Technical Director- Astoria Performing Arts Center
WHO: The Astoria Performing Arts Center (APAC), an off-off Broadway producing company in Astoria, Queens.
SEEKING: Technical Director for our 2011-2012 season, to begin immediately. The position will work on our two mainstage productions (a play in the fall, a musical in the spring), and two community programs (August 2011 & June 2012).
APAC prides itself on consistently producing AEA Showcase productions with high production values. Over the past five years, our productions have received 14 New York Innovative Theatre Award nominations. Six of those nominations, and two wins (Ragtime, Children of Eden), were in the category of Outstanding Set Design for designs by APAC's Resident Set Designer, Michael P. Kramer. The New York Times has called APAC “adventurous”, “plucky”, and “talented.” We work to high standards; the designers we work with know that we are committed to executing designs at the highest level that our budget and available resources will allow.
• Finding innovative solutions to technical challenges in order to maintain a high level of design within constraints of budget and space.
• Doing all pre-production planning including attending production meetings, budgeting materials and labor, ordering all materials, scheduling the build and loading, and completing all necessary technical designs.
• Work with the Production Manager to schedule all crews, and supervise all crews, which include both skilled and unskilled labor.
• Lead and contribute to the hands-on process of set build for both mainstages.
• Maintain the budget during build and load-in. Turn in all associated paperwork according to schedule.
• Attend technical rehearsals and complete any scenic notes.
REQUIREMENTS: Candidates should be highly organized and independent self-starters. He/She should also be a hard worker who thrives on collaborating to maintain the artistic integrity of a project, and is comfortable working in a fast paced environment with limited resources. Experience in this level of theatre is preferred.
WHEN: The candidate is expected to be available for staff and production meetings over the summer, with first build happening in October, for a November 3rd opening. The build and technical rehearsals are scheduled for nights and weekends so availability after 6pm on weekdays and all weekends is preferred.
PAY: Total fee for the season is $3,000
HOW TO APPLY: To apply, please email your resume and a cover letter to the Annie Jacobs, Production Manager with Technical Director in the subject line: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will be accepted until we fill the position. For more information on APAC, please visit our website: www.apacny.org