Holiday Greetings from The Producer’s Perspective

On behalf of myself, as well as my entire staff . . . Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah to each and every one of you.

A donation will be made on behalf of the readers of this blog to TDF, who works hard to give the gift of theater to so many who wouldn’t ordinarily have the chance.

So, what did you ask Santa for this year?

Or put it this way . . . if you could ask for one thing . . . theater related . . . what would it be?  Hugh Jackman tickets?  Ben Brantley’s home address?  The new Godspell cast recording?  😉

If I had to pick one theater thing to ask Santa for this year it would be . . .

An increase in domestic tourism in the 2012 year, because when tourism is up in our lovely city, our grosses go up as well, and when grosses go up, our recoupment rate goes up, and when our recoupment rate goes up, then more investor money flows in, and when more investor money goes in, Producers can afford to take more risk, like on new writers and unknown talents, and  . . . well you get the picture.

What would you ask Santa for?

(Got a comment?  I love ’em, so comment below!  Email subscribers, click here, then scroll down, to say what’s on your mind!)

—————-

FUN STUFF

– VOTE for Producer of the Year!  Click here!

– Learn How To Market Your Show with Email in the Email Marketing Seminar on Jan. 12th.  Register Today!

Comments
  • Catherine Y says:

I asked Santa for the rights to n2n!

• Kristopher says:

I’d ask for more shows to follow suit in the way of crowd-funded shows. It stands a chance to change what gets produced, what gets written and what gets seen on Broadway.

• San D says:

More 7 o’clock starts! By the time I make my way back home after a show, I don’t get home until 1 am with the typical 8 start.

• Noah B. says:

I saw Godspell with TDF tickets this afternoon, Ken!! And I loved every minute of it!! 🙂

• Joyce says:

Tickets to “Book of Mormon”!!

• Brian Hajjar says:

Dear Mr. Davenport,
    I just received the Godspell CD in the mail! I was extremely impressed with everything, especially “Tower of Babble.” The CD is amazing! (and so are all of the other new arrangements haha). I would want Santa to bring the opportunity for more unknown writers and singers to perform on the broadway.
    Happy Holidays!
    Brian Hajjar

• Michael DiGaetano says:

A great producer and about $10,000,000 for Miss Humanity, of course. :>D

• All I want for Christmas is about $100,000 to pay off the debt incurred in 2011 putting on 3 different shows that were critical hits, nominated for multiple awards and yet getting the paying audiences in proved difficult at best. Still we go on because we have no choice. Theatre is our first love!

• I would ask Santa to produce the new musical COUNT TO TEN on Broadway or Off-Broadway.

• Well, I got the Godspell Album on Thursday cause I couldn’t wait anymore. I’ve been dying for this CD since I saw it in previews!!! I asked for a Kindle (as per your suggestions for new producers and writers – Which I got from my mom!!!) and MY best friend and I were going for the lottery tickets today for Godspell but we got lazy and watched Harry Potter 7.1 and 7.2 back to back. now I wish we saw Godspell. OH the regrets of Christmas!!!!!!!!!

• Sean C. says:

I know what I want for 2012…full time employment in commercial theatrical management in NYC. I’m looking forward to this next year’s successes! 🙂
    Thanks for the great industry blog Ken….always gives us things to think about! Happy New Year!

• Bryan David says:

Dear Mr. Davenport, et al:
    I received almost everything a man could ask for this holiday season. I got an E-Mail from the BIGGEST Broadway Producer working the boards these days. (That would be you!) Even though you are on a ‘Diet of no new works’ THIS year. (I wear you E-Mail message as a badge of honor.)
    I spent the holiday with my Bride of 20+ yrs. and had a roof over my head an a meal on my table. I am blessed.
    The only thing I did not get THIS year is a workshop/Production of one of the 12+ Two-Act musicals I’ve written the Book & Lyrics for such as:
    “Whitechapel” ©
    The Life & Times
    of:
    ‘Jack The Ripper’
    A Musical Love Story! ™
    © Copyright 1996/2007 Bryan David/Brandon Kress
    All Rights Reserved
    or:
    “Wilde About Me!” ©
    The Life, Loves & Lawsuits
    of:
    Oscar Wilde! ™
    © Copyright 2010 Bryan David/Brandon Kress
    All Rights Reserved
    But there is always next year! I trust you will have reached you ‘Goal Production Weight’ and will be considering ‘new’ workshops/Productions.
    One other goal for me in the coming year (2012) is to meet you & Ms. Caplow for coffee. Everyone has dreams,
    “I have dreams that reach past the sky.”
    (from “Whitechapel” ©)
    Here’s to a VERY Happy New Year!
    Bryan David
    Playwright & Lyricist
    bryandavid25@gmail.com

• Danny says:

I’d ask Santa to bring down the cost of producing a broadway musical back to where it was a few decades ago (adjusted for inflation, of course.) Back then, producers could afford to take a chance on a musical that wasn’t based on a movie or some other recognizable commodity.
    You start to wonder what would happen if Stephen Sondheim had been born 50 years later and was trying to get “Company” or “Sunday in the Park…” produced on Broadway today as a new unknown writer. My guess is, it wouldn’t happen.
    How hard would it be to go back to then?

• I like what Ken said about producers being in a position to take more risks. This season we have three Black women who have shows on Broadway: “Stick Fly”, “Mountaintop”, and “Porgy and Bess”. I am so thrilled by the risk taking involved in putting these shows on the Great White Way. Women of color are produced way less than 10% nationally, and this figure has been as low as 1%. The fact that these shows have made it to Broadway at all is nothing short of a Christmas Miracle. I hope to see more of this type of risk taking in the future, but we have to buy tickets and get out there to see the these shows so producers will know audiences want new voices on Broadway.

• Cam says:

Wow, I really like where you’re going with this Ken! My birthday was yesterday, so even though I wouldn’t ask Santa for anything, what I would like, is that I can find a theater who would be willing to publicly read my musical then get the feed back (obviously positive feedback ;-)) that I need to find a producer(s) who has the money (or lots of money) to produce it. Then, this producer or producers would sweep me into their fold and teach me the ropes. That would be a great gift!

• Cam says:

Thanks Ken for the donation on our behalf. What a great gesture! Glad you’re feeling better too.

• Ron Onslow says:

We have this great blog! What more could any of us ask for… but, since you’ve asked… I’d ask Santa for to have the S.E.C. lighten up on the investment restrictions and investor qualifications when investing in Broadway / Off-Broadway shows. When producing shows, available and accessible money can only be a good thing!

• Peter says:

Thanks Ken for the donation. I too would like an environment where Broadway producers could take more risks. I’d also love the opportunity to Direct a large budget/broadway bound production.

• Shannon D. says:

since I just saw “Bonnie & Clyde” on Monday (the 26th),
    my wish for this Holiday season would be:
    * * * For “Bonnie & Clyde” NOT TO CLOSE * * *
    The songs are a Great mix of Rock & Ballets.
    The cast is super talented & the chemistry between Laura & Jeremy are AMAZING.
    Its so sad they were “fighting for acceptance” on the Great White Way since before it even opened 🙁

• Chris says:

Broadway Santa please bring an easier way for locals to buy tickets. A fair and fast way to go see a show!
    The more I read your blog, I’m less convinced that price and discounts are the full issue. It is also about convenience. Like it or not, I think live theater competes with other forms of entertainment like department stores, day trips, and high end restaurants. All are much easier to browse and more fun to shop.

• mary ellen ashley says:

I would ask to do another show with the best producer in NYC.I would love to be in it and and participate as investor again