Caution: This Blog could contain large amounts of cheese.

I write a lot of blogs with statistics and strategies . . . and this ain’t one of them.

See, I’m writing this blog from the lobby of Portland Center Stage (it’s an amazing lobby, by the way . . . with Wifi, a coffee shop, jazz music, and the friendliest open-air box offices around).  The opening performance of Somewhere in Time just started a few moments ago.

I know, I know . . . you’re wondering why I’m writing a blog when I should be in there watching the show, right?  Well, I have this thing . . . call it a superstition, call it nerves, or just a plain neuroses . . . but I never sit for my openings.  Besides, I had a blog to write!  One of the great things about writing a blog every day is that no matter how great a day is going, or how bad a day is going, I gotta write a blog.  Period.  It grounds me every single day.

Back to the fromage.

Before the show started, I spoke to the cast and crew . . . and as I stared at them all, and as we held hands and “circled up,” I was reminded of why I do what I do.

I was an only child (a lot of you out there are probably saying, “Ahhh, that explains a lot!”).  And I remember when I was a kid, all I wanted were brothers and sisters . . . people that were just like me . . . that liked, no, that loved, the same things I did.  People that I had a lot in common with . . . so we could “play” together.

And as I spoke to the cast and crew, I realized something . . . I got my wish.

Because as filled with cheddar as this may sound, the only thing better than an actual family is a theatrical family.

Theater people are the most passionate people in the world.  Whether that’s someone you know, like Alan Cumming on Macbeth, or someone you might not know, like Erin Burniston on Somewhere in Time.  These people join hands and “circle up” to put on a project whose sole purpose is to bring joy to other people’s lives.

And I get to work with them every single dang day.  And that makes me, well, to paraphrase an Ephron title, one hell of a “lucky guy.”

So thank you to all of the theater people out there, including each and every one of you who read this blog . . . you make the best brothers and sisters I could have ever asked for.

Back to stats and strats tomorrow . . .

_ _

– Looking to get serious about producing a show of your own?  Or have you written a show that you want to get up on its feet?  Take a seminar with me and let me show you how.  Click here to learn more.

Comments
  • Edward Medina says:

I’ve been involved in the world of Theatre all my life. You are spot on, brother. 😉 Moving back home to NYC very soon to see and put on a couple of shows. Hoping to see one of yours very soon. Somewhere in Time is a favorite of mine. Best of luck bringing it home too!!

• Ilene Argento says:

I love you too, Ken! I have 2 “sisters” (in name only), but my true brothers and sisters are the ones who share my heart and my love. There is NOTHING in the world like theatre! Hope all went well last night!!! Can’t wait to hear the buzz!!

Love, your sister, Ilene (aka “Jarlsberg!”)

• Anne says:

I was raised on Theater. Going to theater. My siblings performed in shows, we had season tickets to the “young people’s” concerts at Lincoln Center, we went to Broadway shows and off-Broadway Gilbert and Sullivan. We did this all the time growing up.

I exposed my kids to the same, taking them to community, regional and Broadway theater, signing them up for Theater camps, etc…

It wasn’t until recently however that I actually really became involved with a cast and you are so right – it’s family. They are the most wonderful people, there’s a special bond. I get it now why so many people want this life!

Thanks for sharing this piece.

• Robert Sweet says:

I have been a theater nut all my life! The first Broadway show I saw was Dear World with Miss Angela L.!!!!! I’ve seen pretty much ever since. Looking forward to the Tony’s on Sunday! Glad I found your blog!

• Michael L. says:

What a sweet, heart-warming blog. Thank you. And break a leg, Ken!!

• Bunny says:

So many of us feel like we’ve touched base again when your blog appears… Best of good luck now and Sunday. First time I’ve been rooting for people I don’t know, well, don’t REALLY know. Yet.

• janis says:

We all understand. And all of us here are your playmates, brothers and sisters as well.

Break a leg. You’re on your way back to Broadway.

Hugs.

• Wendi S says:

I love being in NYC I married a great guy but unfortunately his work is in Virginia but I miss the city. I had fun picking the Tony’s thank you for the chance and good luck everyone! Save me a seat!

• The Other Ken says:

Yup! You made me feel like part of the Godspell family. I do so enjoy seeing those “kids” like Tely and Lindsay who are clearly supportive of each other, just like a family should be. Thanks.

• You are so right, Ken. I have two brothers and two sisters, and we love each other, but none of them get me like my theatre family!

• Sue says:

I knew you were a little brother to me ever since I learned you are from Sturbridge MA. I’m from MA and Sturbridge Village was one of my favorite places to visit as a kid. Red Sox Nation!!

• Scott Briefer says:

Okay, so you totally made me tear up. Shame on you!

I love reading your blog and appreciate your effort each and every day.

Break-a-leg!

• Fantastic! Totally get the family thang. Or summer camp! 🙂

• Laura says:

Congratulations to you and yours…

• Kristen says:

You’re so right! There is nothing like theatre people and we are so blessed. I’m at the TCG conference and we had a reception in a sculpture garden tonight. There was this interesting installment of rows and rows of men with no heads. Someone walked up and I asked her what she thought it meant and she told me and I told her that, to me, it seemed to represent all the people who don’t want to have to think for themselves, the ones who just want to show up and do what they’re told. Then a pause as I thought about what I just said and added, “you know…the NON-theatre people.”

Break legs- I hope it was a smash.

• John David says:

Ken,
    Fabulous blog as always. Tremendous success with Somewhere in Time. I have to disagree with you on one thing. I know Erin Burniston; I have watched her perform many times. She and my daughter were both in the theater program at Lake Braddock Secondary School in Burke, VA. Erin is very talented and very sweet. Break a leg!!
    John

• Mary Jane Schaefer says:

For those of you who come from happy families, please look the other way.
    For the rest of us, there is that fine old saying, “Friends are God’s way of making up to
    us for the families He stuck us with.”

• Zanne Hall says:

Love this blog for two reasons: thanks for including us as we follow your play production, and; thanks for explaining one of the reasons I hang associate myself with the theatre world as opposed to other forms of entertainment – the close-knit family that movies & TV do not bring to the artist (unless of course they’re in a LONG running series!).

• Doors, windows, and cabinetry have become specializations in themselves
    and have become distinct trades. Many hand tools are automatic and are generally powered by
    electricity. It will be advantageous to highlight everything related
    to carpentry in and outside of school.