Podcast Episode 81 – The New York Times Theater Reporter, Michael Paulson
I’ve been on the receiving end of questions from Michael Paulson, the Broadway “beat” reporter for the New York Times, that I thought it was time that I asked HIM a few questions.
And wouldn’t you know it . . . he agreed!
Michael has a unique perspective on our biz, having just joined the fray a couple of years ago, fresh off quite a different beat.
What was that beat? You know, something really similar to the theater . . . religion! (I guess for some it’s like a religion, right?) Yep, that was his name you heard bandied about in Spotlight for his work covering the abuse scandal in the Boston area archdiocese – which won him a Pulitzer – and inspired this book.
I wanted to hear what someone who just joined our industry at a high level thought of how we were doing, how accepting we were to newcomers, and what it was like to get stories out of our notoriously tight-lipped industry.
Michael didn’t disappoint, and answered all the above and then some including . . .
- The differences (and surprising similarities) between covering theater and religion.
- How the New York Times is competing with Candy Crush . . . and if it’s winning.
- Is all press really good press?
- How theater and the newspaper industry are facing similar challenges.
- His favorite Broadway stories so far . . . and the story he’d like to write about, but hasn’t gotten the scoop . . . yet.
Enjoy some quotes and great sound bytes from a guy whose job is usually to go out and get some.
Click here to listen.
Listen to it on iTunes here. (And if you like the podcast, give it a great review, while you’re there!)
Download it here.
Click here to read the transcript.
(Got a comment? I love ‘em, so comment below! Email Subscribers, click here then scroll down to say what’s on your mind!)
– – – – –
– Listen to Podcast Episode 80 with Tony-winning Producers Sue Frost and Randy Adams! Click here.
– Get everything you need to help get your show off the ground when you join TheProducersPerspectivePro for free. Join the club today.