This post is for everyone who thinks theater is too expensive.

Theater tickets are a luxury good . . . so they can be expensive.

But, thanks to programs like 20at20, they can also be downright cheap.

Starting January 18th and continuing on for 20 days, you can see over 30 shows Off-Broadway for only $20!  Yep, $20, only a few dollars more than a movie and a lot of dollars less than dinner for 2 (which, by the way, you can get for free if you see 7 or more shows in those 20 days).

Seriously, you can’t tell me theater is too expensive with promotions like this. And before you say, “Oh, but it’s Off-Broadway,” don’t forget that Off-Broadway gave us Spring Awakening, Rent, Proof, Doubt, A Chorus Line, and so many, many more.

Get all the details and see all the shows (including two of mine: The Awesome 80s Prom (now in its 8th year) and Miss Abigail’s Guide (in its 2nd and about to open a tour in Rochester), as well as Traces, Silence, Freckleface Strawberry and the much antipated, Carrie!) by visiting www.20at20.com.

Enjoy seeing great theater at a price that everyone can afford.

(And if you’re looking for the Broadway version, check out BroadwayWeek here).

(Got a comment? I love ’em, so comment below! Email subscribers, click here, then scroll down, to say what’s on your mind!)

——

– Win a FREE admission to TedX Broadway.  Click here to enter!

– SEMINAR ALERT: Get Your Show Off the Ground Seminar: 2/18. Sign up today!

Comments
  • I did the 20 at 20 in 2010. Honestly, I hated the show I saw–truly awful. But the good news was I found out where off-Broadway was.

• Brian Hajjar says:

This is a great idea!
    For students like myself, this is a really good offer because we can see great off-broadway shows for an affordable price.
    Brian Hajjar

• Bruce says:

Ken: One problem with 20at20. If I understand this correctly, the tickets are only available 20 minutes before the show begins. If there are no tickets available, there you are, standing in front of an Off Broadway theatre with no tickets. Now what? Don’t get me wrong. I think promotions are a great idea. But for someone like me who has to come into the City to see a show (I live and work in NJ), something like this is too risky. I costs $12 just to get into the City.

• Jon Kakaley says:

Theater is expensive… but if people understood the production costs involved they’d understand a little more.
    20@20’s a great deal. I also saw a poster with $10 student tickets to off-Broadway.

• Good question. What you do is pick a couple of shows that are nearby, and then just hop theaters if one is sold out. It is rare that a show doesn’t have tix avail, and it is almost impossible that two wouldn’t have tix available. Give it a shot. If two are sold out, I’ll pay you $20. 🙂

• sjthespian says:

Ken, as a somewhat regular Broadway visitor (somewhat because I live on the opposite coast and only get to NYC a few times a year), tickets *are* too expensive. Sure, there are the occasional $20 tickets, the rush tickets, and the tickets that shows release to TKTS. However, this is a small fraction of the tickets available. The average family of 4 isn’t going to be able to get them and is going to be shelling out upwards of $500 to see a show. And that doesn’t even touch on the $300+ tickets that many shows are selling for those “premium” seats.
    Heck, I have a hard enough time getting folks to come to the community theater I work with and our tickets are a fraction of that (just barely over the $20 you talk about here).
    I remember many years ago when I lived on the east coast going into the city to see shows. In those days I never saw any of the big shows as the only way we ever got tickets was from TKTS. Sure things have changed and more shows are available from cheaper outlets, but overall even with the cost of the production, tickets are still way too expensive for most.

• Seth Duerr says:

It is ludicrous to suggest that random promotions equalize the playing field.
    This behavior is utterly backward. The current pricing is not supportive of a theater blind to economic status. As your first statement illustrates, the word ‘luxury’ is being applied to theater tickets.
    Such a word is anathema to the very reason theater should exist. It is about SERVICE, not elitism.
    While I acknowledge the presence of TKTS, 20@20, etc., such offers are hardly a curative to the problem at hand. It is no wonder that Broadway must import the greatest productions from other cities and countries. It is simply too expensive to mount them here, and we’ve lost any sense of taste long ago.
    A $65M+ musical is merely one example. No wonder ticket prices are so inflated with budgets like that. But even smaller budget shows charge ridiculous prices.
    Producers in this town are clearly attempting the Hollywood model. That is foolish beyond belief. If you add together every Broadway box-office-receipt from every show that played last year, COMBINED, you’d barely break $1B. A single blockbuster film can bank that in a few weeks.
    Clearly, Broadway will never come near Hollywood.
    So. PLEASE throw out this elitist paradigm. Get back to the bloody point of doing this work. A darkened room in which a group of strangers can commune with storytellers and leave the theater a little better, in some way, than when they entered.

• Matt says:

Spoken by a businessman. The prices are killing diversity in theater, making me even less likely to want to pay to go see yet another revival of something I’ve seen 5 productions of already or another Disney musical.

• Shane says:

I’m surprised to see that they’ve failed to compile the consolidated schedule of the 20@20 shows this year… In previous years there was always a consolidated schedule like this one – http://www.20at20.com/20at20ShowSchedule2011.pdf
    Sure you can look at any one show and find it’s schedule… but if you want to pick up the potential audience members who have a spare evening and decide to go see an off-broadway show due to 20@20, that’s not a convenient way to search.