Episode 212 – Six-Time Tony Award-Winning Costume Designer, William Ivey Long
You want a show to look glam?
Get William Ivey Long.
William has not only won six Tony Awards, but he has been nominated for 11 more and has already been inducted into the Theater Hall of Fame!
And he is still designing as much as he ever has, working in all the entertainment mediums, from opera to ballet to tv and film. He has a whopping 76 (!) Broadway credits including Chicago, Beetlejuice, Tootsie, Cinderella, Grey Gardens, Hairspray, The Producers, Crazy For You, Nine, and the new musical Diana (which he was prepping to open when we recorded this podcast – BC – before Coronavirus).
William is always a joy to chat with and learn from and we discussed a variety of subjects including . . .
- What on earth is an “osmosis lair”?
- How can playwrights help costume designers?
- Why are costumes so damn expensive?
- The “special spark” that makes a show special . . . and succeed.
- Developing new audiences for the theater in 2020.
Enjoy the podcast!
- Click above to listen!
- Listen to it on iTunes here. (And if you like the podcast, give it a great review while you’re there!)
- Download it here.
And this week’s #SongwriterOfTheWeek is Nicholas Kaminski! If you enjoyed the outro song in this episode, go on over to https://kaminskimusic.com/.
– – – –
Are you watching our livestream? Tonight, Composer/Lyricist Andrew Lippa joins the lineup of guests to appear on The Producer’s Perspective LIVE! At 8pm EDT tonight, we’ll be talking about writing your way out of the crisis, Dramatist Guild Foundation, and more! Tune in.