for all Cedar Lake productions. Manage new costume builds, maintain costume inventory, oversee costume repairs, understudy costumes and replacement costumes. Manage all costume budgets, equipment and department scheduling. Manage dance shoe budget, inventory, distribution and stock. Hire and supervise additional freelance Costume Shop Staff as needed to complete all wardrobe-related tasks.
Oversee the draping, patterning and cutting for all Cedar Lake productions. Oversee construction of costumes. Interpret costume design sketches. Fit purchased garments, patterned costumes and alter patterns as necessary. Determine materials list, garment construction procedures and labor hours.
Costume Shop Manager/Draper reports to Cedar Lake Production Manager.
While it is not possible to list all of the expectations we have for you, the ones listed here are good examples of the basic duties you will be expected to perform.
1. Work with Production Manager and guest designers to ensure that all show builds are completed on schedule, on budget and within Cedar Lake guidelines and expectations.
2. Attend production and design meetings. Work with costume designers to realize designs on time and within approved budgets. Assist production and design team to creatively problem-solve technical challenges.
3. Assist Costume Designer or Design Assistant with sourcing fabrics, trims and notions and advising on costume construction technique. Create mock-ups (or supervise staff in creation of mock-ups) of costumes from designer sketches and notes. Oversee production, quality standards and design aesthetics of all costumes.
4. Develop and plan build schedule for shows and maintenance. Establish and communicate weekly and daily goals for builds.
5. Demonstrate an advanced understanding of costume construction, fabric response and dancer mobility needs. Demonstrate proficient hand and machine sewing skills.
6. Sew costumes and make repairs.
7. Supervise freelance Costume Shop staff (Stitchers, First Hand, etc. ) in completion of all Wardrobe tasks ensuring costumes are being constructed appropriately. Hire staff and assign work and projects based on shop capacity, budget and calendar. Maintain master task list and delegate tasks as appropriate.
8. Conduct all performer costume fittings with designers as available. Ensure that appropriate notes and photographs to execute all pattern, design and fit corrections are recorded. Ensure that all costume fittings are running on time. Work with Stage Manager and Production Manager to coordinate fitting schedules.
9. Assist in the fitting and alteration of ready-to-wear items.
10. Create mock-ups (muslins) of costumes from designer sketches and notes and advising on costume construction technique. Proactively pose questions that may not have been covered (closures, linings, etc).
11. Execute all design and fit corrections for first and final fabric fittings and second fittings as required.
12. Oversee the Wardrobe Supervisor on set-up, running, maintenance, repair and strike of costumes for all performances and tech rehearsals at home and on tour.
13. Communicate with other production departments, designers, stage managers, and other guest artists to ensure the safe and effective implementation of all costume elements.
14. Oversee general shop budget and ensures Costume Shop Supplies and Inventory Stock are maintained and all equipment is in good working order. Recommend capital purchases and shop improvements. Order all necessary materials and supplies while maintaining the annual budget.
15. Manage costume and footwear inventory. Works with vendors to provide pointe shoes, ballet slippers, and other footwear as required for rehearsal and performance in a timely manner. Manages shoe budget, storage, and physical inventory. Work with Wardrobe Supervisor in preparing shoe inventory for touring.
16. Maintain accurate notes list and their completion. Accurately archive all design and construction information in bibles and on shared drive to be able to provide complete and up to date paperwork for all Cedar Lake productions. Photograph and catalogue all pieces in storage. Coordinate needs from storage with Production co-workers.
17. Participate in daily operations of Production Department, including arranging for rental of equipment for theater or studio, crewing for theater, studio or off-site events, maintaining budget spreadsheets for all costume-related expenses, processes freelance payroll or other tasks as assigned.
18. Develop and supervise costume shop internship program in collaboration with Production Manager.
19. Other duties as assigned, including special events and projects related to all Cedar Lake activities.
REQUIREMENTS: Candidate should have 5+ years experience in costume shop management.
PAY: negotiable salary
HOW TO APPLY: Apply with resume and cover letter to Anita Shah, Cedar Lake Production Manager at email@example.com or fax to (212) 244-0982. No calls. EOE