That’s how this episode kicks off . . . with a conversation about soap.
Not just any soap, mind you. Alan Cumming’s soap. Like not his bar of Ivory . . . like his actual branded and sold on shelves, soap.
So you see, Alan Cumming truly has done everything.
And what’s amazing is, as you’ll hear in one of my favorite podcasts of my 200+ episodes, he’s only just getting started.
I knew when I saw him in Cabaret back in 1998 that I was watching something . . . well . . . beyond. Then I had the pleasure of producing his one-man Macbeth on Broadway and realized that Alan was not just an actor . . . he was a Super Hero of an Artist.
We talked about Cabaret, Macbeth, and a whole host of things on this podcast about acting, art, getting recognized in public, success, failure, running nightclubs, and yes even those bars of soap (and how you can get them), as well as:
- How he still gets nervous and how he deals with those nerves.
- Why he is working on a solo dance piece . . . when he is NOT a trained dancer.
- How being vulnerable is what gives him confidence.
- The importance of actors being able to “turn it on.”
- Why artists feel the need to leave on the edge of fear (and why he wants to do a documentary about it).
This episode is a must for all TheaterMakers out there, because Alan is one of the most successful makers of art . . . his own way . . . that is.
Here’s how to listen!
- Click here to listen on our site!
- Listen to it on iTunes here. (And if you like the podcast, give it a great review while you’re there!)
- Download it here.
This week’s #SongWriterOfTheWeek is Joey Contreras! Check out his song “Joyride” from his latest EP, “Joyride.” It’s available on iTunes/Spotify/Apple Music. If you like what you hear and want to learn more, check out www.joeycontreras.com or @joeycontreras on Instagram.
This episode is brought to you by Sunlight Studios. With 8 bright and spacious studios for rent, you can rehearse your next Broadway hit knowing you’re in good hands. To book a studio today, please visit www.sunlightstudios.com. Use Code DAVENPORT to receive a 5% discount on bookings until January 2, 2020.
And when you’re done listening to the podcast, go listen to Alan’s cabaret song and story show, Legal Immigrant on Audible!