My New Year’s Resolution – what’s yours?

Let me be one of the first to wish you all a Happy New Year!

I love New Year’s.  It’s my favorite holiday, and probably the favorite holiday of most entrepreneurs out there. It represents a new beginning, a chance to take stock of where you are, and make plans (aka resolutions) about where you want to go.

I’m a big resolution setter.  I set a whole ton of ’em for the shows and projects that I’m working on, as well as the shows and projects I want to be working on for the next year.  I throw some personal ones in there as well (drink less coke, eat less Wendy’s – good luck to me!), because I also know that a more balanced personal life leads to a more successful professional life.

This year, I’m also setting another resolution.  And here it is.

I resolve to produce something I wouldn’t normally produce.  I’m going to take a risk on something that might not be my cup of tea, because that’s the only way I’ll learn, the only way I’ll diversify, and the only way I’ll broaden my own artistic horizons.

I don’t know what it’ll be.  I don’t know if it’ll even make it to a stage this year.  But I will do something . . . different.  I’m going to produce outside of my comfort zone.

What’s your resolution?

(Got a comment?  I love ’em, so comment below!  Email subscribers, click here, then scroll down, to say what’s on your mind!)

——

– Get Your Show Off the Ground Seminar: 2/18. Sign up today!

Comments
  • Kari Lynn says:

“Facebook Me” The Play, my friend. It’s totally out of your comfort zone. It’s teenagers for godsake. It’s out of everyone’s comfort zone;) But, it’s a topic that needs to be out there and keep people talking. Just think, you can get your resolution out of the way in the first quarter. Just saying;)

• Michael DiGaetano says:

I too intend to do new things this year. Write a book. Perform stand-up like I intended to many years ago. Learn how to read a contract so I’m not day dreaming about puppies or ice cream by the third paragraph. Maybe even balance my checkbook.

• Mozz says:

Ken, that was my resolution for 2011, and it is a life changer. I decided to take a year away from theatre and do a lot of other stuff that I always wanted to do, it turned my life around, and as it actually got me paid as a writer. not that those years playwrighting didn’t train me for it.
    My 2012 resolution is lofty. My resolution is to become the instrument by which other people’s resolutions and dreams come true. now if I play my cards right that makes me super successful, cause that means I will have all the resources to make other people’s dreams come true.
    and Happy New Year Ken! It’s also my favorite holiday.

• Michael Orzechowski says:

My resolution this year: to promote and publish. I finished writing a play last year and produced it down here in Baltimore (so much fun and a killer response – best feeling ever), and now I want to see it go farther while finishing the second play!
    Good luck in the new year and I’m excited for another year of blogs!
    Happy New Year from Charm City!

• Mary says:

Good resolution, stepping out of your comfort zone. Mine is karmic — I read recently that if you wish good things for others that generosity comes back, so I wish that everyone with a few acts and a dream should get their show up on a stage. I want to have lots more fun with the process. Do some fast, flashy work and the strut a little. Is it so wrong to spread your peacock feathers? I want to work with more wonderful actors and directors like the ones I worked with on my two staged pieces in 2010. It’s a wonderful life and someone asked me when I would retire, I picked 97 but I had my fingers crossed. Happy New Year!!!

• An admirable resolution. Mine is to convince you I have *the* play with which you want to take that risk. It’s called “An Uncommon Language,” it’s won four significant competitions and been runner-up in half a dozen others; and it’s unproduced to date because it *is* a hard play to stage. It needs a producer with resources — like, say, Davenport Theatricals.
    If you’re willing to take a look (I know; this isn’t how we’re supposed to approach you) there’s a dialogue sample on my website: http://www.guilford-blake.com/evan/Resume.html. Just click on the title. (By the way, the fourth award, Colonial Players Promising Playwright award, hasn’t been posted yet. But you can read a Baltimore Sun critic’s response to a reading of it at http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2011-12-28/news/bs-ar-johnson-year-roundup-20111227_1_live-arts-maryland-colonial-players-tenors.)
    Thanks. And best wishes for 2012 and beyond.
    Evan Guilford-Blake

• Bryan David says:

“I resolve to produce something I wouldn’t normally produce. I’m going to take a risk on something that might not be my cup of tea, because that’s the only way I’ll learn, the only way I’ll diversify, and the only way I’ll broaden my own artistic horizons.
    I don’t know what it’ll be. I don’t know if it’ll even make it to a stage this year. But I will do something . . . different. I’m going to produce outside of my comfort zone.”
    -Ken Davenport; Davenport Theatricals
    My New Year’s resolution is to be ‘THAT’ I deliver, will you take me out?
    “Whitechapel” ©
    The Life, Loves & Lawsuits
    of:
    Oscar Wilde! ™
    © Copyright 2010 Bryan David/Brandon Kress
    All Rights Reserved
    HAPPY NEW YEAR!

• I’m working on a one-man musical called “Waltzing on Marshmallows” about my quest for a mystical vision during the Harmonic Convergence. (Somewhere in Hollywood, Shirley MacLaine was having a way cooler time.)
    August 16th and 17th is the twenty-fifth anniversary of that event. My resolution is to perform at least 40 minutes of it, including the tap dance number. (I only started tap dancing in June, lol.)
    I also resolve to have two or three videos up of the songs that have the most potential to go viral (because there’s a built-in audience for the keywords they relate to. A very little bit of work has netted me over 1000 views for the original ten-minute iteration of the show, so I figure if I spend make a 100-fold effort, I can grab 100,000 views– and maybe more since these videos would have more attractive keywords.)
    (I wouldn’t have thought of that one without this exercise– so thanks Ken.)
    Oh, and this one you’ll like Ken– I resolve to attend something you’re doing in the coming year. (Of course, you can make it easier on me by coming to SF– or at least the West Coast at a time when I don’t have a performance.)
    Oh, and I want to send you at least one more item that you’ll blog about, lol.

• RICHARD SEFF says:

KEN, I’VE SAID IT BEFORE AND I SAY IT AGAIN,THE SHOW YOU DON’T WANT TO PRODUCE THAT WILL SUPPLY YOU WITH ENOUGH DISCRETIONARY INCOME TO PRODUCE ANYTHING YOU WANT IN FUTURE IS :
    SHINE! THE HORATIO ALGER MUSICAL
    WHICH IS EVERYTHING AMERICA WANTS AND NEEDS RIGHT NOW.
    A NYMF TRIPLE PRIZE WINNER, IT COMES WITH A CORPORATION AND A MAJOR BACKER ATTACHED, WITH 7 FINE REVIEWS, AND PROVEN AUDIENCE ACCEPTANCE. IF YOU DON’T JOIN US, AT LEAST REMEMBER US SO YOU LEARN FROM YOUR ERROR IN NOT TACKLING THIS CROWD PLEASER FILLED WITH MELODY AND MIRTH. HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU, TOO, FOR YOU ARE A YOUNG PRODUCER WHO APPEALS TO US. RICHARD SEFF AND THE OTHER AUTHORS OF ‘SHINE!’

• John Kunich says:

I resolve to do everything inhumanly possible to make “Marva!”, my musical play about the famed African-American teacher Marva Collins, the break-out hit of 2012. I spent 2011 revising and polishing the book, music, and lyrics. Now I will devote 2012 to persuading people to believe in a musical about one woman from Jim-Crow Alabama who started a little school in Chicago’s most desperate ghetto for young black kids who had nowhere else to go…and made miracles.

• Rita Rigano says:

My resolution is to keep taking one step after another, to continue developing and to mount the intimate, fun and funny project I believe in (note to self: maybe a title, even a working one, should come sooner on the project plan). Would I love to have it produced by Davenport Theatricals? Well, of course! But more likely, and more under my control, is to take charge myself. One important step I am taking: telling friends what I am doing. No more stealth development – out of the closet and accountable! Thanks for keeping me honest, Ken. Happy New Year!

• Cam says:

Build more bridges Ken.

• Sounds like this might be in the ballpark for blackensembletheater.org in Chicago. You can read about them here:
    They’ve been mostly doing musicals based on famous black performers (Marvin Gaye, etc.) but with Marva is well known and there’s a Chicago connection.

• Altar Boyz– Godspell– with all that God stuff, seems like something devil related would be out of your comfort zone.
    A musical based on Angel Heart where Mickey Rourke plays the devil opposite Lisa Bonet? (That one’s my nomination for a less comedic Sweeney Todd.) Or the Devil’s Advocate, where Keanu Reeves deals with Al Pacino’s devil?
    Or maybe just A revival of Damn Yankees?

• eebostedo79@gmail.com says:

My resolution… in 2011 I started school for my MBA (Sports Arts Entertainment Management) so I can learn the business side of a producer. In 2012 I want to intern with a Producer/Production company so I can learn the more of what really it take to be a GOOD producer so I can one of the best!

• JoyAnn Savino says:

Wishing you a wonderous year full of new adventures Ken! Good luck with all your resolutions, the stop drinking coke will be your hardest, the rest a piece of cake! I am going to finish writing a broadway play, no not off Broadway on Broadway! And, since I have no clue what that entails,just know it is a very different story that must be told, it will happen. Of course you will be the first to see parts of it, since you are the best! happiness & fun for 2012!

• Bravo! Step out of your comfort zone. I will do my damnedest to get to New York and see it, whatever it is.

• I do believe many of the ideas you have presented for ones publish. These are pretty begging all of which will definitely function. Nonetheless, this discussions have become brief for starters. May possibly you desire increase them somewhat via the next time? Many thanks for a write-up.