In Today’s Marketing Market, You’ve got to Find a Way to be Faster. Part I

One of Tuesday more fascinating panels at the Broadway League Conference was one entitled, Equip Your Army; Why Content is King, and featured a troop of social media experts from YouTube, Giphy,  BuzzFeed, and more.

One of the biggest takeaways I got from the panel was a simple one:

To stand out in the social space, you’ve got to be speedy.

Your audience tweets you a kudos or a complaint, you can’t wait a day to get back to them.  You’ve got to find a way to respond right away.

Think about it this way.  Social media is SOCIAL by nature.  You have “friends.”  Imagine if a friend of yours came up to you, slapped you on the back and said, “It was great seeing you the other day at So-And-So’s birthday party.  Boy did we have fun.  Look forward to doing it again!”

And then you said nothing.  Zippo.  You just went about your business and left your friend hanging there with a compliment dripping from his open mouth.

Odds are he won’t compliment you again to your face, or behind your back.

Or imagine that same friend saying, “Dude.  My feelings were really hurt at So-And-So’s birthday party.  You didn’t talk to me all night and I heard you were making fun of my new Hawaiian shirt.  What’s up with that?”

And you don’t respond.

Now here’s the scary part.  When someone doesn’t listen to someone’s complaint, they complain louder until someone, anyone, does.  So odds are, they’ll trash you again to your face, and behind your back.

Twenty years ago, people didn’t have a way to compliment or complain as quickly as they do now.  Maybe they wrote you a letter.  Maybe.

And you didn’t have a way to respond.  Maybe you responded with a letter.  But most likely you didn’t.  And either the customer, or the potential advocate just went away.

Today, for better or for better (!), you must not only respond when your audience speaks up, you must respond fast.

But speedy social and traditional marketing response doesn’t just end with compliments and complaints.  A quick Twitter trigger finger could have you reaching a brand new audience.

See tomorrow’s post to see how.

– – – –

– Win a $500 Telecharge Gift Card!   Enter my Tony Awards Pool here! Click here

– Win two tickets to see 50 Shades: The Musical!  Click here.

– Need help raising money?  Who doesn’t.  Take my How To Raise Money seminar and raise more money faster.  Guaranteed.  Register today.

-BroadwaySpotted’s Next Big Star live contest is on May 22ndClick here to get your tickets!

Comments
  • David Merrick Jr says:

Just finished reading this and felt compelled to respond IMMEDIATELY!!!!

• Polo says:

This was perfected by Paul Begala and James Carville during the Clinton Administration. They called it the War Room and it was their mission to quickly respond to whatever came up. With Twitter and Facebook it all happens much faster. Our brains are evolving faster than our smarts.

• DES says:

From the audience member perspective, it is a pleasure to have an simple way to say “I loved your show.” Even just getting “favorited” and “retweeted” is an appreciated response.
      Currently, AGLAM’s social media team is also doing a great job with clever responses.

• senorvoce says:

Fast risks superficiality. Fast is a bot or a service. Not very social at all.

• Terrence Cranert says:

After attending your Getting Your Show Off the Ground seminar we are now presenting The Lincolns of Springfield as a staged reading on June 14 at 2pm at Ripley-Grier Studios. Thanks for all your sage advice. If content is King, we have a Smash. Hope you can be there.

• Lynn Manuell says:

I find this really interesting as I have been experiencing quite a lot of what I call the LA Syndrome in NYC. No one will say “no” or “this is where I am with this” so they ignore you. I requested an autograph for a special needs child from a company manager with a company I worked with many years ago. These are people I like and respect and I have never asked for anything since 1990 when we worked together. While the magazine to be autographed was taken, I have not gotten it back. I call and get voice mail and I really am willing to go hang with the teens if I have to, but didn’t think I would have to given my relationship with the company. I am in the business and may someday need to hire people to work on a show. I understand this actor is very approachable and would most likely do this, but I would love someone to say if it is a no or if it will take such and such time. As a company manager I found no matter what was going on if people were informed and treated with respect they would work with you. I hope people pay attention to this column. It only makes sense in a world of relationships to keep them respectful and to just be clear and concise.

• Lynn Manuell says:

Very happy to say that the wish I expressed was fulfilled and the communication was given and a very happy young person will be the result. Thanks Ken for sharing with everyone the highlights of the League conferences. It is really helpful.