Podcast Episode 69 – Meredith Blair
The Broadway touring business is often called “The Road.”
If that’s the case, then Booking Agents are the traffic cops, giving the green light to some, sending some right, sending some left, and pulling some over to say, “What the heck were you thinking trying to drive down this road?”
One of the best cops the biz has is Meredith Blair, the President of The Booking Group (one of the most powerful booking agencies we’ve got) who has single-handedly booked over . . . well, you’re just going to have to listen to this podcast to hear how many shows she has booked. And you’ll also hear . . .
- How the touring industry has changed in the last 20 years . . . and how it hasn’t.
- The biggest challenge for Presenter/Producer negotiations and how she’d solve it.
- How Producers can use tours to improve on the original New York production.
- Is there a market for straight plays on the road?
- Her take on the union tours vs. non-union tours debate.
Broadway ain’t just on Broadway anymore. It’s all over the country (the “longest street in the world,” according to some). And that means if you want to be a successful Broadway Producer or successful Broadway Anything, you gotta understand touring.
And there’s no one better to explain that to you than Meredith Blair.
Take it away, Meredith!
Click above to listen.
Listen to it on iTunes here. (And give me a rating, while you’re there!)
Download it here.
Click here to read the transcript.