Telecharge released a third installment of their report on Broadway performance times recently, once again challenging us all to thoroughly examine our perf schedule and ask, “Do we have the best performance times for our customers or are we just going along with tradition?”
This report concentrated solely on Out-Of-Town buyers (tourists) and Suburbanites, since those two groups account from more than 80% of our sales.
Here are a few bullet points from the in-depth analysis:
- Monday night has the highest percentage of out-of-towners, but Thursday has 3x as many out-of-town sales as Monday.
- Wednesday evening is typically the weakest-selling performance, but twice as many out-of-towners bought tickets for a Wednesday evening as a Monday evening.
- Unlike out-of-town buyers, suburban buyers show a significant preference for matinee performances.
- Sunday and Monday evenings are the two weakest performances for sales to tourists but they have a high percentage of sales from them: 52% and 54%, comparable to Friday and Saturday night. These performances depend more on tourists than other performances.
- The peak performances for out-of-town buyers fall between Thursday and Sunday afternoon.
- Thursday is a stronger performance with out-of-town buyers than Sunday matinee or Wednesday night.
What does all the data in these three reports tell us? Should we have 7 PM performances on other nights besides Tuesday? Should we have Thursday and/or Friday matinees? If tourists are here between Thursday and Sunday, what about a Friday at 5 (like our friends in London)? What about 9 PMs on Saturday?
These reports don’t have all the answers. As a therapist once told me . . . “We don’t have all the answers, we just know what questions to ask.”
These fantastic reports challenge us all to ask our own questions about our own specific shows. Don’t follow tradition for tradition’s sake (unless, of course, you’re doing Fiddler). Use the stats, study your audience, and shake up your times until you find what works best.
Let’s hope for more of these in the future.
Or you know what would be really cool? A Telecharge ticketing blog!
Only 8 days left to enter The Producer’s Perspective Tony Pool. Win an iPad!
Play today! Click here!
And don’t forget to RSVP for my Tony Party!