Podcast Episode 175 – Composer-Lyricist and Winner of So Many Awards, Ryan Scott Oliver
With apartments as small as they are in this city, I’m not sure where Ryan Scott Oliver keeps all his trophies.
Because Ryan has won just about every single award an emerging musical theatre writer can win in this town. The Jonathan Larson, multiple ASCAPs, Richard Rodgers, etc, etc. I mean, you’d think this guy has a big future ahead of him.
Oh, wait, Entertainment Weekly did call him “The Future of Broadway.”
And that’s why I wanted to talk to him.
Ryan has built an amazing career of super cool projects from Darling to 35mm to Jasper In Deadland, all of which are performed all over the world. Recently, he passed over 1 million streams on Spotify.
And he hasn’t yet made his Broadway debut.
It’s coming, for sure, but how has he done what he has done in the meantime?
We found out on this podcast. We also discussed:
- Why he decided to go into musical theatre rather than join some of his peers in pop music.
- How he found a balance between making money and pursuing the projects he’s really passionate about . . . and how you can too.
- His pros and cons of grad school.
- Why he founded the super successful Actor Training Program Actor Therapy with Broadway Star Lindsay Mendez.
- The reasons why feedback from fellow writers is so important.
Click above for my podcast with Ryan!
Listen to it on iTunes here. (And if you like the podcast, give it a great review while you’re there!)
Download it here.