The following are the Broadway grosses for the week ending May 13, 2018.
The Broadway grosses are courtesy of The Broadway League
Read more here:
When Tony Award Winner Lisa Kron was a theater major in college, she was told she wouldn’t succeed . . . because she wasn’t “thin, pretty, or straight enough.”
Thankfully, Lisa didn’t let that stop her, and she went on to write and star in (!) Well, and write the Tony Award-winning lyrics and book to Fun Home on Broadway, one of the most unexpected hits Broadway has seen . . . ever.
Her passion and determination helped prove to this business and the world, that being unique conquers the status quo, every effin’ time.
Lisa and I talked about her entrepreneurial and unexpected journey in the theater including . . .
- Her #1 rule to success: if a door opened, and she was scared, she forced herself to step through it. (Words to live by.)
- Why her early writing horrified her. And how she got better.
- How performing stand-up helped hone her stage writing.
- Being mistaken for a seat-filler at the Tony Awards . . . the year she was nominated!
- Who young writers should be trying to connect to in order to have a successful career (hint: it’s NOT who you think).
- Why trying to increase diversity in terms of gender and race is like looking for your keys. (This is such a brilliant analogy – only a Tony Award-winning writer could come up with it, so make sure you listen.)