Podcast Episode #24 – Broadway powerhouse attorney, John Breglio.
If you have ever produced a workshop, been in a workshop, or just considered using the Actors’ Equity Association workshop contract, you should send you a thank you note to John Breglio.
Because he was one of the three people that wrote it.
John Breglio is “Broadway’s Attorney,” having repped some of the most important and influential people in the biz, including Andrew Lloyd Webber, Stephen Sondheim, Michael Bennett, and Marvin Hamlisch, as well as Producers, Non-Profits, and so many others. He helped write contracts and deals (like the workshop agreement) that have had long lasting ripple effects throughout our industry (and without a doubt for the better – thanks to his unique ability to approach negotiations from both perspectives).
Oh, and he also produces, and was the only name above the title of the recent A Chorus Line revival.
With his kind of experience and expertise, you can only imagine what his hourly rate is. And he kindly sat down with me to discuss the following pro bono:
- Why contracting is faster, but negotiating is slower, than 20 years ago.
- Could a Hollywood Author model ever work on Broadway?
- Will Dreamgirls come back to Broadway? Hear the inside scoop about what’s next for this historic piece.
- What Michael Bennett would think of Broadway today.
- And more.
John also gave me a heads up that he’s got a book coming up about Broadway producing that should be released in the next twelve months.
I’ll be one of the first people to read it.
And after you listen to this podcast, you will be too.
Click here to listen.
Listen to it on iTunes here. (And give me a rating, while you’re there!)
Download it here.
Click here to read the transcript.
(Got a comment? I love ‘em, so comment below! Email Subscribers, click here then scroll down to say what’s on your mind!)
– – – – –
– Win 2 tickets to My Paris by Jason Robert Brown and Alfred Uhry! Click here.
– Like the blog? Like me on Facebook. Click here.