Back to School and a Bloggin’ change!
I don’t know about you, but I always think of September as the start of the New Year. Maybe I just never shook the scholastic calendar, or maybe it’s because Broadway’s season kicks into high gear after Labor Day, or maybe it’s because my bday and my anniversary are at the end of August. Whatever the reason, for me, my year starts . . . now.
And as with the start of any new year, I always take stock of what I’ve done over the last year, where I am today, and where I want to go tomorrow. I set goals, and then devise specific and actionable plans to meet those goals.
What I realized as I labored over all of this over Labor Day weekend, was that there are three things that I do that I love so much and want to do more of. And they are . . .
- I love producing and creating shows.
- I love working with my consulting clients and PRO members and helping get their shows off the ground.
And third, but not least . . .
- I love being a husband. (Your goals and aspirations shouldn’t only be professional, you know.)
Because these are the areas I want to focus more of my time on and because there are a lot of exciting things simmering on my developmental stove (including the Once on This Island announcement from last week, and a couple of other things I can’t talk about yet), I decided that there were a few things that had to give.
See, there’s a theory out there that human beings have a limit on the number of things they can be great at. Some say 3, some say 5. The idea is to pick those things, and then focus as much of your time on those things as possible, even if that means cutting back on other things that you enjoy.
One of things I’m going to cut back on is writing this blog.
I’m not going away completely. Oh no, I love writing this blog too much. And it has been one of the most rewarding things I’ve ever done . . . in my entire life. It has introduced me to amazing people, it has focused my own thinking on so many issues, and it has even made me re-evaluate my position on other things thanks to your comments. It’s been awesome.
So I’m not going to stop blogging.
But I am going to do it a bit less.
I’ve been blogging daily for the past eight years (!). It has been one of the greatest habits I’ve ever taught myself. But starting this week, that schedule is going to change. Going forward I will post twice a week . . . a podcast on Monday and a blog on Thursday.
If you want more content from me, there are ways to get it.
- Like me on Facebook. I’ll be doing more “micro-blogging” there, like I did this past weekend when I commented on the Wells Fargo controversy.
- Subscribe to this blog’s email list. I often send my subscribers exclusive content that doesn’t appear online, so this is the only way to get it.
- Join Pro. I write 5+ articles a month on raising money, marketing, writing, and more every single month. Get a free sample here.
- And occasionally, I’ll throw up a bonus post here in addition to Monday/Thursday if there’s something that I just can’t keep quiet about. 🙂
So that’s my new plan. And I know it’s going to allow me to do better work on and off Broadway for myself, for my clients, and hopefully for you too.
Now, what’s your back-to-school new year’s plan?
See you Thursday.
(Got a comment? I love ‘em, so comment below! Email Subscribers, click here then scroll down to say what’s on your mind!)
– – – – –
– Enter the Sunday Giveaway to win Ken’s Three How-Tos on Broadway Producing! Click here to enter.