Podcast Episode #9 – The view from a theater owner’s office: a candid chat with Jordan Roth.
You probably think you know what theater owners do.
It’s in their moniker – they just own theaters, right? So all they do is sit atop their perch and decide what shows to let occupy their landmarked buildings and then have lunch at Sardi’s as the rent rolls in.
I guess they could do that. But none of the theater owners I know do. With great power comes great responsibility. Theater owners are the curators of Broadway. They are the protectors of the tradition. They guarantee all of our futures.
And Jordan Roth, President of Jujamcyn Theaters, takes that responsibility seriously.
If you think you know what theater owners do, then you’ve got to listen to today’s podcast with Jordan, the youngest of the theater owners (or as I refer to him, “the first theater owner with a Facebook page”). Jordan’s reign will be long, and as evidenced by everything he’s already done, it’s going to be historic. Listen in to hear . . .
- Jordan’s “three bucket challenge” if you want a show in one of his theaters (which seems to be working well, since four of the five Jujamcyn theaters host Tony Award winners for Best Musical).
- How coming out affected his choice of a career.
- How his first show as a Producer, the interactive The Donkey Show, still stays with him in everything he does.
- His simple solution for one of Broadway’s greatest challenges – the lines at the bathroom.
It’s always a treat to get an audience with a theater owner, and I’m so thankful that Jordan sat down with me so you can share in that experience. But as you’ll hear, Jordan cares more about the audience than anything. And that’s why I know we’re in very good hands.
Listen in . . .
Listen to it here.
Listen to it on iTunes here. (And give me a rating, while you’re there!)
Download it here.
(Got a comment? I love ‘em, so comment below! Email Subscribers, click here then scroll down to say what’s on your mind!)
– – – – –
– Win $500 in our Songwriting Contest! Click here to enter.
– Need help Getting Your Show Off the Ground? Come to my seminar on March 14th! Click here.
– Win a signed copy of the Side Show revival cast album. Click here.