Did you miss me?
Ok, maybe not.
But did you miss my guests???
That’s what I thought!
Well, the wait is over. Welcome back to the brand new season of The Producer’s Perspective Podcast!
(Insert confetti cannons here)
Believe it or you-know-what, over the break, we celebrated five years of podcasting. Five freakin’ years. When I first started out, with my portable microphone and no idea of what I was doing, I never imagined we’d have over 200 episodes and that so many of our industry’s leaders would be so willing to sit and share their wisdom. The generosity of theater folks is beyond.
And a perfect example of one of those folks is today’s guest . . . Mr. Thomas Schumacher, the President and Producer of Disney Theatrical Productions, who oversees the development, creation, and execution of Disney’s legitimate stage entertainment worldwide. Yeah, we’re talking the guy responsible for getting The Lion King to Broadway, not to mention Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Frozen and everything else under the Disney brand.
Tom and I sat down to talk about the role Disney has played in the building of the modern Broadway as well as . . .
- How the film version of The Little Mermaid gave musicals back their voice
- How theatre and Disney become part of your family heritage
- What Broadway definitely needs to learn about diversity from Disney’s Mulan.
- How Disney’s purchase of the New Amsterdam Theater helped revitalize Times Square.
- A hint of what might be next for Disney on Broadway.
A lot of folks think that Disney is a big corporation. Well, in this podcast, you’ll hear why its success is because it’s not run like a big corporation. It’s run by one of the best independent producers in the business, who just happens to be backed by one heck of a big investor.
- Click here to listen on our site!
- Listen to it on iTunes here. (And if you like the podcast, give it a great review while you’re there!)
- Download it here.
And this week’s #SongwriterOfTheWeek is Grace McLean! If you enjoyed the outro song in this episode, go on over to www.gracemclean.com or check her out on Instagram & Twitter @thatgracemclean.