My reaction to the 2015 Tony Nominations. And how I did with my predictions.

Whew. The 2015 Tony Nominations are finally out.  Everyone can breathe now.

Well, everyone can breathe unless you’re in Harvey Weinstein’s office.  Those guys and gals might want to consider taking the day off from work.  Or leaving the country.

More on that later.  Let’s start with how I did on my predictions!

1.  BEST MUSICAL

2015 Tony Nominees:  An American in Paris, Fun Home, Something Rotten!, The Visit

I nailed all of these.

Obviously the biggest snub was Harvey’s Finding Neverland. Did it deserve to be snubbed?  Was it backlash?  Did the number they did on last year’s Tonys put a bad taste in the nominators’ mouths?  Does the lack of noms hurt the show even though it’s doing over $1mm a week?  One thing is for sure, Harvey is a genius producer, entrepreneur, lobbyist and scrapper.  It’ll be fun and educational to see how he promotes the show now.

Oh, and P.S.  Yay for The Visit!!!  🙂

2.  BEST PLAY

2015 Tony Nominees:  Disgraced, Hand to God, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, Wolf Hall Parts One & Two

I got three out of four here, and honestly?  I just screwed up.  How did I think that the Queen in The Audience would trump the Pulitzer Prize winning Disgraced?  I should have known that the nominators would give the credit to Helen for the success of The Audience and nominate her (which they did), and give the Tony nom to the challenging play about Islamophobia.

3.  BEST REVIVAL OF A MUSICAL

2015 Nominees:  On the Town, On the Twentieth Century, The King and I

Those tricky nominators got me again here by only nominating three instead of four shows!  (I got the above three right, but predicted Side Show would sneak in as the fourth slot.)  I forgot about the little known Tony rule that says if there are only five eligible shows, then there will only be three nominees unless a fourth is within three votes of the others.  I’m not sure how I feel about this rule, to be honest.  I like the idea of it focusing on excellence, but at the same time, would it hurt to have a fourth?  I’d probably amend this rule to say that unless the fourth show got zero votes, there would always be four.

4.  BEST REVIVAL OF A PLAY

2015 Nominees:  Skylight, The Elephant Man, This is Our Youth, You Can’t Take It With You

Boo.  I got three out of four right here.  The nominators chose to nominate the fall production of This Is Our Youth rather than the still running and still crackin’ people up production, It’s Only A Play.  Honestly, I think we got penalized for being such a big commercial hit.  I guess there are worse things that could have happened.  🙂

So overall, I scored an 81% or a B-.  Poop.  I should do better than that.  How did you do?

What did I think about the other nominations?  I was super excited for Micah Stock’s nom for It’s Only A Play and I want that guy to take it all the way!  And man, having three of the five ladies in the Best Featured Actress in a musical race from the same show (Fun Home) has to be a record.  That’s going to make some interesting backstage conversation over the next month.  I loved that all four Best Musical noms were American born and bred, even if two of the Best Plays were from the British non-profit system.  I was thrilled that my Gettin’ The Band Back Together director John Rando got a nod for his work dustin’ off On the Town.

One thing that I did find interesting . . . we haven’t seen this many shows (13) get snubbed (zero nominations) in five years.  Can anyone say, too much product?

Alright, the noms are over.  Everyone go about their day.

And tomorrow you can start holding your breath again, because the Tony Awards are in just 41 days!

(Got a comment? I love ‘em, so comment below! Email Subscribers, click here then scroll down to say what’s on your mind!)

– Listen to Podcast #17, featuring Elizabeth Furze from AKA Advertising. Click here.

– Win 2 tickets to Goodspeed’s The Theory of Relativity! Click here.

– IN JUST 1 DAY!  Take my first ever online Get Your Show Off The Ground this Wed, 4/29!  Click here!

Comments
  • Randi says:

It’s DEFINITELY too much product, right? This season seems unbelievably crowded, more so than in past years.

• Phil says:

I disagree that it’s too much product. Some long-running shows have (finally, praise be) vacated venues and have allowed room for more shows. Broadway is certainly not suffering with all of the shows that have run and continue to run this season. And we’ve had GOOD product this year, too. Some shows have (sadly) had shortened runs, but some shows have unexpectedly extended… and extended again! This is not a problem, and is – in fact – a good thing.

I think we also have to be careful with the word “snub.” We have a habit of calling anything that isn’t nominated a “snub,” but not every show, actor, designer, director, etc. DESERVES a nomination. Would I have called it a snub if Dame Helen wasn’t nominated? Absolutely, but I don’t find the lack of nominations for some shows a “snub” – while good, they may not have been at the level of everything else that’s been on this season.

But that’s my two cents.

• Jared says:

Wholeheartedly agree. I don’t think we have too much product, and I don’t think every show deserves a nomination. The Tonys are supposed to celebrate the best of the best; this is not a 2nd grade talent show where everyone gets a participation medal.

I’ve always felt that before you claim an actor or production has been “snubbed,” you need to be able to point to one of the nominees that you think should be booted. Is it a little surprising “Finding Neverland” didn’t get nominated? Yes. Did the show get snubbed? I’d argue no, because I don’t see a Best Musical contender that deserves to lose their nomination in favor of Harvey Weinstein’s pet project.

• Kathy Hochberg says:

I didn’t do much better… but I haven’t seen all of the nominees. I did see Neverland and LOVED it. That overlook is very sad.

• Michael Scheman says:

I think 3 of the 4 musical feat. Actresses in ’82 came from Nine. Kudos to Fun Home tho- phenomenonal work. Loved that Curious Incident.. got a Choreograpy nod.

• Andrew says:

Good for Something Rotten! The NY Times can go choke.

• TJ says:

Just last year, three of the five nominees for Best Featured Actor in a Play were from Twelfth Night, with Rylance taking home the trophy. A different category than the Fun Home ladies, sure, but it’s not unprecedented for an acting category to be dominated by a single production.

• Arnold Kuperstein says:

THE VISIT will be the first best musical nominated this year to close immediately after the Tony Awards. As I commented on a previous column, you and your investors will loose every dollar you have spent on the production. Your nominations will only extend the bloodbath by extending the run until June and paying for the production number aired on the Tony Awards. Enjoy your nominations! I feel sorry for your investors and the financial hit they will be taking when the show folds.

• Jared says:

Something tells me “The Visit” investors were fully aware they were taking a big risk and most of them entered into the agreement expecting to lose all their money. People do occasionally invest in shows for the art rather than the prospective financial gain.

• ECP says:

Jeez, let’s hang some crepe, shall we?
      Kudos to risk-taking theater investors! I suspect their memories of supporting THE VISIT will not be centered on dollar signs.

• Kim says:

Did anyone have a better day than Bob Crowley? Nominated for Best Scenic Design AND Best Costume Design in both the play and musical categories. Does anyone remember this happening before?

• Phil says:

AMEN! There isn’t enough celebration for the Designers – especially for somebody as successful as Bob Crowley!

• David Merrick Jr says:

Three things:

1. As I predicted, the nominating committee couldn’t ignore the Pulitzer, and rightfully nominated DISGRACED.

2. Your suggestion to include a fourth nominee for Musical Revival, even if it gets only one vote, only succeeds in cheapening it. Although one would’ve thought the highly-regarded SiDE SHOW deserved a nom.

3. Arnold K., why be such an asshole?

• Arnold Kuperstein says:

If the only purpose of this blog is to sanctify that Ken Davenport is a brilliant and totally astute producer then my comments were out of line. I fear you subscribe to Fox News and advocate that they are fair and balanced and anyone who disagrees is an asshole. I have seen THE VISIT. Have you?

• Ken Wydro says:

The big winners, and deservedly so, will be AMERICAN IN PARIS, SOMETHING ROTTEN and CURIOUS INCIDENT. SIDE SHOW was at least exciting theater, yet no noms can really erase the pain of total losses. Takes a long time to recover from a total loss. The Broadway public don’t buy tix some “artistic” hits for a good reason. Usually, too dull.

• Jim says:

Because I love trivia, I’ll add to the mentions above that Jerome Robbins’ Broadway also featured three featured actress nominees. And I think holds the record for most acting nods in one show at 7.

I would disagree with It’s Only a Play being left out because it was a commercial hit, though–look at Elephant Man and Skylight! I like to think This Is Our Youth got in just because it was great! I think they got the best four in a crowded field this year.

• Larry & Sherri Segall says:

Skylite, what a great play with two great talents, Carey and Bill, both are magical,real, intense and actively involved in this great play from London. Hope Carey gets it, she is amazing L.

• Doug says:

There’s no such thing as “too much product” where theatre is concerned. Keep in mind that there will be even fewer winners than there are nominees, and every other nominated show will be just as much of an also-ran as the shows that didn’t get nominated at all.

• ECP says:

A very good season to go to the theater, for musicals and straight plays. Pretty exciting mix of established names and up-and-comers among the nominees. I’m sorry THIS IS OUR YOUTH actors were shut out in highly competitive and crowded categories. I guess with all the recent press about Lisa Howard’s standout performance in IT SHOULDA BEEN YOU, I expected her to be a nominee. I’m over the moon about gifted Carey Mulligan. HONEYMOON IN VEGAS was a very fun evening, but maybe in the more crowded categories some traditional productions were overshadowed.

• Gary says:

This “different number” of nominees in the top categories is ridiculous. If there’s 4 in the best musical- there should be 4 in revival. Come on – pick a number and stick to it!