Episode 213 – Broadway Press Agent Extraordinaire, Irene Gandy
Irene Gandy has been working as a press agent and producer on Broadway for over 50 years.
Do you need more of an intro that than?
Well, how about this . . . she’s got hundreds of shows on her resume, from Glengarry Glen Ross (a couple of times) to All The Way, and even all the way back to Gemini, and was recently inducted into the Oral History Project in the Lincoln Center Library. She is still the only black female member of the Association of Theatrical Press Agents and Managers (ATPAM) so you can imagine what it was like breaking into this biz when she began.
Irene and I sat down BC (before Covid) and told-me-like-it-is on all things, including . . .
- Why you should never “believe your own press release” when promoting a show.
- What your goal should be when trying to get attention from the media.
- Why being honest gets you more press, more sales . . . more everything.
- Is there such a thing as bad press? If so, how to avoid it.
- Her favorite press stunts and how they came up with them.
I’ve always said that press can sell more tickets to a show than any advertising medium around. So tune in to this masterclass and get actionable to-dos to help you sell tickets . . . or sell yourself! (Yep, Directors, Actors, etc, all can get career boosts because of press.)
Enjoy the podcast!
- Click here to listen on our site!
- Listen to it on iTunes here. (And if you like the podcast, give it a great review while you’re there!)
- Download it here.
Don’t forget! I’m going LIVE tonight (and every night) over on my Facebook at 8pm eastern. Tonight’s guest is Director/Choreographer Kathleen Marshall. To see the full schedule visit, www.theproducersperspective.