My Top 10 Broadway Predictions for 2015.

We’re a day into the New Year . . . only 364 days to go until the ball drops and turns us sweet 2016!

And oh so much can happen in that year!  It’s just full of unknown possibilities!  There are a couple of sure things, though.  First, The Lion King will still be running.  And second, something totally unexpected will happen that will surprise us all.  That’s what’s so exciting about what we do.  You just never know.

That said, I like to think I know . . . which is why I’ve made ten predictions that may befall Broadway over the next year.  Wanna hear ’em?  Well, here we go.

In the year 2015 . . .

1. A brand new Broadway theater will be announced as coming soon.  It may take 10 years to build, but we’ll know what it is within the next year.
  2. A long running hit Broadway musical will be filmed and shown in movie theaters all over the country.  And others will follow in 2016.
  3. The majority of Broadway shows will announce an exchange policy similar to Disney’s.
  4. Costume Characters in Times Square will be regulated.
  5. In addition to NBC, at least two other major networks will announce Broadway musical live telecasts.
  6. The norm price for an orchestra ticket for a big musical will be $150+.
  7. We’ll break the Broadway gross and attendance records by the end of this season, but then the numbers will fall going into next season.
  8. Times Square construction will finally be completed.
  9. We’ll lose one of our legends that helped build Broadway as we know it.
  10. Jimmy Fallon will host the Tony Awards.

There you have it.  My 10 2015 Predictions (and if only one of them comes true, I hope it’s #10 – please let it be #10).  To find out how many of these come true, you’ll have to check back in one year from today.  Because . . . oh, I guess I’ve got one more bonus prediction for 2016 . . .

11.  I will still be blogging.

What about you?  Got any predictions for 2015?  Come up with one and put it in the comments below.  It’ll be fun!

(Got a comment? I love ‘em, so comment below! Email Subscribers, click here then scroll down to say what’s on your mind!)

– Win 2 tickets to see It’s Only A Play on Broadway! Click here.

– This year’s seminars list is up.  Check out the new dates here.

Comments
  • Ilene Argento says:

I will find and be busy with my ‘dream job,’ and be wondering what took me SO LONG to get out of the Legal field and back into something creative!!!

• Sue Cohen says:

I will have landed my dream job of working for a Broadway producer or production company. Will post again next year and tell you where I’m working. Bring it!!

• Lynn Anderson says:

You forgot one – “Somewhere In Time: The Musical” will premiere on Broadway!

• Michael says:

Zero chance that #10 comes true. No way CBS allows it. James Corden on the other hand could be a possibility.

• Janis says:

If you’re still blogging, we’ll still be reading and commenting.

Onward!

• There’s something due any day,
    I will know right away,
    Soon as it shows!

• Jed says:

Gotta disagree about the Jimmy Fallon. I don’t get it. He just seems like a very tall amateur that some how made it.

• Richard Seff says:

You forgot one prediction for 2015. SHINE! the Alger Musical will arrive, I’m certain of that. Producers have begun to show interest, and two regional theatres are about to join the fun. Stay tuned, and always remember that you were offered it first. America is now ready to be Algerized. Good luck to you, and to all of us for a plethora of new, original (not based on an old movie, or a songbook, and not a revival) fun and tune filled musicals. I love your blogs and hope one day you will write about us. Richard Seff

• Dan Kochanowicz says:

My 2015 prediction: a revival of ANYONE CAN WHISTLE will be announced.

• Brian P says:

I predict that in 2015 I’ll finally win one of your giveaways

• Melissa Bell says:

The Nederlanders will buy Roseland Ballroom and produce an immersive musical.

• Megan says:

Hi Ken! Just wondering if you could shed some light about Godspell Cast of 2032 and how you came up with that idea? It sounds so creative and I want to know more about it! Maybe that could be a rainy day post…

• Sara says:

Welcome to 2015, where people forget what satire is…

• Eric Goldman says:

I can see a $150 list price for a big Broadway musical, but with the typical discounting it will be the rare show that actually gets that price. And that same rare show will actually be able to charge much more than that for premium seating!

As for filming shows for exhibition in movie theaters, my prediction is that a Broadway show will be simulcast in movie theaters, but not actually filmed.

And yes, regulate the crap out of those Times Square characters!

• DrMike says:

I predict all Times Square Characters will become Olaf.