Podcast Episode 97 – Three Time Tony Award Winning Director, Jack O’Brien
Jack and I set a date for his podcast a few months ago . . . and I’ve been like a kid on Christmas Eve waiting for the date to come.
Not just because I knew he’d drop advice like The Dalai Lama on Directing, but also because he’s one of the best speakers and storytellers around. If you ever find yourself at a party and Jack is there? Cozy up nearby and just listen . . . he’ll educate and entertain you for hours.
Today, I’m bringing some of that Jack party to you directly! We got a good 45 minutes with the A-list Director of The Front Page, It’s Only A Play, Hairspray, Coast of Utopia and so many more (his IBDB page is like a menu at a diner . . . it goes on and on and has everything!)
So listen in to hear Jack talk about . . .
- What losing his hair had to do with his directing career.
- Why he believes his job is to get out of the way.
- How he goes from Stoppard to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory . . and the difference (if there is one?) in his process.
- How not getting a directing gig taught him so much about how to get one (if you want to direct in the commercial theater you gotta hear this).
- Dealing with the shows that don’t work . . . and how he storms back afterwards.
And when you’re done with the podcast, if you want more Jack, I highly recommend his book, Jack Be Nimble: The Accidental Education of an Unintentional Director which you can get here.
Click here to listen.
Listen to it on iTunes here. (And if you like the podcast, give it a great review, while you’re there!)
Download it here.
(Got a comment? I love ‘em, so comment below! Email Subscribers, click here then scroll down to say what’s on your mind!)
– – – – –
– Listen to Podcast Episode 96 with Tony Nominated Composer, Lyricist, and More, Andrew Lippa! Click here.
– Get everything you need to help get your show off the ground when you join TheProducersPerspectivePro for free. Join the club today.