Podcast Episode 73 – Ben Stanton
And of course, when I saw his work on Spring (his current nomination), well, I understood why he was on everyone’s short list. And now he’s on mine too.
Ben took time out from his crazy schedule of lighting like 147 shows and being a new Dad to help me understand how lighting affects a show and . . .
- How being trained as a drummer makes him a better lighting designer.
- How guessing is involved in lighting design.
- Does he like how shows are incorporating more and more projections? (An interesting perspective considering his wife is the super talented projection designer Lucy Mackinnon, who also was on Spring.)
- What LEDs are doing to Broadway and is that a good thing or a bad thing?
- What he wants all Broadway producers to know about lighting design.
I’m a huge believer that to produce theater or to write for the theater or to direct for the theater . . . to do anything that has to look at the whole picture . . . you need to understand the elements. And Ben does a great job in this podcast of, well, showing us the light.
Enjoy the podcast!
Click above to listen.
Listen to it on iTunes here. (And give me a rating, while you’re there!)
Download it here.
Click here to read the transcript!