Managing Director – New York Theatre Barn
WHO: NY Theatre Barn
POSITION: Managing Director
DESCRIPTION: New York Theatre Barn is seeking a Managing Director. New York Theatre Barn (NYTB) is a non-profit theatre company dedicated to developing and producing new musicals that tell untold stories while innovating and practicing artistic process. New York Theatre Barn partners with writers to collaboratively innovate the most effective and authentic way to develop and share their work, with an eye toward production or fostering and navigating it in the right direction. We are primarily drawn to stories that challenge traditional musical theatre subject matters, and that forge new forms through experimentation and collaboration. The projects that NYTB produces to full production often include themes rooted in current events and history that reflect our diverse world.
NYTB brings communities together through the development and production of new work, revealing political and social truths about humanity, society, and our ever-expanding global community. The core of NYTB’s unique developmental process is a monthly platform for new work and emerging musical theatre writers called NYTB IN THE D-LOUNGE. Now in its 7th year at the Daryl Roth Theatre, the series provides a community for artists to discover and grow within their art form.
Duties and responsibilities of the Managing Director are as follows:The New York Theatre Barn, now in its 8th year of operation, is seeking a dynamic individual to join its leadership team in the role of Managing Director. This new position marks a significant stride in the strategic growth of our critically acclaimed company. The MD will report to the Board of Directors and share leadership of the daily operations of the company with the Artistic Director, Joe Barros. These two positions receive support from, and provide management for 2-3 additional staff members.
Currently, all NYTB staff positions are volunteer roles, with the opportunity for project-based stipends when appropriate. The MD’s responsibilities include:
• Managing the financial functions of the company, including the NYTB credit/savings/checking accounts and working with the Treasurer to prepare monthly financial reports for the Board of Directors,
• Creating and implementing a strategic fundraising and communications plan for the company as we enter into a new phase of growth,
• Partnering with the Artistic Director and working with the Board to embark on productions that advance the mission and profile of the company,
• Working with the Executive Committee of the Board of Directors to plan six board meetings per year and help to keep the Board Committees moving on assigned projects,
• Providing guidance and project management for all production efforts of the company, including the monthly NYTB in the DLounge Series (which showcases new musical writing talent and works), our annual fundraiser, fully produced works, development workshops and readings, and productions.
• Supervising the volunteer staff.
A modest monthly stipend is available for this position.
To Apply: To be considered for this position please send your cover letter, resume and two references that we can call to email@example.com