Podcast Episode #53: Tony Award Winning Director Des McAnuff
As you probably could imagine, it’s hard to establish yourself as an A-list Broadway Director.
It’s also hard to establish yourself as an A-list Artistic Director at a Top Regional Theater.
Des McAnuff has done both.
(Do me a favor, go back and read those titles again . . . and just let the diversity of that material soak in . . . so you understand just how good this guy is.)
On top of his directorial credits, Des has been the Director-In-Charge at both the La Jolla Playhouse and the Stratford Festival, taking both organizations to new heights during his reign.
As you can imagine, he and I had a lot to talk about, including . . .
- How starting a theater company with other like-minded up-and-comers helped launch his career (that theater company is the now powerhouse producing org, The Dodgers, by the way).
- How he develops a show . . . which is never the same way twice.
- How the Broadway/Regional Theater enhancement model was born . . and why he thinks what’s happening in that market today is “dangerous.”
- The challenges of creating a musical with pre-existing music (Tommy, Jersey Boys) and his tips on how to do it.
- What show (or should I say “shows”?) he’s dying to direct . . . and why.
I mean, this guy could have his own blog, TheDirectorsPerspective.com . . . and I’d be a daily reader.
Until then, enjoy his podcast!
Click here to listen.
Listen to it on iTunes here. (And give me a rating, while you’re there!)
Download it here.
Click here to read the transcript.
(Got a comment? I love ‘em, so comment below! Email Subscribers, click here then scroll down to say what’s on your mind!)
– – – – –
– Listen to Podcast Episode #52 with Tony Award-winning Lyricist Lynn Ahrens! Click here.
– Win two tickets to Kinky Boots on Broadway with Wayne Brady! Click here.
– Only 24 performances left of Spring Awakening. Get your tickets