Podcast Episode #7 – All about The Roundabout with Artistic Director, Todd Haimes.
Everyone on the commercial side of the industry thinks the non-profits have it so easy. They can take donations, stars will work for scale, and so on. I had a feeling there was another side to this story, which is why for Episode #7, I went to the King of all Non-Profits, Mr. Todd Haimes, the Artistic Director of arguably one of the most powerful non-profit theaters in the world, the Roundabout Theatre Company.
How did it get to the top o’ the heap?
It was under Todd’s leadership that the theater emerged from bankruptcy, acquired three (!) Broadway houses, and expanded its mission to produce classic musicals which eventually yielded productions like Cabaret with Alan Cumming.
So how did this all happen? You’ll find out on this week’s podcast, where Todd tells me . . .
- Why he’s an Artistic Director that doesn’t direct.
- The three seminal moments that made Roundabout what it is today.
- How Roundabout almost went bust . . . more than once, and how his gut turned it around.
- Why never having a “master plan” was the best plan anyone could ever make.
- Why he hates premium pricing.
After listening to this podcast, you’ll not only realize how challenging it is running a non-pro in this city, but you’ll also realize how lucky the Roundabout is . . . and how lucky the theater is . . . to have Todd in charge.
Click here to listen.
Click here to listen and subscribe on iTunes.
Download it here.
(Got a comment? I love ‘em, so comment below! Email Subscribers, click here then scroll down to say what’s on your mind!)
– – – – –
– Win a ticket to TEDxBroadway and tell the world how you’d make Broadway better! Click here.
– Need help Getting Your Show Off the Ground? Come to my seminar on March 14th! Click here.