It’s the Spring Awakening Associate Producer Scholarship! You can be an AP! (Updated 2018).

I’ve done a bunch of fun things on this blog, from Will It Recoup?, my fantasy Broadway game (this year’s results coming soon) to crowdfunding Godspell, and a lot more.

But nothing has been more rewarding for me than when we held a contest to find an Associate Producer for Macbeth.

As you can read about on that original announcement blog, I’ve always been concerned about the number of opportunities for young, up-and-coming producers to . . . well . . . produce.  See, unlike television, film or the recording industry, to produce on or Off Broadway you need money, or need to raise money.  And for a lot of younger folks, who haven’t had a chance to network as long, whose college roommates haven’t become tech titans yet, it’s just harder.

But since we all know that the best education comes from doing, how do they learn?  And how do they build a resume that gets them in the door on bigger projects?

And if they can’t get their hands dirty and can’t get on shows that will excite them so they’ll put their heads down and dedicate a life to this challenging business . . . then my fear is that we’ll lose them . . . to television, film or the recording industry.

And without new, young, fresh talent, where will Broadway be in 20 years?

That’s one of the reasons we started the Associate Producer Scholarship.  And it was such a success on Macbeth that I vowed to do it again.

And what better show to start it back up again than my upcoming production of Deaf West’s Spring Awakening?

Yep, one young person out there, between the ages of 18 and 30, is going to earn a chance to be an Associate Producer on Spring Awakening and get their name on the title page of the program, on the house board, get a bio in the program, etc.  But more importantly this winner will work closely with me and my other Producers and Associate Producers on all aspects of the show.  You’ll dig into everything from marketing, planning opening night, Tony voter invitations, and a whole lot more.  And yes, you can bet your bippy you’ll be blogging.  (For a great example of what the Associate Producer will, check out our last winner’s blog about Macbeth on TheAssociateProducersPerspective.com – and by the way, that guy is now assisting Jujamcyn President Jordan Roth.)

It’s going to be a ton of work, but it’s going to be the kind of work you’re going to love.  And if not, then being a Producer isn’t what you were meant to do.

Interested?

Here’s how it’s going to work.

This isn’t no Sunday Giveaway, where the winner is chosen at random.  Oh no, you’re going to have to show us your stuff.

It starts with this application, which is due next Friday, July 31st!  I know, I know, it’s quick, but hey – I just decided I wanted to produce this on Broadway like 30 days ago.

We’ll pick out ten finalists by Tuesday, August 4th.  There will be a group interview later that week and some one-on-ones with me.  And your first day will be at our first rehearsal on the 10th of August.

Got it?

Good.  Sign up below to be sent the application.

And I look forward to having one of you on our producing team.

(Got a comment? I love ‘em, so comment below! Email Subscribers, click here then scroll down to say what’s on your mind!)

Associate Producers and Producers alike, put in an extensive amount of work to get a show off the ground. Visit my post What does a Broadway Producer do? Over 100 Producers Respond, to get a real inside feel as to how much it actually takes to be a Broadway producer.

Get a contact list of Broadway Producers, monthly newsletters and webinars, plus a Tip of the Week email, when you join TheProducersPerspectivePRO today.

Join the club here.

Comments
  • Glenn says:

Very cool. Good luck to all the applicants.

• Reginald says:

An unpaid internship by any other name…

• Granny says:

If I were just a little younger !

• Elizabeth says:

Ken, as a 20 something who would love to work on this show: I wish I could do a full time unpaid gig, but I have to pay my student loans and make enough to live!

• Bobby says:

That is great news for the younger people. But there are more older people that have been trying to break into the business as producer or a director but it seems the older people are lost between the cracks now days. If your not under 40 now days it seems no one wants to help 40s, 50s, and above to achieve their dreams. Yet a lot of them are the ones that buy the tickets to the theatre and have supported it all their lives to help theatre get where it is today.. So just something to talk about in your next meeting with other directors and producers is why not help some of us that are in 50s or 60s be able to work as a Associate Producer or a Associate Director on a major project to help us home in on our craft as well. Just a thought..

• Cathie A says:

I’d love to apply but I’ll admit I’m over 30 – frankly I think that you are limiting yourself by limiting the age range!
    I once worked where they wouldn’t seriously interview applicants that lived more than X miles away from the business. As it turned out an applicant that lived twice as far away turned out to be our best staff member.
    What ever happened to the “40 under 40 to watch” rogues gallery?
    Its never too late to start a new career.

• Tyrone says:

Where was this in the last decade? 🙂

Obviously, I’m outside the age range, but want to publicly make the case for why a Deaf would-be producer is most deserving of this opportunity. I can think of two points right now:

1) Spring Awakening returning to Broadway, imagined the way Michael Arden and Deaf West do, is a rare occasion. You can count the number of times Deaf performers have been featured on Broadway on one hand. Of course, you can count up to a thousand on one hand in ASL, but that’s beside the point: this sort of opportunity should be afforded to any Deaf producers and crew members, as well.

2) A Deaf producer can offer perspectives not often considered, and offer understanding and connection with the Deaf cast/crew and audeinces. A Deaf producer will take away from this experience a much better understanding of how to work within mainstream productions, and thereby increase the chances that another mainstream production featuring Deaf performers will appear.

Thanks for considering, and may the best producer get the job! Good luck, and best of success!

• Kaitlyn says:

It is thanks to Tyrone for sharing this on Facebook and catching my eye. Fortunately, I am within the under 30 – that I may be considered. I agree that a Deaf would-be producer would be most ideal choice for the reasons he stated in his post above.

It is a wonderful opportunity for any would-be producer to get their feet wet, Deaf or hearing 🙂

• Jeanette says:

I too am above the age limit you impose on this amazing opportunity. It took me a very long time to occur to me that aside from just acting I might want to produce – and it took me longer than that to test the waters to see if I wanted to do it in the first place. I understand the value of having a 20-something-year-old starry-eyed intern, I do. I also understand the value of bringing on someone who has been in the industry for more than 10 years, who knows what she wants, and is ready for a bigger opportunity. JUST SAYIN.