Podcast Episode 169 – Rachel Chavkin
“What about Rachel Chavkin?”
If you’ve asked someone for ideas on who should direct a project recently, I’d bet money that you’ve heard those four words.
Rachel is one of the hottest directors on the market today, thanks to the success of Natasha, Pierre, the upcoming Hadestown (which wasn’t even announced for Broadway when we recorded this podcast), and more. Audiences, Critics and Producers alike all see something very special in her unique style and know good things are in store.
That’s why the other five words you hear in conversations about new projects and new directors are . . .
“Rachel Chavkin would be perfect.”
Rachel and I talked about being an in-demand director as well as . . .
- How performing 10-minute pieces helped her find her directorial voice.
- The difference between teching a show on Broadway and teching a show anywhere else.
- Why she’s ok with a messy rehearsal process and how it helps.
- Why she doesn’t like to give advice.
- Her reaction to the immersive movement and her part in it.
After listening, I’d bet money that if someone asks you for a recommendation for a Director next week, guess what you say?
Click above for my podcast with Rachel!
Listen to it on iTunes here. (And if you like the podcast, give it a great review while you’re there!)
Download it here.