Win $500 in the First Annual Davenport Songwriting Contest!
One of the most successful offline events we’ve run over the years is our 10 Minute Play Contest. I constantly get emails throughout the year asking when are we having it again (when winter’s cold hard spell has been lifted by the Good Witch of the spring). I think New and Established Writers alike love the deadline, the competition, and the heck-of-a-lot of fun we have on the night the finalists are performed for the celebrity judges and a live studio audience.
A week or so ago I got an email from a musical theater writer that was feeling neglected. “Hey Ken, what about a 10 Minute Musical Contest?” he asked.
Well, ok, I could do that . . . but technically musicals are eligible for the 10 minute play contest . . . and well, writing and presenting musicals are more involved, require more people and are just more dang difficult, and the intention of the 10 Minute Play Contest is to get writers writing and fast.
But . . . what about a songwriting contest!
Yeah, yeah, that’s it! Writing one song is easier. Faster. And less complicated for those finalists to present! And, since writing an entire musical can feel like running a marathon . . . twice . . . with bags of lead wrapped around your feet . . . perhaps thinking about writing just one song will get more people started. It’s like taking one step at a time, instead of trying to leap the whole staircase.
So, for all those reasons . . . and because the performance night will be a heck-of-a-lot-of-fun . . . I’m proud to introduce the the first annual Davenport Songwriting Contest!
Here are the details (which are very similar to the 10 Minute Play Contest).
- One Grand Prize Winner of $500!
- Nine other finalists will receive $50!
- Submissions must be original and not previously published, recorded, produced or been even thought of before this contest. The idea is to create something new . . . so no cheating. Producer’s Perspective Honor System enforced.
- Deadline for submission is January 3rd.
- Finalists will be announced on January 17th.
- Final concert performance of the 10 finalists on January 30th in front of a live audience and celebrity judges to crown the winner (the Audience will get a vote).
For the rest of the details and and to submit your song, click here.
To get your tickets for the show on the 30th, click here!
I look forward to hearing your tunes!
(Got a comment? I love ‘em, so comment below! Email Subscribers, click here then scroll down to say what’s on your mind!)
– Win Two Tickets to Hamlet and Two Tickets to Saint Joan. Click here to enter!
– Come to my 6th Annual Producer’s Perspective Social on 12/12! Click here to RSVP.
– Have you invested in a Broadway show? Take our Broadway Investor Survey by clicking here!
– Attend the How to Audition Workshop on 12/5. Only one participant spot and a few auditor spots are left! Click here to register.