Forget about investing in Broadway shows. What about Broadway stars?

Broadway Patti LuponeHere’s something fun and possibly even profitable for all you sports fans out there.

A company called Fantex Holdings has taken fantasy football to to the next level.  In the Fantex market, you can actually buy a share of a player!  For realsies!   They issue an IPO for an individual, who gets paid what is raised in the initial offering, and then that player agrees to give a percentage of his future earnings to his shareholders.

Player gets up front cash.  Investors get hopeful long term rewards.

You can read all about it here.

I have a feeling this niche form of investing (and gambling) may just gain some hobby-like traction.  After all, this kind of thing is the American way . . . if something is fun, like football, just add money, and it becomes more fun.  Right?

Of course, I couldn’t help but think if it could be transferred to Hollywood (imagine owning a piece of Clooney), and of course to our backyard on Broadway.

What if you could own a piece of Patti LuPone?  Or what about a Director?  Or hey, would you buy a share of a Broadway Producer?  Hint.  Hint.

Seems like a crazy concept, right?  But it gives investors a chance to invest small amounts of capital and “own” a piece of art.  And it gives artists a chance for a quick and easy payout, allowing them some insurance as they continue on with their careers.

So tell me.  Who do you think is a Broadway blue chip?  Who would you invest in???

_ _

– Have you invested in a Broadway show?  Take our Broadway Investor Survey by clicking here!

– Take the Get Your Show Off The Ground Seminar on Saturday, November 16th.  Click here!

– Win tickets to see La Soirée!  Click here to enter!

– Only 1 (!) more chance to party like it’s 1989 at The Awesome 80s Prom!  SEE IT THIS SATURDAY!

Comments
  • Tyler says:

Two easy sells would be Neil Patrick Harris & Hugh Jackman. Easily recognizable and still loved by theatre geeks!

• Matthew says:

I would seriously consider investing in you, Ken. As long as you keep doing things like your countdown to Godspell blog. That was my favorite.

• ken says:

I would invest in Lindsay Mendez in a minute. She has an amazing instrument. People love to work with her. Where can I sign to her career?

• Nanda Douglas says:

I think this would be an excellent way to promote younger and rising Broadway talents like Adam Kantor, Betsy Wolfe and Cassie Levy alongside the heavy hitters like Bernadette Peters, Victoria Clarke, etc. This would also be a great way for Producers and Directors to get an idea of how actors they’re interested in are being received.

• Janis says:

Another Great Idea!

Why limit the investments to Stars? As you hinted at, why not allow investment in the careers of producers, playwrights, musicians, choreographers, costumers, etc. Then there’s the songs, film rights, and branded merchandise and the brand itself.

Investments in artists and their art might have as great or greater potential for profit with only slightly greater risk than any other business that goes ‘public.’

Then there’s investment in the products such as scripts, songs and film rights.

So many aspects of theatre have potential for profit thus might be opportunities for investment, fantasy or otherwise.

Maybe all artists and arts should go public. Instead of the New York Stock Exchange, we could have the World Arts and Artists Exchange. Then we could expand to the Fantasy Theater League, etc.

Uh oh, went off the deep end there…

• I would be very happy to invest in Nina Arianda!!

• Cheryl says:

Of course I would invest in you, Ken! But first I would invest in Hugh Jackman! And in many ways, I already have! Haha!

• Marcinho says:

In no particular order: Billy Porter, Orlando Bloom, Norbert Leo Butz, Nathan Lee Graham, Kristin Chenoweth, Bernadette Peters, Debbie Allen, Phylicia/Condola Rashad, Lane, Beach, Broderick, NPH… so many others to consider!!!!

• Marcinho says:

Good point about Producers, et al @JANIS! That’s a great idea! 🙂

• Mrty says:

What a great idea, Ken. FIRST I would invest in you, after MacBeth it’s a given you would be first on my list (I’m new so forgive me that I don’t know your previous work). Secondly, I would definitely invest in Broderick, Lane, Bloom, Butz, Chenowith, and the list goes on and on and on.

I’ve always wanted to be a producer, or invest in a project, but the buy-in has always been out of my league. I LOVE this idea, to have a piece of a dream wold be fantastic…and dream-like…and oh gosh, I’m really vibing now. Somebody has to make this happen!

• Rich Mc says:

This financial gimmick strikes me as profoundly crazy and I’m surprised the SEC would sanction it. By extension everyone (doctors, lawyers & Indian chiefs) could ‘go public’ in an identical manner, selling stock in themselves in return for sharing future earnings. Biggest problems with this are: a. indefinable, and therefore unacceptable risk to investors and b. disincentivizing target’s future performance, e.g., while wouldn’t NFL player Arian Foster(cited in article)be motivated to retire prematurely, with an extra $10MM cash upfront?

• Joe Dahlem says:

Love your newsletters and so many ideas. What about the model Andrew Lloyd Webber did with his production companies and going to the public his way. Looking back now what did we learn from that?

• jery says:

I love this idea! I would have to agree that Neil Patrick Harris and Hugh Jackman would be blue chippers. Kathleen Marshall and Sutton Foster would be the first people I’d buy stock in. And of course, I would buy a share in Ken Davenport.

• Mark says:

I would invest in J Smith Cameron, and Carole Healey.

• Alpha male traits are that you’d in no way identify an alpha male amazed with any individual accomplishments. They’re good superior achievers them selves also it needs a big work to thrill them that makes it alpha male attributes. Alpha male characteristics are he’ll make friendship with beta males but when an additional alpha male enter the league, they’d turn into enemy. To support the alpha male position he’d deal with a further to possess his dominant posture intact and would take advantage of the chance because it is among essentially the most major alpha male characteristics.

• whole of the UK but of course most of our work is in London .