Last Saturday, another great group of super passionate producers, writers, artists and more woke up early and spent the day with me and the other entrepreneurial artists who signed up for my Get Your Show Off The Ground Seminar.
We had a blast.
We heard about all sorts of projects at various stages of development. We talked about finding and signing collaborators, how to wear multiple hats on multiple projects, and yes, you guessed it, we talked about how to raise all those important funds. And everyone walked away with a to-do list that they were psyched to check off.
While it’s impossible to recreate the energy of the room in a blog, I thought I’d do what I did after the last seminar, and post five simple takeaways that resonated with the group, that will hopefully resonate with you.
- Creating experiential entertainment has never been more important than it is today.
- The nicer the theater you put your show in, the higher the expectations from your audience and the press, will be.
- Your agents and your lawyers work for you. You do not work for them.
- Developing scripts can be like sick children. And if your kid isn’t getting better, don’t stick with your one doctor. Take him/her to the best doctor you can afford.
- Just because your show doesn’t belong on Broadway, doesn’t mean it doesn’t belong.
There was a ton of other great stuff that came out of the seminar, and so much of it came from the participants themselves! These seminars have turned into great collaborative think tanks of some of the most exciting and emerging theatrical minds I’ve seen. Thanks for being so awesome, guys.
If you’d like to participate in one of my seminars, sign up today by clicking here. The next seminar will be on Saturday, November 13th. (The timing is ideal for all of you post-festival peeps curious about what to do AFTER the festival.) FYI, I’ve modified the structure a bit to make the seminar more efficient, but that also means that there are only 12 spots available. These spots will go fast, so register today.
Click here for more info and we’ll see you there!