What we can learn from the life of Steve Jobs.

I don’t know if Steve Jobs ever even went to a Broadway show, but I do think he was one of the greatest Producers who ever lived.

He built things the world didn’t even know it needed.  And he did it in a showman style that would have made even David Merrick proud.

He had a few hits early in his career and then a few flops.  But that didn’t keep him from doing what he loved day in and day out . . . which led him to even bigger hits later on.

I never got to meet him (he has always been the person I would choose to have dinner with if I could pick anyone in the world).  But I was told that he had to personally approve my iPhone commercial, and man, when I heard that, I thought it was the coolest thing ever.  I didn’t even care if the thing ever aired.  I just remember thinking, “I hope I did him proud.”  (If you ever run into me, ask me to tell you the story of how he apparently didn’t like how I held my iPhone . . .  so duh, I changed my grip.)

Visionary, genius, innovator, etc.  These are all worlds that are tossed around when describing him, but none of them do him justice.

I think we should just retire the name Steve, and instead use it as a synonym for all those words combined.

He made the world a better place.

And more importantly . . . he inspired people to want to make the world an even better place.

He was just so . . . Steve.

Rest peacefully in ‘the cloud’, Mr. Jobs.

(Got a comment?  I love ’em, so comment below!  Email subscribers, click here, then scroll down, to say what’s on your mind!)

—————-

FUN STUFF

– 7 Days to Godspell!  Read the day-by-day account of producing Godspell on Broadway here.

– Spend an hour with me at Godspell tech!  Click here for info on how!

– Tune up your marketing materials at my new seminar!  Learn more here!

– Win 2 tickets to see The Blue Flower at Second Stage Off Broadway!  Click here!

Comments
  • Christine says:

Well said Ken. Thank you. Rest in peace Steve Jobs.

• Alexa says:

Have you seen The Tao Of Steve? Perhaps Dex should add Steve Jobs to his speech…
    Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y’know, I’m talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y’know, he’s the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl.

• Rich says:

Much of the essence of Steve Jobs is revealed in his poignant & very moving 2005 Stanford Commencement Address.
    It may viewed at http://mashable.com/2011/10/06/steve-jobs-commencement-speech/

• Scott says:

I actually got to work with Mr. Jobs in the mid-late 80s, and a few years ago, I spoke with him on the phone. They were two totally unrelated incidents with many years between them. I didn’t expect him to remember me, but when I reminded him of our paths having crossing, he was beyond gracious and remembered our earlier encounters.
    Steve Jobs was intense. Brilliant and driven. I consider myself extremely lucky to have had these experiences. For me, it was like meeting Walt Disney or Jim Henson, two of the people I’d most like to have shared a dinner with.

• Vana says:

To think differently is what we should learn from Steve Jobs.
    Michael Jackson once said in a song. CHANGE THE WORLD!
    Steve jobs did just that! Good JOB! And Rest in peace!

• I would like to pass this on.
    Steve Jobs did not create products. He created an organization that predictably and reliably created emotionally resonant products.
    Steve Jobs did not make movies. He made a company that predictably and reliably made blockbusters.
    Steve Jobs did not wrest market share from competitors. He created new markets that attracted and sustained competitors.
    Steve Jobs did not design anything. He gave others the freedom to think about what jobs products are hired to do.
    Steve Jobs did not re-engineer processes. He brought engineering processes to works of creativity and the creative process to engineering.
    Steve Jobs did not develop new management theories. He showed by example that innovation can be managed.
    Steve Jobs was not a visionary. He put the dots together and saw where they led.
    Steve Jobs was not a futurist. He just built the future one piece at a time.
    Steve Jobs did not distort reality. He spoke what he believed would become reality at a time when those beliefs seemed far fetched.
    Steve Jobs was not charismatic. He spoke from the heart compelling others to follow him.
    Steve Jobs was not a gifted orator. He spoke plainly.
    Steve Jobs was not a magician. He practiced, a lot.
    He had taste.
    He was curious.
    He was patient.
    He was foolish.
    He was hungry.
    These things many others can do. Maybe you can.

• Bryan David says:

Dear Mr. Davenport, et al:
    Yes even McDonald’s uses adverts so does Coca Cola.
    So as you pointed out if you’ve got your product in the customers hand (so to speak) I was thinking on the outside of the ticket envelope for:
    “Whitechapel” © The Life & Times of ‘Jack The Ripper’ A Musical Love Story! ™
    Bring your ticket stub to the box office for a 1/2 price ticket to his next work:
    “Wilde About Me!” ©
    The Life, Loves & Lawsuits of: Oscar Wilde! ™
    On that ticket envelope it also says:
    “Christmas Dreams & Holiday Wishes” © (and the Christmas Fairy Too!) ™ and so on.
    Mr. Producer if you please…

• Margie says:

I notice tdf is giving a HUGE credit to “Alicia Kets presents” — Stick Fly. So if you’re not Alicia Keys, if you don’;t promote yourself, who will?

• Carson Leibowitz

I truly appreciate this article post.Really thank you! Great.