I’m channeling my inner Richard Dawson today (or my inner Steve Harvey for those youngins out there) and revealing the results of our annual Tony Awards survey.
In case you missed it (and if you were subscribed to this blog you wouldn’t have – so take a moment and do that now), the morning after this year’s Tonys, I posted my usual recap of my Top 5 Favorite Tony Moments, and then put some questions to all of you. Did you watch? How did this year’s compare to last year’s? Et cetera, et cetera . . . as the King of Siam would say.
And now, I’m ready to reveal the results (along with some thoughts from me).
So, and this one’s for you Richard Dawson . . . “Survey says!”
- 99.31% of Producer’s Perspective readers watched the Tony Awards.
- On a scale of 1 to 10, here’s how you rated the Tony Awards Telecast:
- 36.64% gave it a 10
- 39.31% gave it a 9
- 19.85% gave it an 8
- That’s a 95.80% “8 or better” rating.
- NOTE FROM KEN: Last year’s “8 or better” rating was only 45.97%. Satisfaction with the awards more than doubled!
- Compared to last year’s telecast:
- 45.45% said it was much better
- 48.48% said it was better
- 4.55% said it was the same
- 1.14% said it was worse
- 5.39% said it was much worse
- On a scale of 1 to 10, here’s how you rated James Corden as the host:
- 57.59% gave him a 10
- 25.68% gave him a 9
- 14.01% gave him an 8
- NOTE FROM KEN : The lowest rating Mr. Corden received was a 7.
- Your favorite part of the telecast, ranked from highest to lowest was):
- Production numbers – 39.39%
- The opening number – 25.76%
- Acceptance speeches – 10.98%
- Other – 10.98%
- The host – 5.68%
- The stage door performances – 3.79%
- Finding out who won – 1.89%
- The closing number – 1.52%
- The presenters – 0%
- NOTE FROM KEN: For core theater people, presenters don’t matter . . . but they might for the casual Tony Awards watcher.
- Your least favorite part of the telecast was . . .
- The stage door performances
- Not all the awards being televised
- Replay of Carpool Karaoke
- Your favorite musical number was . . .
- Hamilton – 28.79%
- The Color Purple – 20.83%
- Spring Awakening– 11.74%
- School of Rock – 10.61%
- Waitress – 7.58%
- Shuffle Along – 7.20%
- Bright Star – 5.30%
- On Your Feet – 3.79%
- Fiddler on the Roof – 1.89%
- NOTE FROM KEN: Interesting correlation: two of the bottom four shows have closed or will be closing.
- We asked what you would suggest to the Tony Producers to make it a more exciting evening. Here are some quotes that represent the most common themes I heard:
- “Sign James Corden to a long term contract.”
- “Televise the design award winners and speeches!”
- “Bring back the Best Sound Design awards!”
- “Show actual video segments of the nominated plays.”
And there she blows! According to you, this was the best Tony Awards we have had in a while. And it’s no wonder that the ratings were the highest we’ve seen in 15 years.
Was that because of Hamilton?
We’ll find out next year . . . when we don’t have Hamilton.
Although, actually, something tells me it just may make an appearance or two.
(Got a comment? I love ‘em, so comment below! Email Subscribers, click here then scroll down to say what’s on your mind!)
– – – – –
– Need help getting your show off the ground? Sign up for my seminar on 7/16 in Los Angeles! Click here.
– Win two tickets to see West Side Story with the LA Philharmonic! Click here.
– Get everything you need to help get your show off the ground when you join TheProducersPerspectivePro for free. Join the club today.