What Broadway musical will NBC do next? You tell me.

rinse-repeat-broadwaySo, right after my blog about NBC’s Sound of Music went live, in which I predicted NBC would broadcast another Broadway musical in 2014, the network announced that it would do just that.

Coincidence?

Actually, yep.  Yep it was.

Because it didn’t take a bloggin’ brain surgeon to know that any network that got 18.5 million viewers on any show, would rinse and repeat the following year.  Read the article on the Hollywood Reporter here.

But what musical will they do?

And what musical should they do?

How about we take a little poll?  And I promise, I’ll forward the results on to NBC so your Producer’s Perspective voice can be heard.

Sound good?  So comment below two things, just like this:

What they will do:  NAME OF MUSICAL (e.g.  You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown, Fiorello, etc.)

What they should do:  NAME OF MUSICAL  (e.g.  Working, Via Galactica)

And of course, of course, I’ll publish the results here!  Ready, set, comment!

_ _

– Win tickets to see Cuff Me!  The Unauthorized 50 Shades of Grey Musical.  Click here.

– Win $500 in our Songwriting Contest!  Click here to enter.

– The next Broadway Investing seminar is coming up on January 18th.  Sign up today.

Comments
  • Aaron Deitsch says:

What they WILL do: The King and I (They’re going to keep it family friendly and classic plus they’ll get to cast plenty of kids which will motivate parents to allow their kids to stay up and watch it as well.
    What they SHOULD do: Aida (One of my favorite Broadway scores, it is family friendly, though not a classic and not as well-known so it will not be chosen)
    And I’m going to add a third:
    What I WISH they’d do: Spring Awakening (This is my favorite show, but they should definitely not do this as it is nowhere near family friendly and could never be broadcast on network television. HBO, however…)

• What they will do: The Music Man

What they should do: The Drowsy Chaperone

• Roger says:

Will do: PETER PAN starring Kellie Pickler
    Should do: PETER PAN starring Justin Bieber, or BARNUM starring Christian Borle

• Bobby says:

What they WILL do: Either one of the following: Peter Pan starring Cathy Rigby; The Music Man; or Oklahoma

What they SHOULD do: Mary Poppins; The Lion King; or Newsies

What I WISH they’d do: My Fair Lady or Camelot

• dave says:

Cathy Rugby as Peter Pan? What year is this 1991?

NBC WON’T be doing Mary Poppins, Lion King or Newsies. Those are all musicals owned by Disney, a corporation that also owns ABC, so don’t think we’ll see those shows on NBC!

• Scott says:

With all the dance and singing shows on the networks these days, and the popularity of shows like Glee with a younger crowd, I think they should do, “In The Heights”. It would be easy to move from set to set, the dancing would be amazing, young people could show off their voices and it is just a fun show! I think it would be better than a movie. I vote, “In The Heights”.

• Matt Windman says:

What they will do – Oliver!

What they should do – How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying or Promises, Promises

I am open to a staging of ANY worthwhile musical, so long as it is done well. But given the likelihood that Rob Ashford will again serve as the theatrical director of the live staging, I think it would make sense for him to adapt his recent Broadway revivals of “Promises, Promises” or “How to Succeed” for television.

• cdthomas says:

What they WILL do:
    You’re A Good Man, Charlie Brown — a lead-pipe cinch to get the Prudential in as a marquee sponsor, for a show with limited commercial interruptions (desperately needed).

What they SHOULD do:
    The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T. It has ten more songs recorded not heard in the film, and already has a Broadway version by Glen Roven in development, though I don’t know how far it went.

And wouldn’t you stay home to see Christian Borle swan through “A Do-Si-Do Day”?

• David Merrick Jr says:

Will Do: THE KING AND I

Should Do: RACHEL LILY ROSENBLOOM AND DON’T YOU EVER FORGET IT

• Laura K says:

My mom says:

“They should do something with Hugh Jackman – Music Man or South Pacific.

If not that, Amy Pohler should play Ado Annie in Oklahoma or Annie Get Your Gun.”

She’s right on both counts!

• Danny says:

What they will do: My Fair Lady
    What they should do: A Day in Hollywood/A Night in the Ukraine

• Michael says:

What they will do: Peter Pan or Grease

What they should do: The Music Man or Hello, Dolly!

• Michael C. says:

What they will do: THE WIZARD OF OZ or SOUTH PACIFIC

What they should do: GUYS/DOLLS or JERSEY BOYS

• Chris says:

WILL DO: I can very easily see them producing Mame, My Fair Lady or Oliver – an old chestnut that puts butts in seats.

SHOULD DO: She Loves Me.

• neil says:

My gosh! Read my mind! Thought I was the only onw who could even whisper the words “She Loves Me.” Will never happen, though: Don’t think America is ready for a 25-song score. (They’re singing too much!)

• Ben says:

They should do The Music Man, and this time they should stick to leads that have experience in theater as well as music, movies, etc.

• LARRY ABRAMSKY says:

WHAT THEY WILL DO: BEAUTY & THE BEAST, OR PETER PAN, OR THE MUSIC MAN

RATINGS MAGIC: ANYTHING WITH HUGH JACKMAN IN IT.

WHAT THEY SHOULD DO: GYPSY (WITH BARBRA STREISAND), FUNNY GIRL – (WITH LEA MICHELLE), A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THE FORUM (WITH NATHAN LANE & MATTHEW BRODERICK),

• Heather says:

What they will do: something that’s already been done that they know people will like, like Phantom or South Pacific.
    What they should do: something not made before on DVD-Next To Normal, In The Heights,Book of Mormon, Wicked…it’s time to start drawing more people to shows they may have never heard of or couldn’t see. The only way to draw an audience and hook them on more current shows is to make it available to a wider audience.

• Owen Leonard says:

Will do: petter pan

Should do: marry poppins broadway version

• Andy says:

West Side Story
    West Side Story

• Sue says:

What they will do: South Pacific

What they should do: Rent

What ABC will do: Mary Poppins
    What CBS will do: Oliver
    What Warner Brother will do: The Wizard of Oz
    What HBO will do: Sopranos, the musical
    What OWN will do: The Color Purple, the musical

Live broadcast musicals –It’s the new reality show!! Anything live that gets people tweeting is hot hot hot.

• Tim Donahue says:

Will do: Fiddler on the Roof

Should do: She Loves Me

• Eddie says:

Will/should: I have two thoughts,
    1. Mame: We need a Little Christmas, the film version is less than stellar, great score and great roles for women.
    2. Meet Me in St. Louis: great for Christmas, good score, I’d love to see the trolley song live!

• Tanya says:

Will do: Oklahoma
    Should do: Jekyll and Hyde or Wicked

• Steve says:

They should do Mame, it’s perfect for the season (assuming the same schedule as this year) and if they can find a star, it can be everything they could hope for (also the movie was so bad, no one will have the complaints they have with The Sound of Music).

• Brian says:

They will probably do a show where like everyone is saying should be a family show. But also being the 2nd year they’re doing this, they would have to up the stakes a little bit and do a more challenging show. So let’s see…..

What they probably will do:
    The King and I, Music Man, Funny Girl (with Barbara or Lea Michele) or My Fair Lady

What they should do:
    !!!Singin’ In the Rain!!! (With Hugh Jackman, Neil Patrick Harris, and Sutton Foster)

• What they will do: Annie

What they should do: How to Succeed In Business Without Really Trying with Daniel Radcliffe and John Larroquette

• Douglas Braverman says:

What they will do: MY FAIR LADY
    What they should do: NAKED BOYS SINGING

• Margie Goldsmith says:

What they WILL do: Peter Pan (because it’s kid-friendly and the music is so well known).

What they SHOULD do: Fiorella

• Kelly Swindell says:

What they will do: Pippin or Music Man or My Fair Lady

What they should do: A Chorus Line or the bilingual West Side Story

What they really should do: perform with a live audience AND better casting

• Greg Harris says:

What they will do: The Music Man (please, God, no)

What they should do: GYPSY, GUYS and DOLLS, HELLO
    DOLLY, THE WIZ

• Josh says:

Will do: Peter Pan (Beiber or some other pop star who can fake the acting, the wire work is all that matters). The real coup will be if they can get Hugh Jackman as Hook.
    Should do: Les Miz or Evita (to show those who made the film versions how it should be done.)

• Warren says:

Will do: Peter Pan (blech), with Smuckers as main sponsor.

Should do: My Fair Lady, with Virgin Atlantic as main sponsor.

Won’t do: Man of La Mancha because the home schooling parents won’t let their kids watch while they are eating Chick-fil-a.

• Art Fidler says:

BARNUM

• What they will do: Fiddler on the Roof (50th anniversary of the original production). I wouldn’t have any trouble with that at all, and it’s very family-friendly.

What they should do: I’d like to see A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, maybe with Zach Galifianakis as Pseudolus and Ben Stiller as Hysterium, and maybe Barbra as Domina. Richard Lester’s movie version was overblown and self-indulgent, with half of Sondheim’s score missing. This version could be a sort of redemption, and a television production would even enhance it—especially with a studio audience. It really is a two-hour situation comedy with music and only one set. Heck, one of the authors, Larry Gelbart, created M*A*S*H and otherwise had a huge career in TV.

Ideally, NBC shouldn’t limit its live musicals to one a year. After these ratings, they should realize they’re onto something and schedule one during each sweeps period. She Loves Me would be great on February 14, and Sweet Charity would be fun in May. Further down the road, I’d love to see a really opulent production of Follies.

• Ray Quirolgico says:

What they will do: Hairspray or Little Shop of Horrors or South Pacific or Oklahoma (with Hugh Jackman, please?!??)

What they should do: A Chorus Line or American Idiot (something edgy and with no intermission)

• Peter Saxe says:

What they SHOULD DO:
    1) Mame (large cast, lots of smaller roles)
    2) Annie (lots of kids.. they could do a reality show to cast the kids)
    3) Oliver (again, reality show)
    4) Camelot (Hugh Jackman as Arthur, Anne Hathaway as Jenny, Alan Cumming or Daniel Radcliffe as Mordred)

What they WON’T DO:
    1)Fiddler (Too many anti-semites out there)
    2)Any Disney connected property = ABC
    3) Anything too available on video (Oklahoma, Music Man, Peter Pan)

What they SHOULDN’T DO:
    1) The King and I (love it, but too stately, polygamy won’t play)

What I HOPE they’d do:
    1) The Wiz (multi-ethnic casting)
    2) La Cage (I can dream)

• Keni Fine says:

Will do: South Pacific
    Should do: Rocky Horror Picture Show

• Michael DiGaetano says:

I’m afraid if they do King and I, following the tradition of Carrie Underwood, they might have William Hung play the King

• Elise says:

They will do The Music Man
    They should do Ragtime

• Kevin says:

Will probably do Gypsy. Would love that, or Bye Bye Birdie…it’s youth oriented…two love stories…tuneful Charles Strouse score…and a great opportunity for an Elvis(like) impression.

• George says:

Now the question – what’s next???

Here’s my take:

“Grease”

Like Reidel said – been done – failed.

“Fiddler”

Hate to say it – for Middle America – too Jewish. I’ll bet that IF one tallied up the musicals performed by regional theatre companies, “Fiddler” would be near the bottom (and “The Rotheschilds” is in my personal Top Five)

“Oliver”

As this is the show I am pitching now… I would say this is the one (out of those three) but there is one problem here “Ron Moody” set the highwater mark for “Fagin” and anyone who would try to do that role would be compared to Ron’s “Fagin” – even more than Carrie was being compared to Julie Andrews – if only because the charactization is SO STRONG SO DEFINITIVE SO LOCKED INTO PEOPLE’s cinematic memories…

Hey it’s quite possible that Carrie Underwood brought in a whole NEW fan base that has never seen Julia Andrews – so they had no preconceive notions of what the role could be played like… and some, as above, may prefer it… Hey it’s THEATRE! Not Baseball/Football or Basketball.

I am just saying that had better be prepared for criticism when they take on a role that another actor has stamped is a very significant way.

Thinking… thinking…

• George says:

You know – there are a dozen musicals I would like to see – 1776 on the 4th of July is probably TOP on my List and THAT would appeal to the Middle America out of which Carrie’s fanbase strayed from Country 101

But I think this event proved that it was NOT the “musical” but the fact that Carrie took it on…

So the REAL question is what Country/Rap/Rock Star should be cast in some specific musical so that the Live Event cold maximize the tune in???

Hey, how about Sting in “Three Penney Opera…” Oh wait – he did that and it SUCKED! Sting can not sing LIVE music that isn’t written specifically for his limited range… and having Maureen McGovern sing rings around him didn’t help!

Katy Perry singing… “My Fair Lady” with Hugh Jackman singing “Prof Higgs”… and Justine Beaver singing “Freddie”

Okay – maybe that would be to expensive…

Katy Perry singing the lead in “The Unsinkable Molly Brown” and restage the sinking of the Titantic!

g

• Lauren says:

What they will do: South Pacific

What they should do: Wicked (but please don’t ruin Elphaba and Glinda with casting)

What I dream of them doing: In the Heights, Next to Normal, Hair, Spring Awakening

• Lois Jacobs says:

Would love to see Mame or Peter Pan.
    Mame is in need of a good production.
    Peter Pan is so kid friendly and would be ready for a new Peter.

Isn’t My Fair Lady getting a new production?

• Becca S says:

What they will do: Gypsy with someone like Barbra Streisand (or another Sondheim)

What they should do: HAIR

what I wish they had done: Carrie Underwood as Annie Oakley opinion “Annie Get Your Gun” or Nellie in “South Pacific” – much better for her voice than R&H!

• Rich Mc says:

Daniel Radcliffe as Jimmy
    Anne Hathaway as Miss Dorothy Brown
    Mary Testa as Ms. Flannery
    with cameo appearances by
    Julie Andrews, Mary Tyler Moore, Carol Channing

• James Lithgow says:

I wonder what the demographics were for “The Sound of Music”? How many kids watched, for example? If they are looking to draw in a family audience, “Oliver” is the one, but rights might be an issue. Aren’t they owned by Cameron McIntosh or Really Useful?

“The King and I” is a great introduction to musical theatre for those audiences who have never watched much beyond high school productions, but perhaps something like “The Secret Garden” is ideally child friendly, and the singing roles are challenging for the leads. Jackman could nail that one.

I do love the idea of Jackman and Anne Hathaway in “Camelot”, but it would need a really splendid Lancelot. Only one child in the show, though!

Let’s face it; it’s probably going to be a big, well-known musical that they choose, but PLEASE, PLEASE not “Grease”. That’s been flogged to death at every high school across the globe.

So my ultimate choice? “Ragtime”. Great story, great roles, cuts across the ethnic divide, terrific music and lots of excitement.

• Clair Sedore says:

there are two great British musicals which have basically not seen the light of day here, Robert and Elizabeth, a great score, and of course a great story of the Brownings, the other Gone With the Wind, which had a brief stance in L.A., but died there before reaching the great white way….I went three times in a week in London to the Drury Lane, and got to see Harve Presnell as Rhett and June Ritchie as Scarlett….opening night had people dressed as confederate soldiers lining the entrance to the theatre, quite fantastic, horse on stage, Atlanta burning etc

• gjc says:

What they will do: Annie

What they Should(n’t)/might do: OKLAHOMA starring Miley Cyrus in the dual roles of Laurie/Ado Annie the same way she doubled up in Hannah Montana??

• Dave says:

Will do: Jersey Boys

Should do: Barnum

Wish they’d do: Into The Woods

• Gabbi Hanes says:

What they will do: Probably something R&H, like The King and I or The Music Man. They might also do, like, Guys and Dolls or West Side Story.

What they should do: My first choice would be Ragtime. It’s a truly beautiful musical. Some other ideas that I think could be semi-enjoyable are Brigadoon, Mary Poppins, Sister Act (more nuns!), Billy Elliot or Cinderella.

WAIT! The coolest idea of all: What if they did The Mystery of Edwin Drood and there was a way for at-home viewers to vote on the ending (online or something), just like you could do at the live show.

• EllenFD says:

Will do: Either THE MUSIC MAN or OLIVER!

Should do: MY FAIR LADY with Hugh Jackman.

• Joseph Giglio says:

What they will do: My Fair Lady

What they should do: Chicago

• Mary M. says:

Will do:
    Funny Girl with Lea Michelle

Camelot- a classic crowd pleaser like The Sound of Music

South Pacific – time for a TV update after the superb stage show with Kelli O’Hara & Paulo Szot

Should do: I would be thrilled with any of the above 🙂

• Christina says:

What they will do: Annie (assuming it’ll be another Christmas-time special)

What they should do: My Fair Lady (please, please, pretty please)

• Mary McCann says:

Will do: “Grease”

Should do: “Rent”

• Ed says:

What they will do: Oklahoma or Wicked

What they should do (What I want to see) : In the Heights

What someone should do-a stage version of The Commitments (I’ve had this thought for a long time and though its somewhat off topic I just wanted to say it out loud)

• Lonnie Cooper says:

Will do – GUYS AND DOLLS or KING AND I

Should do – MOST HAPPY FELLA

• Alex Bishop says:

What will they do: West Side Story

What should they do: Spring Awakening

• Jay says:

I’m guessing they’ll produce FIDDLER but my recommendation would be for ANNIE GET YOUR GUN starring Kelly Clarkson. This would make up for the loss of a tv production starring Reba McIntire which should have happened. Reba happens to be one of Kelly’s role models and mentors so I’m sure she could give her some tips.

• eva says:

Agree with Gabbi Hanes and some good very good suggestions made.They already did Gypsy with Bette,Bye Bye Birdie with Jason Alexander,South Pacific with Glenn Close and Music Man with Matthew Broderick (I know they weren’t live but they were filmed for TV.)Please not another Annie or Grease.
    Will do:Cats-Everybody loves animals.
    Should do: The Scottsboro Boys, Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson, Lysistrata Jones, James Joyce’s The Dead,Mack and Mabel,Follies (Any Sondheim for that matter.)A girl can dream.
    Suggested celebrities who haven’t been mentioned that can act and sing and have pop culture appeal: Amber Riley (Just won DWTS)
    Whoopi Goldberg,Jenifer Hudson

• What they should do: “Wicked”
    What the will do: “Oliver!”
    Doubt they will do Wicked, still so successful on Bdway, too soon for a tv production…but hope springs eternal.
    Remember over the past 15 years or so, we have seen made for tv productions of Bye Bye Birdie, Cinderella, Annie, The Music Man, and let’s not forget PBS’s recent “South Pacific?”
    Imagine the casting they can do for “Oliver!” — such juicy parts, they will surely pull in some big names to boost it all up.

• ECP says:

Will do FUNNY GIRL.
    Should do ONCE ON THIS ISLAND.
    Though I would def watch the Will do.

• Robert Elhai says:

Has anyone else noticed the conspicuous absence of our greatest living composer-lyricist in this list? (with apologies to eva, who said, “Any Sondheim for that matter”)

• Emily says:

What they will do: Oliver!

What they should do: Chicago

• Matt Noel says:

What they Should Do: West Side Story or Fiddler on the Roof

What they will Do: Music Man or My Fair Lady

• Eric A says:

WILL DO: Music Man, Singin’ in the Rain, Annie

SHOULD DO: Drowsy Chaperone (and I’m glad at least one other person on this thread thought so too…), Ragtime, Gypsy

WISH THEY’D DO: Matilda, Caroline or Change

• Richard Thomas says:

I’m going to go with what they WILL do as: SOUTH PACIFIC or FIDDLER ON THE ROOF

And, hmmm, what they SHOULD do? I think CURTAINS would be an interesting choice!

• Erin says:

WILL DO: Cinderella, Music Man, or Wizard of Oz

SHOULD DO: Lion King (using the voice actors from the movie…Nathan Lane, Matthew Broderick, JTT, Whoopie Goldberg, etc. How fun would that be?!)

• Jay Z says:

Will do: I’ll jump on the PETER PAN bandwagon

Should do: Something they can make fresh and take advantage of the live aspect —
    THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD
    — with live tweeting/voting for the ending.

• patricia shenofsky says:

WILL DO Grease; SHOULD do The Music Man.

• Fran says:

What they’ll do: Annie
    Lots of kids, patriotic, shows rich people in a good light during a depression.

What they should do: Todd Almond’s musical adaptation of The Tempest that ran for only one weekend at Shakespeare in the Park this summer. It blew me away; was one of the most exciting evenings of theatre I’ve seen in a long time.

But it had a cast of over 200, so cost-prohibitive for moving/long run, etc. But, a one night special that people could record and savor forever, GREAT!

It was really, really special and deserves to be shared nationwide.

• Drama Teacher says:

What they will do: Carousel
    What they should do: Damn Yankees

• Drama Teacher says:

What they won’t be doing: Gypsy, Bye Bye Birdie, Annie, Cinderella, Music Man. They were all done by ABC within the last…oh, 20 years. Okay, Gypsy might be fair game.

• Randy Zeese says:

Will Do: Hello Dolly! (Another 50th Anniversary Classic)
    Should Do: Jersey Boys (Drawing from multiple generations)

• Ron Katz says:

What will they do: South Pacific or Music Man
    Should they do: Man of LaMancha

But they’ll take the safe road.

• Brian Jones says:

What they will do: Hello, Dolly!
    What they should do: Jesus Christ Superstar (maybe around Easter and Passover)

• Beth Doucette says:

They will do ‘How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying’ or perhaps ‘Annie’. They should do ‘Wicked’, ‘Dream Girls’, ‘Driving Miss Daisy’ and (my personal favorite) ‘Godspell’.

• Daniel says:

As much as I’d love to see them doing Annie (with the same adult cast from 1999 but the original book), the Quvenzhane Wallis version is due out in Dec ’14, so that’s a no go.

The only holiday-appropriate Sondheim is Into the Woods, again, coming out in cinemas some time during 2014.

I can see them doing Bye Bye Birdie with Hugh Jackman as Albert, Anna Kendrick as Kim, Adam Lambert as Conrad and Tyne Daly back as Mae, although I’m not sure who’s the right age and ethnicity to take on Rose (given that she’ll need to be able to sing and dance really well).

I’d die if they did Singin’ in the Rain with Hugh, Neil Patrick Harris and Lauren Ambrose. Wouldn’t Kristin Chenoweth make a hysterical Lina Lamont?

Speaking of Lauren Ambrose, it’d be great to see her finally get to do Funny Girl, although Lea Michele is probably a more bankable prospect.

If she’s available, Meryl Streep as Mame is a pretty good prospect, too. I think it’d be good to see her warmer side.

• Jeff R. says:

Will do: GREASE with Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift

Should do: THE MUSIC MAN with Hugh Jackman

• Heather A. says:

What they will do: Evita(with Ricky Martin, Elena Roger and Michael Cerveris). This is the most recent cast from Broadway and you already have a name in Martin. Plus the sets are easy.

What they should do: Evita, Les Miserables, Grease

What ABC will do: Film Aladdin on Broadway when it opens in February and do a 1 night airing between Super Bowl and Oscars

• Mark says:

Cher as Mame with Bebe Neuwirth as Vera Charles.

• Alan B. says:

Barbra Streisand playing Mamma Rose in Gypsy
    Barbra Streisand playing Momma Rose in Gypsy

• Justin Rayna says:

My vote is for In the Heights!!

• tickets says:

Hey there, You’ve done a great job. I’ll certainly digg it and personally recommend to
    my friends. I’m confident they will be benefited
    from this website.

• Thank you for the good writeup. It in fact was once a enjoyment account it. Glance advanced to far delivered agreeable from you! By the way, how could we keep up a correspondence?

• whole of the UK but of course most of our work is in London .

• A escalating recognition plus requirement with regard to Ray Ban sunglasses across the world consists of instigated handful of con artists to create phony solutions. In that trouble distinguishing