Podcast Episode 200: Tony Award-Winning Broadway Producer, Mara Isaacs
First of all . . . 200 episodes y’all!!!
This episode of The Producer’s Perspective Podcast is our 200th! Ahhh! Seems like just yesterday I said, “I wonder if anyone in the biz would sit down with me on the record about their perspective on making theater today.”
Well, so far, 200 of them have. And I’m so thankful to all of them for sharing their wisdom with me and all of you. Get this . . . and I didn’t believe it myself when I asked for the stats, but . . . these podcasts have been listened to close to 1 million times.
One of my missions in life is to “amplify the conversation about the theater” and I am so thankful to the 200 guests who have helped me do just that.
And we’re not done. In fact, we’re about to announce a partnership to get our conversations to even more people, so stay tuned.
But for now, I couldn’t think of a better guest for our 200th episode than the Producer of the 2019 Tony Award–Winner for Best Musical (Hadestown), Ms. Mara Isaacs!
Mara is one of the few people in the theater industry who has sat in a Lead Producing Broadway Chair and in the Head of a Non Profit Institution Chair, and those two chairs are very different . . .
Or are they?
I asked Mara exactly that, which she answered in this advice-packed episode, and we also talked about:
- What it means to her to be a Creative Producer in 2019
- How a simple shift in how she asked investors for money got her to raise a lot more money and a lot faster.
- How sitting in her car in her driveway led her to produce Hadestown.
- How building a career outside of Broadway helped her to see Broadway differently.
- Being one of the few female lead producers + how that is changing.
Listen in and you’ll understand why Mara is an inspiration in producing what you love and the results that can come from it.
- Click above to listen to this episode.
- Listen to it on iTunes here. (And if you like the podcast, give it a great review while you’re there!)
- Download it here.
And now…. This week’s #SongWriterOfTheWeek is Niko Tsakalakos! Today we have “Alone” from his new musical INTO THE WILD. Music & lyrics by Niko Tsakalakos and book & lyrics by Janet Allard. If you like what you hear and what to learn more, please visit www.nikosongs.com.
Thank you to Terry Knickerbocker Studio for sponsoring another episode of The Producer’s Perspective Podcast. For more information, visit terryknickerbockerstudio.com.