Podcast Episode #32: Kristin Caskey talks the “fun” of Producing Fun Home and more.
Kristin Caskey was part of the producing wonder team behind Thoroughly Modern Millie (along with Hal Luftig and her partner Mike Isaacson) that grabbed the Tony Award away from Urinetown, and now the show is one of the most produced musicals across the country.
And this year, Kristin (again along with her partner Mike Isaacson, co-producer Barbara Whitman and more) did it again . . . grabbing a Tony Award for the big time underdog Fun Home.
I’ve known Kristin since the Millie days, when I was a Company Manger, and she was a first time lead Producer. As the President of Fox Theatricals, she’s produced a ton since then, including Legally Blonde, Caroline, or Change, Bring It On, and more.
I was so thrilled when she agreed to jump on the ol’ podcast so she could talk about her career since Millie, as well as . . .
- How she saw huge potential in Fun Home when so many (including myself) were scared by its subject matter.
- Why relationships with Authors are such important things for Producers to develop.
- For once and for all . . . is there a “road-block” of Tony Award voters?
- What she wishes she knew about Broadway Producing when she started that she knows now.
- Do you want to be a producer? And are you not in NY (just like she wasn’t when she started)? Here’s what you should do.
Click here to listen.
Listen to it on iTunes here. (And give me a rating, while you’re there!)
Download it here.
Click here to read the transcript.
(Oh, and after you’re done hearing how Fun Home won the Tony and you want to hear how she and her team did it on Millie, click here to listen to Hal Luftig tell the story.)
(Got a comment? I love ‘em, so comment below! Email Subscribers, click here then scroll down to say what’s on your mind!)
– – – – –
– Like the blog? Like me on Facebook! Click here.
– Win two tickets to see Audra McDonald at the Hollywood Bowl! Click here.
– Did you know I wrote a book about raising money? Click here.