Podcast Episode 135 – SpongeBob The Musical Bookwriter, Kyle Jarrow
Kyle Jarrow is the ultimate interdisciplinary writer.
He has written films that have been screened at Sundance. He has a new TV show on the CW right now. And this fall he’ll make his Broadway debut as a bookwriter with SpongeBob The Musical.
Pretty cool, right?
Oh, I forgot to mention . . . he also leads the rock band Sky-Pony with his equally as interdisciplinarily-talented wife, Lauren Worsham.
That’s right, folks, from big brand Broadway entertainment to super-hip indie-pop, Kyle writes it all.
That’s why I was so interested in chatting with him . . . because, well, honestly, it’s one thing to write for different mediums, it’s another to achieve success in each one of those mediums.
I wanted to find out what his secret sauce was.
Listen to hear him share the ingredients to that sauce as well as:
- How he got the job for SpongeBob (a process different than most musicals).
- What a bookwriter’s job really is, and how that changes with different collaborators.
- Why he wrote A Very Merry Unauthorized Children’s Scientology Pageant, and how that got him into some trouble.
- How an idea informs what medium you should write it for.
- Just how the heck he keeps all these projects straight . . . and makes them successful!
We’re going to be reading, hearing and listening to a lot of Kyle’s stuff in the future. So you might as well start with this podcast.
You’ll be saying, “I heard him when . . . ”
Click here for the link to my podcast with Kyle!
Listen to it on iTunes here. (And if you like the podcast, give it a great review, while you’re there!)
Download it here.