Podcast Episode 75 – The Producing Artistic Director of Lincoln Center Theater, André Bishop
I think of Lincoln Center Theater like its own Kingdom.
In fact, if Broadway were Game of Thrones, then Lincoln Center would be Highgarden, a beautiful land off in the distance that produces fantastic exports, and is one of the most powerful and respected kingdoms in all the world(s).
And the beloved king would be Producing Artistic Director, André Bishop.
André has been at Lincoln Center for almost 25 years now, and was the Artistic Director of Playwrights Horizons, another of the most preeminent non-profit theaters in all the seven kingdoms. . . . so he knows a thing or two about a thing or two when it comes to how to run a theater company.
And he sat down with me to tell me all about his journey and . . .
- Why he’s an Artistic Director that never wanted to direct.
- Why he never considers the audience when picking shows for his theaters.
- How he chooses the right directors for his projects.
- Where he would start if he was a young writer . . . commercial or non-profit.
- His thoughts on the Broadway turf war between commercial and non-profit productions.
I took a non-profit theater class when I was at NYU. It was a terrific class. But I learned more in my 45 minutes with André, and I’m sure you will too.
Click here to listen.
Listen to it on iTunes here. (And give me a rating, while you’re there!)
Download it here.
Click here to read the transcript.
(Got a comment? I love ‘em, so comment below! Email Subscribers, click here then scroll down to say what’s on your mind!)
– – – – –
– Only 1 performance left of Daddy Long Legs. Get your tickets today! Click here.
– Only 4 days left to enter The Producer’s Perspective Tony Pool for a chance to win up to $1,000 in Broadway tickets! Click here.
– Help Deaf West Theatre’s Spring Awakening perform on the Tonys! 5 days left to donate and $64,000 to go! Click here to watch our cast and company tell you why it’s important for you to support our efforts.